South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Detective RDS

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Detective RDS »

eugene wrote:Except that the current quotas have been set to reflect the number of current players of colour that would make the team on merit anyway.
Agree.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:Except that the current quotas have been set to reflect the number of current players of colour that would make the team on merit anyway.
Is this Eugene or watermelon?

If a quota is explained by how the quota setters think it should be set based on what they think is worthy anyway of selection, then the quota shouldnt matter at all and is redundant and it should just be selected normally.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:If a quota is explained by how the quota setters think it should be set based on what they think is worthy anyway of selection, then the quota shouldnt matter at all and is redundant and it should just be selected normally.
- SA govt decides national sporting bodies must set quotas, for racial integration
- CSA looks at the current makeup of their best side, and sets a quota (because they have to) that conveniently lets them pick that side without making any compromises.
- win-win!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I'm concerned about the longevity of Rabada due to this quota rule, the selectors will be pressured to play him every game as he's the best black player and apart from Bavuma there doesn't seem to be many black batsman up to scratch so the need to play a black bowler at all times is there. We all know Pace bowlers need a spell every now and then so I'd hate to see him over used and break down ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

maehara wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:If a quota is explained by how the quota setters think it should be set based on what they think is worthy anyway of selection, then the quota shouldnt matter at all and is redundant and it should just be selected normally.
- SA govt decides national sporting bodies must set quotas, for racial integration
- CSA looks at the current makeup of their best side, and sets a quota (because they have to) that conveniently lets them pick that side without making any compromises.
- win-win!
BRM That logic has more holes than a block of swiss cheese.

If CSA are simply looking at their realistic and likely selections, why wouldnt you undercut it for safety and buffer?

When I go out to the pub, I dont bring just 15 dollars even though I may intend to only have 2 drinks. Other variables may come into play where I need money. Entry fee etc.

For instance,
Hashim Amla looks out of form and half disinterested. He is 33 and could literally start thinking about retiring at any minute, sometimes when form wanes, so does the interest. One down.
Bavuma looks out of form as well, are we just going to pick him for the sake of it?
JP is also wildly inconsistent and could lose the plot at any minute.

Vernon and Rabada are fast bowlers and as Jaybro said, will be pressured to be picked as much as possible, what if one or two are injured,as fast bowlers with big workloads often are, wheres the depth?

If two of the above broke down, they are screwed because they decided to give themselves no leeway at all.

Also remember the sub qouta of having 2 dark chocolates, not just milk chocolates.

Why not just have 2/3 as the minimum then go above and beyond as they see fit?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

A bit of a far fetched thought here but could South Africa's quota rule see pattern of black players from Zimbabwe try and qualify for South Africa and white South Africans head the other way ??

I know there are plenty of black players already in South Africa but I'm thinking South a African scouts could possibly try and pinch the best young black players from Zim at a young age and offer them scholarships so to have them qualified by the time they're ready for franchise and international cricket ? The school system is better in South Aftica and the chance to want a better education and then possibly a better international career and pay packet could entice some kids to give it a try ??

Also white South Africans now know there is only really 5 spots for them in the national side so bowlers especially know they're behind Steyn, Morkel, Abbot, DeLange etc so they might think this is their only chance at international cricket ??

Thoughts ??

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:A bit of a far fetched thought here but could South Africa's quota rule see pattern of black players from Zimbabwe try and qualify for South Africa and white South Africans head the other way ??

I know there are plenty of black players already in South Africa but I'm thinking South a African scouts could possibly try and pinch the best young black players from Zim at a young age and offer them scholarships so to have them qualified by the time they're ready for franchise and international cricket ? The school system is better in South Aftica and the chance to want a better education and then possibly a better international career and pay packet could entice some kids to give it a try ??

Also white South Africans now know there is only really 5 spots for them in the national side so bowlers especially know they're behind Steyn, Morkel, Abbot, DeLange etc so they might think this is their only chance at international cricket ??

Thoughts ??
Thats been hypothesised on this forum before, I dont see why not to be honest.

SA dont seem to be in the poaching habit though, but once someone opens that floodgates, who knows.

Also, not sure if SA schools are better than Zims? Mugabe, like Castro, is one dictator that is all about the education.

As a whole, Zimbabwean blacks are wayyyyy smarter than South African blacks. Thats one reason why SA blacks get angry when Zimbos skip the border, they jump the job queue.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Thats been hypothesised on this forum before, I dont see why not to be honest.

SA dont seem to be in the poaching habit though, but once someone opens that floodgates, who knows.
I think if they identified a Zimbo on scholarship in SA with the potential to be a world class player for the Proteas they wouldn't hesitate (much like the Springboks). If Matigimu was as good as Rabada he would he playing for the Proteas as soon as he's qualified.

As for the other way round, that's just not happening with the state of cricket in Zim.

wtachetna

Post by wtachetna »

I keep a distance from racial comments and people who are involved in racism. I wonder why racial quotas are being made when people should know that it could promote racism in the world. Just my thought! :roll:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

So I haven't really been following RSA cricket lately but did wat h them trounce the Aussies. So my questions is who's place does AB DeVilliers take ?

With Bavuma pretty much assured a spot as a black quota player and Duminy and Amla the coulered guys it leaves Cook, Elgar, Faf or DeKock .....

Now Cook and Elgar open so I can't see AB opening again in tests which leaves either Faf or DeKock !!! Who would you drop out of them two ??

Unless they drop Cook for a black or coloured opener or make Bavuma open ??

Very interesting indeed ......