Match Fitness!!!!!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Match Fitness!!!!!

Post by tawac »

So the Proteas lost their opening Champions trophy game with people in some circles putting it down to match fitness. Just how much does match fitness play a part? Its some what ironic isnt it. How Zimbabwe hasnt been playing much, if any cricket at all, but by some miracle they are expected to improve. If a two months break can have such an impact on a Proteas side that was pretty much on top in all forms of cricket than what of a lowly placed Zimabwe side trying to find their footing in international cricket. Tours are very few and far inbetween. Just how do the powers that be expect this to happen.

Just when we think Zimbabwe is on the up then suddenly games dry up, tours are withdrawn. Zimbabwe really needs to be out there playing with the best... well perhaps not the best per se but we need to be playing cricket. Its high time the guys at ZC figured this out and tried to be proactive about the whole thing. In shona they have a saying "Sadza hari uye kune varere." (Food doesnot come to those who sleep). Its great there is the ICC furute tours but most of those tours just havent been happening for us. ZC need to check where we can fit in. Just imagine the ICC Championship trophy just kicked off. It would have been great to organise one or two warm up matches. I would take it that, that is what they where trying to do with West Indies. I wonder why they never showed. We can take advantage of our trip next month to the sub continent and try to sweeze in some games with Sri Lanka. I understand they have no games for a while as said elsewhere in this forum.

I think if we continue to play on a regular basis it can only work in our favor. And with some luck we may as well bring back the memories of yesteryear.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Kopje

Re: Match Fitness!!!!!

Post by Kopje »

True, we need to be out there playing some cricket. Instead of cancelling tours, the countries refusing to tour Zim should arrange neutral venues, we want year round cricket.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Kopje wrote:True, we need to be out there playing some cricket. Instead of cancelling tours, the countries refusing to tour Zim should arrange neutral venues, we want year round cricket.
Thing is, ZC were offered neutral venues on several occasions, but under the old way of doing things refused to accept - sides could either come to Zim or cancel.

Whether the 'new', friendlier ZC would be more open to compromise on such things remains to be seen. First test of that may be the scheduled tour by New Zealand next year.

Robin

Post by Robin »

What's the latest on the tour to the West Indies and India's tour to Zimbabwe (May 2010)?

http://static.cricinfo.com/db/DOWNLOAD/ ... 6_2012.pdf

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Robin wrote:What's the latest on the tour to the West Indies and India's tour to Zimbabwe (May 2010)?
Given that ZC don't tend to confirm tours until a month or two before they happen, it'll be a while before there's any confirmed news of either. For what it's worth, though, I suspect that:
- The West Indies tour will happen - we have to go there anyway for the World T20 next year, it'll be a good warm-up series for both us and the Windies.
- I would bet on the India tour not happening unless there's a third side brought in to make it a tri-series - otherwise India will cry off for financial reasons. They already owe us one FTP-mandated tour (here), what's another one between friends... :evil:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Someone must tell BCCI that there are sure signs of hidden treasure all over Zimbabwe. Then they will send the Indian teams to Zim 5 times a year. :evil: