New domestic season format

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

New domestic season format

Post by zimfan1 »

The new format is an intreging one with the logan cup being expanded to five teams and each team will play each other three times with a five day final at the end.

What confuses me is that in the faithware there are semi finals, so each team plays eight matches before the semi finals, what is the point of that? playing eight games just to get rid of one team?

What is wrong with the top team in both the Logan Cup and the Faithware being declared the winner? i belive it just devalues the earlier rounds as in reality there will only be two games that really count at the end of the season (the final and semi final).

I understand ZC are trying to create as many games as possible to show the ICC that there is a good domestic game in Zimbabwe, but i think that teams will take there foot of the gas if they are not in danger of beeing the one side to miss out which may result in below par performances.

Thoughts anyone?

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: New domestic season format

Post by eugene »

I agree that the format for the Faithwear Cup seems a bit pointless. It reminds a bit of the Tri Series in Australia where 3 teams would trek around the country for three weeks and then only eliminate one team.

Playing each team 3 times in the Logan Cup also seems a bit excessive. I think it would be smarter to start the competitions on a smaller scale and then expand them once the playing standard is assured.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

What is wrong with the top team in both the Logan Cup and the Faithware being declared the winner? i belive it just devalues the earlier rounds as in reality there will only be two games that really count at the end of the season (the final and semi final
I couldnt agree more. There shld be a difference between a round robin series and a knock out competition. Yes, we do understand that we need to play as many games as possible but I think whats important is making every game count up to the team which wins the competition.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, too many matches. But, another thing to consider is what will happen when Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe XI (Intercontinental squad) are on national duty? Would we still be able to fill up the franchise squads? Provided they can, the least affected squad stands to gain a lot in that scenario.