Australia XI for first Test v BD

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Australia XI for first Test v BD

Post by jaybro »

AngusBeef wrote:CA have announced the squad:

Steven Smith (capt) Adam Voges (vice-capt), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O'Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

Not sure why Maxwell is in the test squad, we're falling for the same old tricks picking guys for test cricket due to ODI form .....

Although Australia is suffering a similar issue to Zimbabwe with no young batsman standing up and scoring big in shield cricket, we relied on Clarke for so long now he's gone we're in a bit of a hole .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

AngusBeef

Post by AngusBeef »

My XI given that squad:

Burns
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
M. Marsh
Neville
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Lyon

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

AngusBeef wrote:My XI given that squad:

Burns
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
M. Marsh
Neville
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Agar isn't in the squad .....

I'd go with

Burns
Khawaja
Smith
S Marsh
Voges
M Marsh
Nevill
O'Keefe
Starc
Siddle
Lyon

Smith is our No.3 so don't change it just for one series .....

Flat decks in BD will require a lot of bowling, I don't think Starc or Cummins have a lot in them so to have both would be a big risk .....

AngusBeef

Post by AngusBeef »

How did I miss that :shock:

In regards to Smith at 3: I think they will be using this tour to see where he is best suited before they play New Zealand & the West Indies.

On a side note, there player management regime seems bizarre; why is Hazelwood being rested instead of Starc who played in one extra test, the T20 and 5 of 6 ODI matches?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

AngusBeef wrote:How did I miss that :shock:

In regards to Smith at 3: I think they will be using this tour to see where he is best suited before they play New Zealand & the West Indies.

On a side note, there player management regime seems bizarre; why is Hazelwood being rested instead of Starc who played in one extra test, the T20 and 5 of 6 ODI matches?

If they want to move Smith to 4 I have no problem but he must stay at 4 and who ever is 3 stay there, first drop is a very important position and consistency is vital .....

AngusBeef

Post by AngusBeef »

Cummins ruled out now too, Faulkner in comes into the squad to replace him.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Should change this thread to Australia XI 1st test v NZ ......

First day of the only Shefield Shield round before the 1st test and none of the contenders really stood up .....

Openers - Bancroft -10 Cowan - 33 Burns - 25. The only openers to do well were Warner with 77 and young Scott Henry unbeaten on 140 .....

Middle order - Shaun Marsh - 15 Khawaja - 21 Maddinson - 17 Mitch Marsh - 1 Voges - 71 was the only positive .....

So with Warner and Smith the only certainties the other 4 spots are still up for grabs personally I'd go with

Cowan
Warner
Smith
Burns
S Marsh
M Marsh
Nevill

I highly doubt the selectors are keen on Cowan but I think experience at the top is key leave young Bancroft for another season in Shield cricket ......

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Johnson has announced his immediate retirement. Jay, I told you a few months ago that MJ was over the hill and you said he still had enough gas left for a couple more years. I think I'm leading you something like 8 to 2 in terms of recent cricketing predictions between us, eh? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Hahah well you're right but you're not lol yes he has retired but I doubt he is over the hill and I still reckon he had some left in the tank. I reckon he is leaving while still on top of his game ......

You got me on the BD WC and maybe the Zim tour of BD but I can't remember anymore ......

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:Hahah well you're right but you're not lol yes he has retired but I doubt he is over the hill and I still reckon he had some left in the tank. I reckon he is leaving while still on top of his game ......

You got me on the BD WC and maybe the Zim tour of BD but I can't remember anymore ......
BD World Cup, last years Zim tour of bd, bd spinners running out, general state of bd pace attack, SL being a moderate contender at World Cup, Johnson's status. I had you on 6 items.

You got bd's being a top 6 pace attack at the World Cup. And maybe 1 more thing I can't think of now which is why i said 2 things.

Oh I had a 7th. Sean Williams being a decisive factor in the 2014 BD tour.

So it's like 6 and a half to 2. Unless you can think of something I missed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)