South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by jaybro »

Abbot and Rossouw both confirm they have signed kolpack deals ......

Sad times for South Africa but I guess this is what they wanted .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Racial Qoutas in move as Abbot & Rossow signs Kolpak Deal

Post by The Robot »

In April 2016, South Africa's Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula announced in A Cricket South Africa (CSA) put in place racial quotas for the national team – average minimum of six black players of which two must be black African, across all three formats of the game in an effort to increase the number of black players in a sport still dominated by whites. The transformation policies – simply called the quota system- are aimed at righting the wrongs of the apartheid era and for nation building purposes, but it has run into a lot of criticism and its impact is now straight way fell on Cricket as South African talented fast bowler Kyle Abbot and classic middle order batsman Rilee Rossouw shocked everyone as they announced early retirement from international cricket and signed Kolpak deal with English County Hamshire to prolong their Cricket Career
Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw may have played their last for South Africa. Both players have signed a Kolpak deal with English county side, Hampshire. While Abbott's contract with CSA has already been terminated, the board is in the process of doing the same with Rossouw.
"I don't agree with it but I respect it," South Africa captain Faf du Plessis after the second Test against Sri Lanka in Cape Town. Abbott, who was one of the most promising fast bowlers for South Africa in recent times. He has called it quits after playing just 11 Tests for South Africa, picking 39 wickets at an average of 22.72. He also played 28 ODIs and 21 T20Is for South Africa.
"Making the decision to commit my long term future to Hampshire was undoubtedly the most difficult one I have ever had to make and I leave with more than a little sadness knowing that I won't represent the Proteas again. Representing my country was undoubtedly the biggest honour in my career and I am very thankful for the opportunity to have represented South Africa and the Proteas," said Abbott in a statement released by Cricket South Africa.
"I can confirm that I have agreed and signed a 3 year deal with Hampshire Cricket. Deciding to leave South Africa is something I have thought long and hard about and moving to England will give me and my family the long term career security that I believe is important at this stage of my life. I have loved representing the Proteas and will watch from afar with great affection every time they take the field from now on but I am hugely dedicated to making Hampshire cricket successful on the field," said Rossouw in a similar statement.
Rossouw, who top-scored for South Africa with 311 runs at 78 in the recently-concluded five-match ODI series against Australia, made his international debut in 2014 and has represented the African nation in 36 ODIs and 15 T20Is.
The development came as a shock for CSA, who will now be bracing themselves for more such similar exitsIn April 2016, South Africa's Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula announced in A Cricket South Africa (CSA) put in place racial quotas for the national team – average minimum of six black players of which two must be black African, across all three formats of the game in an effort to increase the number of black players in a sport still dominated by whites. The transformation policies – simply called the quota system- are aimed at righting the wrongs of the apartheid era and for nation building purposes, but it has run into a lot of criticism and its impact is now straight way fell on Cricket as South African talented fast bowler Kyle Abbot and classic middle order batdman Rilee Rossouw shocked everyone as they announced early retirement from international cricket and signed Kolpak deal with English County Hamshire to prolong their Cricket Career
Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw may have played their last for South Africa. Both players have signed a Kolpak deal with English county side, Hampshire. While Abbott's contract with CSA has already been terminated, the board is in the process of doing the same with Rossouw.
Robo to rule :oops:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

All the more reason to support Ireland and Afghanistan's inclusion as CSA joins the ZC and the WICB as full member jokesters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

jaybro wrote:Abbot and Rossouw both confirm they have signed kolpack deals ......

Sad times for South Africa but I guess this is what they wanted .....

Abbot took 9 wickets in his first test then waited a year for another call up, then was dropped from that semi for an unfit Philanderer. My guess is The Hash hasn't got long to go and Steyn may struggle to come back from shoulder surgery and Morkel may have limited time as well. I wouldn't bet on AB staying too long either, unless they double what he's getting. The jury is not in for me yet on Cook either. I like the fact that he's been picked on merit though.
They're going to face a real crisis in the not too distant future, but they have so many good cricketers there that the effects of their policies won't be seen at the top level for a while.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Firstly, who gives a shit if Crickets a white sport. Mahjong is a chinese past time in sydney, no ones ever thought of enforcing qouta systems in their games. As long as niggas arent shown the door when they are signing up to play, who gives a fuck? no problem?

Secondly,
If you really want transformation, just target schools and areas that are black, give them opportunities to develop into top players and let them rise up semi-organically.

Its quite pathetic being elevated to honours when you dont deserve it on merit. If you want to be the retarded kid in the class then I feel sorry for you.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Over the course of what amounted to a 15-minute exit interview with the media, Kyle Abbott seemed to take on a number of different personas. After reading a brief statement confirming that he was off to Hampshire on a Kolpak, the sadness of leaving the Proteas briefly overcame him. But a few minutes later he was answering a question about his decision by enquiring whether the journalist would like to pay for his groceries for the next 10 years. When the same journalist later asked whether his Hampshire contract precluded any involvement in the IPL, Abbott's tone took on that of the self-congratulatory lawyer. "Oh I've got all my bases covered," he said.
The range of emotions reflected what Abbott must have been through over the past year as he wrestled with the dilemma of giving up his dream job in return for financial security. "There have been a few evenings where I have gone to sleep wondering if I made the right decision," he said, "but I've always woken up the next morning knowing I have. I don't want to regret sitting here in 12 months' time where everyone is fit again and I am wearing a bib and I am 30."
It turns out that he has not been alone in South African circles. Stiaan van Zyl, Simon Harmer and Hardus Viljoen had already signed Kolpak deals and now so has Rilee Rossouw. Other names have been mentioned. The South African dressing room is beginning to resemble England's on the tour of India in 1981/82, when their players were all privately grappling with the prospect of touring apartheid South Africa.
The moral dilemma is rather less spiky now, but the ripples it is creating are just as disruptive. "I don't know if trust has been broken," said coach Russell Domingo. "But there are obviously issues that players haven't been sincere about, because I've been picking guys and they've known that they're done, which sets me back and our team back massively. Kyle was going to open the bowling for us in the Champions Trophy. Now who takes the new ball, 10 ODIs before the Champions Trophy?"
It is not only team planning that these departures are hurting. South Africa's selectors have been left to second-guess themselves because the Kolpak loophole exploited by all five players so far requires a Test cap. "If Kagiso Rabada breaks a finger tomorrow and I ask Duanne Olivier to come and play a Test match, but bear in mind that Kagiso is coming back straight afterwards because he's one of the best bowlers in the world, Duanne might say, 'Well stuff that, when am I going to play again? I'm going to go and sign a Kolpak.' Those are the type of challenges we're sitting with," Domingo noted.
Domingo reserved a particular ire for Rossouw, a player he has personally mentored at national level, picking him in preparation for the 2015 World Cup before standing by him through some lean patches. "He's a guy we backed after five noughts," he said. "If that was a player of colour getting five noughts everyone would have said he was a player of transformation." Domingo had not heard from Rossouw since leaving Australia almost six weeks ago until whispers surfaced that the 27-year-old might be talking to English counties. "To be honest, some of us tried to get hold of him - and this is the truth - and we got an email off his iPhone yesterday telling us he signed a Kolpak."
Russell Domingo said he would like to see CSA tying some of the younger players to longer contracts, citing Kagiso Rabada and Quinton de Kock as examples
Russell Domingo said he would like to see CSA tying some of the younger players to longer contracts, citing Kagiso Rabada and Quinton de Kock as examples
South Africa have prided themselves on a strong squad culture over the past few years, something they thought they had renewed during a 'culture camp' midway through the year. Suddenly it all looks a little fragile, even after beating Australia in seven straight matches as well as making Sri Lanka look horribly second-rate.
On an administrative level, CSA have been caught unawares and are equally disappointed by losing a player like Rossouw. "We invest huge sums of money in every individual, and if you take Rilee by way of example, I don't know how many months we have been treating his injuries and investing in him," said chief executive Haroon Lorgat. "Sadly there's no return for us in the years to come. Instead of crying over that spilt milk we will invest in young South Africans who avail themselves to play for the Proteas."
To that end, the CSA cricket committee decided in a meeting on Thursday (January 5) to place a cap on Kolpak players in South African domestic cricket. Unlike in England, where the counties are able to resist such moves, CSA call all the shots in their leagues and the cap will likely be ratified at the next CSA board meeting. Other suggestions may come out of the domestic review that is in its final stages, such as an increase in the number of franchises. South Africa only have six, which means that just 30 white players can take the field on any given weekend because of the quotas in place.
Abbott insisted that quotas had nothing to do with his decision. "Ever since I played professional cricket in South Africa, there has always been a quota system. Even from young ages," he said. "I have never used it as an excuse and I won't use it as an excuse now." But it must be playing on some cricketers' minds.
Domingo said he would like to see CSA tying some of the younger players to longer contracts, citing Kagiso Rabada and Quinton de Kock as examples. Currently the top players are given two-year central contracts while everyone else only gets one year. Lorgat hopes that the relaunch of the domestic Twenty20 league will make it more lucrative for those players who stay in South Africa.
Of course, Kolpak won't go on forever - Britain are expected to leave the European Union in the next few months. But that won't prevent players with British passports from continuing to abandon South Africa, with young white players particularly likely to take that route.
"It's important that we, as the Proteas and as Cricket South Africa, look at how we can learn from this and make sure that this isn't something that, two years from now, has meant we've lost 10 or 15 players and we say, 'Oopsie'," said Faf du Plessis. "There's too much talent in South Africa to lose guys like that."

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/8529 ... an-cricket

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Can't believe Domingo and Lorgat are blaming the players and saying they've wasted money on them !!!!!

There is only room for 30 white players in South Africa's domestic setup and 5 in the national side what do they expect ??

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well I wonder what Abbott's deal is with Hampshire regarding availability for IPL, Big Bash etc.
The fact is that if you're not playing internationally you have much less chance of being selected for one of the lucrative T20 tournaments. Personally I think he's blundered. Steyn is one the wane and Abbott has really put his hand up. Without knowing what his central contract is it's hard to have a strong opinion.
Rousseau, on the other hand, is less likely to be a regular particularly when AB comes back into the mix. It sounds like he was embarrassed about his decision and didn't handle the situation too well, which speaks volumes. Although they feel they are doing what's in their best interests I think you will see CSA adopting a more hardline approach and their move has probably accelerated the quota system.
ECB are also going to become progressively more hardline in their attitude towards overseas players because of their investment in youth cricket. The whole thing is very discomforting and opinions are polarized. There are increasing numbers of top juniors coming through their ranks and many have expectations of playing county, but the reality is that there are only one or two signings per year at each county of their younger players. The bottleneck is growing and there are some very disillusioned English youngsters.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Detective RDS wrote:
This will definitely mark the end of SOU where selection will be based on skin color rather than merit. This will give a free passage to Duminy, Parnell. Steyn & Morkel will quit ODIs very soon. This will drive retirements, county stint & freelancer job for whites Viljoen, Pretorious, Paterson, De Lange, Wiese, Abbott etc.
As I predicted, Viljoen, Wiese and Abbott went the Kolpak way. De Lange may be offered also, just hope he doesn't sign.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

De Villiers basica,ly retiring from Tests now to focus on 2019 WC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)