ICL progress

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

ICL progress

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Game 1, currently Ahmedabad Rockets 125/2

Murray Goodwin coming out to bat. I don't think many people will be too interested in this series, but I thought it would be worth posting this so we can at least track how Goodwin and Streaky are going :)

And just as I'm about to hit submit:
14.6 Mongia to Goodwin, OUT, run out! Driven to mid-on and takes off for a single, then stops and says no, Hinds was a long way down, TP Singh picks up the ball and throws it to Mongia, who runs out Hinds.
WW Hinds run out 59 (43b 3x4 5x6) SR: 137.20

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Tracking Zimbabweans in ICL

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I am creating this thread to inform, discuss and debate the performances of some Zimbabwean Internationals (read Heath Streak and Murray Goodwin) who are taking part in the Indian Cricket League.

Yesterday was the inaugural match and the team for which both Streak and Goodwin are playing, Ahmedabad Rockets, took on last years finalists Chandigarh Lions. Rockets batted first and scored 158/5. Goodwin getting out for 4, trying to up the runrate. Streak remained unbeaten on 15 with 3 hits to the fence.

Clinical bowling display by the Rockets, led by 2-25 in 4 overs by Streak meant that the Lions were restricted to 139/6 in 20 overs. The Rockets winning by 19 runs. Murray Goodwin was a livewire on the field, throwing himself around in spectacular fashion, and encouraging the youngsters in the team to thrive for the same. Wavell Hinds, former WI international, was man of the match for his match winning knock of 59.

CrimsonAvenger

Re: ICL progress

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yesterday was a forgettable day for Zimbabweans in ICL. Ahmedabad Rockets lost by 9 wickets to Delhi Giants. Both Goodwin and Streak could not reach double figures while batting and bowled 1.3 and 1 overs respectively. No luck with wickets either.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I am actually quite a fan of the ICL. Probably due to my strong dislike of the BCCI. The standard of cricket being played is fairly decent and some of the young Indian players are performing really well against international players. I can see how this tournament could actually benefit Indian cricket if it wasn't deemed a rebel tournament. I dont really see any benefits of the IPL except making money.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Another match, another bad day for Zimbabweans at ICL. Ahmedabad Rockets lost to Mumbai Champs this time around. Goodwin made 6 and Streaky got out for a golden duck. The Rockets managed to reach 131/9.

Streak came back and bowled well in tandem with Jason Gillespie to keep the match alive till the last over. Streak's figures read 3-0-14-0 and he was given the responsibility of bowling the last over, with the champs needing 10 runs to win. But two boundaries in first two balls, one glorious cover drive and one freakish nick, sealed the fate of the match.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote: The standard of cricket being played is fairly decent and some of the young Indian players are performing really well against international players.
That is true to some extent. Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, Raviraj Patil and Ali Murtaza have been top class. But generally, its the international stars who have done most of the work. Azhar Mahmood, Justin Kemp, Craig McMillan to name a few.

©hinaman

Post by ©hinaman »

eugene wrote:I am actually quite a fan of the ICL. Probably due to my strong dislike of the BCCI. The standard of cricket being played is fairly decent and some of the young Indian players are performing really well against international players. I can see how this tournament could actually benefit Indian cricket if it wasn't deemed a rebel tournament. I dont really see any benefits of the IPL except making money.
BCCI has changed the world of cricket. Some good, somebad. But I certainly am against their stance on ICL.

ICL has given the opportunity to many young Indian players to make cricket a career.
These players would have otherwise struggled at the state level, repeatedly ignored by national selectors, even for reasons unjustified. They can now carry on developing their game, have the opportunity to play with some of the world's best and make a living. IPL on the other hand helps makes millionaires out of millionaires and a lot of money for the owners.

I also like the ICL concept, because it does not differentiate between players from full member or associate nations. Its equal opportunity.

What is forgotten is ICL has promised to release any player that gets called up to play for their national team. Where as till ICC confirmed the veto rights of the national boards, it looked to be players opting out of test cricket.

I am for ICL. So far for me it seems a good thing.
I hope to see it go wider to become a subcontinent / asian league. That will be a big challenge for BCCI.
"If you don't help people who are in need, it's just not cricket" - Steve Waugh

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

ICL Zimbabwe connection has turned from bad to worse. The Rockets have lost 5 out of 6 games, and have lost their last 5 encounters after the inaugural win, including yesterday's match against Superstars. Heath Streak was luckless with the ball, while luck and Wavell Hinds ran Murray Goodwin out when they came out to bat. By the time Streak came out to bat, the match was virtuall over. Another sorry display, and the Rockets have hit the bottom of the points table. Hope they can redeem some pride by winning their last match...