South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
User avatar
Detective RDS
Posts: 1527
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Detective RDS » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:10 pm

jaybro wrote:So I haven't really been following RSA cricket lately but did wat h them trounce the Aussies. So my questions is who's place does AB DeVilliers take ?

With Bavuma pretty much assured a spot as a black quota player and Duminy and Amla the coulered guys it leaves Cook, Elgar, Faf or DeKock .....

Now Cook and Elgar open so I can't see AB opening again in tests which leaves either Faf or DeKock !!! Who would you drop out of them two ??

Unless they drop Cook for a black or coloured opener or make Bavuma open ??

Very interesting indeed ......
I believe AB will replace either Elgar or Cook, whoever is less performed than the other. I will get Bavuma to open or Du Plessis and AB will slot back at 4.
Detective RDS

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 4714
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by jaybro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:49 pm

It's all bullshit IMO pick the best if you want to win, this will come back to bite them in the arse the flood of white cricketers leaving has already started. The money to play for RSA isn't even that crash hot AB has already talked about retiring early to cash in on t20 comps to make up for the average money he's been on playing for RSA so tell me if you're a white cricketer right now in RSA you look at the way things stand, there's only 5 positions in the national side at any time and you have Faf, AB, Steyn, Morkel, Abbot etc in front of you what are the chances you will ever get a shot ? And if you do you'll get paid a quarter of what the Aussies or English are being paid don't even worry about the Indians ......

Unless there is a long list of Rabada's and Bavuma's in the system RSA are on a road to disaster .....
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

User avatar
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator
Posts: 6096
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:22 pm
Contact:

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by brmtaylor.com admin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Detective RDS wrote:
jaybro wrote:So I haven't really been following RSA cricket lately but did wat h them trounce the Aussies. So my questions is who's place does AB DeVilliers take ?

With Bavuma pretty much assured a spot as a black quota player and Duminy and Amla the coulered guys it leaves Cook, Elgar, Faf or DeKock .....

Now Cook and Elgar open so I can't see AB opening again in tests which leaves either Faf or DeKock !!! Who would you drop out of them two ??

Unless they drop Cook for a black or coloured opener or make Bavuma open ??

Very interesting indeed ......
I believe AB will replace either Elgar or Cook, whoever is less performed than the other. I will get Bavuma to open or Du Plessis and AB will slot back at 4.
de Villiers could open... to be honest though, I don't think South Africa's dilemma here is quota related. Their top seven is really strong... black, white or coloured no matter who makes way for ABD, it'll see a very good and in-form player being dropped.

User avatar
Detective RDS
Posts: 1527
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Detective RDS » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:02 pm

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Detective RDS wrote:
jaybro wrote:So I haven't really been following RSA cricket lately but did wat h them trounce the Aussies. So my questions is who's place does AB DeVilliers take ?

With Bavuma pretty much assured a spot as a black quota player and Duminy and Amla the coulered guys it leaves Cook, Elgar, Faf or DeKock .....

Now Cook and Elgar open so I can't see AB opening again in tests which leaves either Faf or DeKock !!! Who would you drop out of them two ??

Unless they drop Cook for a black or coloured opener or make Bavuma open ??

Very interesting indeed ......
I believe AB will replace either Elgar or Cook, whoever is less performed than the other. I will get Bavuma to open or Du Plessis and AB will slot back at 4.
de Villiers could open... to be honest though, I don't think South Africa's dilemma here is quota related. Their top seven is really strong... black, white or coloured no matter who makes way for ABD, it'll see a very good and in-form player being dropped.
Well, after scoring so many runs for so many years in the middle order, I don't think it will be wise to get De Villiers to open. I will open with Bavuma as he has already opened in tests in India & in ODI. Du Plessis is another opening option more than De Villiers.
Detective RDS

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 4714
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by jaybro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 am

Cook now in the runs as well, things getting harder for selectors now ...:.

People may think the quotas are helping the blacks but is making Bavuma open the batting really helping him out?

Bavuma might be a solid middle order player of the future but he is the obvious choice to make way for AB when he returns. Amal, AB, JPD and Faf are all getting on so spots in the middle order will open up for Bavuma so I actually think it would be better for his career if he went back to franchise cricket and put more runs on the board and waits for his chance. Making the kid open just to make up the quota .....

This could ruin his career .....
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Googly
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Googly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:32 am

Cook may well be the most awkward looking opener ever. He looks like an absolute rabbit outside off, but clearly knows his game. Amla is also having some real technical problems, when his superb hands let him down (not often) then it's amplified by his profoundly unorthodox technique. That was a superb discussion on trigger movements- something that has always vexed me. You take your guard and then trigger into a position that is fractionally different each time? I like thinking of a trigger as a way of energizing yourself and don't see why it should be so big. The guys who step all the way back into their crease create unnecessary problems for themselves, as do the guys with the floating front foot.

It will be very interesting what they do with Bavuma and will send a message as to what their stance is on quota. I love watching him play, technically superb and a fantastic fielder. He doesn't have the best hands with the bat and has clearly made himself good through hard work, just lacks a bit of flair in a team loaded with match winners.

Googly
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Googly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:45 am

They've also got Rilee Roussouw and Miller, both of whom I would have in my test side every day of the week ahead of Bavuma and Behardien. Hard to match those two for flair and ability. People will argue that they are better to suited to the shorter format, which they are, but they're still better than B&B.

Googly
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Googly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:13 pm

They televised some of that Africa T20. That's where you see the real effects of their quota system. A bunch of those guys just don't belong at that level and have deprived some really good players (who've come from cricketing families and have played their whole lives) of the opportunity to go on and become professional cricketers. It's unacceptable racism, no other explanation is required, except from the ICC as to why they are condoning it, and from the other teams who continue to tour there. In apartheid days SA was boycotted by practically everybody, why is it ok to discriminate against the whites?

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 4714
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by jaybro » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:11 am

Kyle Abbot who is currently playing a test match for RSA is on the verge of quitting international cricket for a kolpack deal with Hampshire. Now even players who are currently in the side are leaving due to this quota rule !!!!

Article also states Rilee Rossouw is also close to signing a deal in England .....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 75163.html
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: South Africa sets ''racial'' quotas for national team

Post by Kriterion_BD » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:15 am

jaybro wrote:Kyle Abbot who is currently playing a test match for RSA is on the verge of quitting international cricket for a kolpack deal with Hampshire. Now even players who are currently in the side are leaving due to this quota rule !!!!

Article also states Rilee Rossouw is also close to signing a deal in England .....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 75163.html
If this happens, SA cricket will go the Zimbabwe way. There aren't enough Rabada's or Bavuma's to keep them in the top 4 of the Test rankings. They will slip to the WI level.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed; its against the oppressor. Time is on the side of the oppressed; its against the oppressor. You don't need anything else.
[Malcolm X]

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests