Streak to Take Over as Zim Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Streak to Take Over as Zim Head Coach

Post by Boundary »

http://www.thezimbabweindependent.com/i ... head-coach
MORE key changes in the Zimbabwe cricket team’s technical department are on the cards with former national side captain Heath Streak set to take over as head coach soon.
IndependentSport can exclusively reveal that Streak, who only last week was unveiled as the Zimbabwe team bowling coach, will eventually replace incumbent Walter Chawaguta, whose contract expires in due course.

Chawaguta will revert back to being assistant coach.

This paper had it on good authority following the 4-1 series defeat to Bangladesh that a new coach with either significant playing or coaching experience will take over the reigns.

“Walter is definitely going be replaced,” said a highly placed source. “We are looking at someone who can ably guide this team based on their previous playing or coaching roles at a higher enough level.”

Then several names were brought up, including that of former captain and later coach Dave Houghton, who quit as English country Derbyshire’s director of coaching in 2007.

But it has since emerged that Houghton will indeed return to Zimbabwe, but in his original role as director of national coaching, as also reported in this paper in March.

Meanwhile, new chairman of selectors Alistair Campbell will in the interim also double as the national side batting coach.

The strengthening of the technical team, has been long overdue since the acrimonious departure of West Indian coach Phil Simmons in 2005.
Enock Muchinjo

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Streak to Take Over as Zim Head Coach

Post by Boundary »

I'm having a sneaky feeling this forum might be influencial in the "new" corridors of power inside ZC :D

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Streak, who only last week was unveiled as the Zimbabwe team bowling coach, will eventually replace incumbent Walter Chawaguta, whose contract expires in due course.
But it has since emerged that Houghton will indeed return to Zimbabwe, but in his original role as director of national coaching, as also reported in this paper in March.

Meanwhile, new chairman of selectors Alistair Campbell will in the interim also double as the national side batting coach.
Absolutely sensational news! Go Zim!

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Is there anything Campbell can't do!? Chief Selector, Head of Cricket Committee, Batting Coach... what next? :)

I actually would have put Campbell ahead of Streak for Head Coach, myself - but I think that would be pushing it as far as multiple roles go...

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

That's an excellent news for Zimbabwean cricket prospective. Heath Streak replacing Walter Chwaguta as the head coach is a much needed change and boost in the coaching era. An ideal coach can definitely change the whole outlook of the team; set the tactics, gameplan; give inspirations, moral supports, assistants and guidelines. I hope Heath Streak will be able to perform these works very well. This is good move by ZC.

Another good move is appoint Alistair Campbell as the batting coach. The batting will be surely more sound with the help of Campbell.

But all in all in one world, EXCELLENT MOVE

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Man... things couldnt look any better for ZIm Cricket or could they? I think from a technical point of view things are pretty much falling into place with the Streak, Campbell, Houghton all coming into the setup in different capacities. My only hope is than this will all spill through to the playing field and Zimbabwe regains their rightfull place in the cricketing world. Perhaps this time something better than the traditional 9th place.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Zimbabwe is definitely doing the tactical exercise right. There is also Andy Waller in the setup who was appointed as the ZC coaching manager. Add the Zimbabwean Cricket Committee involving Alistair Campbell the head, Dirk Viljoen, John Rennie, David Mutendera etc.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Link: http://www.voanews.com/english/Africa/Z ... -voa50.cfm

Zimbabwe Cricket Extends Another Olive Branch To Former Rebel Streak
By Marvellous Mhlanga-Nyahuye
Washington
25 August 2009

Zimbabwe cricket fans and analysts have hailed the naming of former team captain Heath Streak as bowling coach calling it a good step toward restoring the team's luster.

Zimbabwe Cricket Chief Executive Ozias Bvute told reporter Marvellous Mhlanga-Nyahuye of VOA's Studio 7 for Zimbabwe that his board welcomes all former players who can help the organization develop the relatively young side in a rebuilding phase.

Streak also will be seconded to franchise squads to help them in their first full season.

Streak, considered one of Zimbabwe's finest bowlers ever, was a leading figure among the so-called rebels who resigned from the team over political and management issues.
There is also an interview of Ozias Bvute which you can listen or download if you go through the link although I'm not so sure that it's posted or not.