[Series Thread] Australia in Bangladesh 2017

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: [Series Thread] Australia in Bangladesh 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Well well well...Imrul and Sabbir both combining for ducks when Mominul should have batted in either spot ahead of them. I wonder who could have predicted that? Oh well, here's to hoping Imrul bags a pair and Mominul comes in for the next Test. We are at least 3 changes away from having our best team on the park (Taskin, Mosaddek, and Momin).

Match is evenly poised now. Smith of course will determine the outcome as all great players do. but this wicket is already playing like a 5th day dustbowl!! Was a very exciting first day's play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Great first day and BD are giving themselves every possible chance of winning by batting first and getting the pitch they wanted.

I think they'll be a bit disappointed they didn't get past 300, but after how they started with the ball they'll feel like they're right in this.

As predicted Mehidy accounted for Warner early and although he was run out Khawaja looked all at sea against the spin.

Smith is obviously the key but I also feel Maxwell is a guy who can take the game away from BD.

Can't wait to see what the 2nd day brings.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

And you can't count out genuine pace. Cummins had the standout performance with figures of 3 for 5 from his first two overs (4 of those runs were an edge past the slip cordon). Granted, 2 of his victims had no business being in the XI, but Cummins is phenom. He got it up to 147 clicks yesterday in these muggy humid conditions and that pace and bounce will create chances even on the most unfriendly surface. Hazelwood wasn't too successful on similar surfaces in SL last year, but he of course is a quality quick who can at least keep his end quiet.

Lyon bowled well enough to justify the figures he got on a helpful surface.

At some point the Aussies are going to string together a big partnership or two. I reckon 250 is a par score on this pitch so yes 300 would have been a very good total for us if we could have gotten it. I honestly don't think this pitch will get any worse as the match progresses. Its already a minefield with variable bounce and vicious turn. It can't possibly get worse, so the Aussies probably don't have too much of a disadvantage batting last. But you never know.

It does look like the weather might hold up long enough to get a result inside 10 sessions. I don't know what would be better for the game...make a pitch that would take the game to the 15th session but then have a dull draw because of rain or create a pitch so the game finishes in a result despite the weather. I'd pick the latter.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

We are going to need a total of 300 at least to defend if we want to be favorites to win. Smith isn't going to fuck up with the bat again and Warner has to eventually come good. 300 on this wicket might be out of reach but still 160 ish runs away here.

Mushfiq has to make up for his first innings failure.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Cummins bowls a brute of a ball to get Tamim caught behind off the glove for 78. Good review by Smitty.

BD 135-4...Shakib joins Mushy.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

4 quick wickets from Australia puts Bangladesh in a precarious position. We have a defendable target already, but there's no guarantees with a sub 300 target. And we are 52 runs short of that with only 2 wickets in hand.

Miraz is going to have to bat sensibly, farm the strike, and remain not out. Shafiul should wait for the short balls from Agar who has bowled all over the place and look to hit with a horizontal bat. Only a few overs from the new ball which will turn and bounce a lot more. Even 275 is a long way off for us.

Going to be a hell of a game with all 4 results possible (a draw if there is rain).

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

My respect for Tamim Iqbal keeps growing every match. He has hit a sub-Andy Flower-2000-02-esque patch and that too being an opener, giving solid starts for BD. His success has been one of the most important factors in the BD's upsurge I think, as Shakib and Mushfiq were already as consistent as they are now even two to three years back.

He is already my man of the match no matter what the result is (Lyon and Shakib might feel peeved, but still...)

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 am
...that too being an opener...
:|

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

This game is still in the balance although Australia will feel a lot better at stumps on day 3 than they did in day 2.

Can't help but feel BD have let this slip they were in a very strong position but those 4 quick wickets hurt them.

Warner has played a great knock so far and it's no secret this is the crucial partnership regarding the outcome of this match.

Either way I've really enjoyed this test match a lower scoring game is always way more exciting.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

pariah wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 am
...that too being an opener...
:|
Context: when an opener succeeds, the team does well. "Context is important" as someone would say. He has opened all his life and has matured amazingly as a player.