Australia tour of India

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Australia tour of India

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Just looked at the recently concluded tour match, http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-aus ... 82201.html and went to the career averages.

Saw:

S Nadeem 2004-2017

Figured, India A must have included a veteran to bolster the lineup or something.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-aus ... 31872.html
Full name Shahbaz Nadeem

Born August 12, 1989, Bokaro, Bihar

Current age 27 years 191 days
Debuted when he was 15, amazing.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Australia tour of India

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, he's been around for a while, and the debut was for Jharkhand vs Kerala. These were some of the weakest sides and they were playing in the tier 2 of the Ranji Trophy. But nonetheless, like all spinners, he has been getting better with age and has put in a couple of solid seasons to warrant A team selection.

But there are quite a few above him in the pecking order, like the Chinaman bowler Kuldeep Yadav, left arm spinner Parvez Rasool, and leggie Shreyas Gopal. May be even Yuzvendra Chahal, the chess grand master turned leggie. Of course all of them behind Ashwin, Jadeja, Mishra and Jayant Yadav, the incumbents.

The curious case of selecting and not bowling K Gowtham, the off spinner, is the most interesting point of the match for me. He came into the FC scene last season after 3 years in wilderness and wreaked havoc with a lot of wickets. But I don't think he deserved the A team selection just for that. Shreyas Gopal should have been there ahead of him. May be the observation that the Aussies are more vulnerable to offies was the logic, and then he was held back and not bowled at all. He was known to mimic Harbhajan Singh's action before, then changed it later on working with the legendary EAS Prasanna to come back and take all those bagful of wickets last season.

May be, it was Dravid's way of giving the Aussies a false sense of security by not bowling the offie, so that they have no / less answers when Ashwin is unleashed upon them? But I do think Aussies are much better prepared this time, and since Kumble's time at the helm, we have moved away from preparing dust bowls (remember the last Aus series and the last SA series) and are preparing more sporting wickets - i.e., Kumble does not want to have a say in pitch preparations - something Ravi Shastri relied upon for getting good looking results. So, the Aussies must feel they have better chance this time, but India's batting bench strength is better than it probably ever was in the last 20-30 years, with triple centurions warming the benches.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

This is going to be ugly .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Legendary collapse on from India here... :D

94-3 to 101-9 now.

As a Bangladeshi fan you gotta love when other top sides try to emulate us!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I in fact half expected this and was not as terrified as most Aussie supporters are about this series from the Aussie point of view, purely because theey have learnt their lessons at SL last year. They would be fools to repeat the same mistakes.

And Indian batting was not tested with good spin bowling from the opposition right through this home season, including by Bangladesh who could have done much better. I don't think we have great players of spin bowling in that line up, may be Saha is extremely good from his domestic exploits, Kohli is very good, but others including Pujara are yet to prove themselves to be very good against quality spin.

Rahul has been either single digit or big scores all through his international career in all formats (but regular big scores to keep his spot through those single digit scores) and I thought he would trigger a collapse right at the top, but strangely he was the only one who batted with any purpose by the looks of it. But he did indeed trigger the collapse eventually :)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Australia's last 3 tours to the sub continent have been dire, 4-0 to India 2-0 to Pakistan and 3-0 to Sri Lanka. This coupled with indias form at home painted a bleak picture but I have been pleasantly surprised on how well the Aussies bowled. Starc and Hazelwood bowl really good short sharp spells with great pace and we're handled well by Captain Smith. Whilst O'Keefe and Lyon seem to have learnt some lessons from previous tours and bowled very well .....

Still a long way to go but 300 ahead with 6 wickets to go I think a lead of 400-450 will be game set match .....

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

India certainly wont collapse for 100 all out again. But I reckon Smith could declare and still win handsomely. Would still be foolish with so much time left to bowl India out. Set them 400 or 450 and go for the jugular. Aussies will have all the momentum going into the 2nd Test.

This is uncharted territory for Kohli. Lets see how he responds.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:India certainly wont collapse for 100 all out again.

You were saying ?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Haha you'd figure after the Aussies racked up nearly 300 on that surface the Indians would get close to it. Glad to be proven wrong haha.