Logan Cup roars to life

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Logan Cup roars to life

Post by Detective RDS »

Link: http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/20090911 ... -life.html

Logan Cup roars to life
Written by GRACE CHIRUMANZU
Friday, 11 September 2009 08:58

HARARE -- The country’s premier domestic cricket competition, the Logan Cup, roars to life tomorrow with matches at Harare and Kwekwe sports clubs. The competition is running under the new franchise system for the first time. (Pictured: Prosper Utseya bowling) Five provincial teams will battle-it-out for honors in a round robin format with dozens of games to be played before the finals that take place next February. The five teams are Mountaineers, Midwest Rhinos, Mashonaland Eagles, Matabeleland Tuskers and Southern Rocks. Zimbabwe ‘A’ side coach Stephen Mangongo will take charge of the Mountaineers, previously known as Easterns, as they seek to defend their title.

Former national coach Robin Brown will be leading Tuskers, formerly Westerns. Walter Chawaguta, who is the current national team coach and former Zimbabwe international cricketer Malcom Jarvis will take charge of Eagles, who were previously known as Northerns. Andrew Waller and Emmanuel Dube will be coaching Midwest Rhinos and Mashonaland Rocks respectively. The 2009/2010 domestic cricket calendar released by ZC, last week, will see local cricketers busy on the crease for the next six months. After every four-day Logan Cup match to be played, starting tomorrow, the participating teams take a day’s rest before clashing for a limited overs series match.

The players have been inactive after competing in the last local showdown, the Twenty20 showdown, last May but Chawaguta said that should not affect the competition much because coaches have been working with their teams to ensure player fitness.
He said: “It is something (inactivity) that will certainly affect the start of the games, but I understand all the coaches have been doing their best in working with the boys. “The boys will be taking the competition seriously, taking into mind the World Cup next year and the tour of Bangladesh to come soon; I am sure they will want to try and score as much runs to make their presence felt by the selectors.”

Zimbabwe has limited international action as several cricket-playing nations have refused to tour the country citing security reasons. In the opening games Mountaineers face Mashonaland Eagles at Harare Sports Club as MidWest Rhinos hosts Tuskers at Kwekwe Sports Club. Southern Rocks has a bye. Mountaineers will be boasting the services of seasonal national team players such as Prosper Utseya, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri and Tatenda Taibu. Eagles hopes the presence of experienced Raymond Price and Elton Chigumbura will help motivate their talented but inexperienced players such as Cephas Zhuwawo, Foster Mutizwa and Regis Chakabva.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup roars to life

Post by Train Driver »

Out of interest, does anyone know what the points scoring system is for Logan Cup matches ?

Points for 1st innings lead ? how many for a draw ? how many for a win ?

I expect i'm just being lazy by not looking but there just must be a Logan expert out there ;)

Detective RDS

Re: Logan Cup roars to life

Post by Detective RDS »

Train Driver wrote:Out of interest, does anyone know what the points scoring system is for Logan Cup matches ?

Points for 1st innings lead ? how many for a draw ? how many for a win ?

I expect i'm just being lazy by not looking but there just must be a Logan expert out there ;)
To get some information in this regard visit here

If you need more, then pass to any Logan Cup EXPERT ;)