[Series Thread] Australia in Bangladesh 2017

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Series Thread] Australia in Bangladesh 2017

Post by jaybro »

Sounds like a ripper match I didn't get a chance to watch any of it but was more surprised when I heard BD lost the first Test than when I heard they had won the second.

This Bangladesh side is going through a 'Golden Era' with Sakib, Tamin, Musfiq etc all at the peak of their powers. I still remember us having heated 'discussions' about BD prior to the WC in 15. I really didn't rate the side and actually though they had gone backwards in 2014 but they played 2 really good games in the WC against England and NZ and since then haven't looked back.

When they lost 2-1 in the ODI's to England people were actually surprised which has shown how far they have come. I'd really love to see them play India or Pakistan in Bangladesh to see how they would go against another big SC team. It's one thing to beat England and Australia at home when the conditions give them such a great advantage but if they could beat India or Pakistan that would be an even greater feat IMO.

Away form is also crucial but even India struggle in South Africa and Australia but I think this current bunch of players can possibly win a test away from the SC if they play regularly enough.

This should be Bangladesh's short term goals with this side

1- Win the test series against Australia ( test wins over SL & England were great but no test series win )

2- Win a home Test against Pakistan or India

3- Win a Test in either England, South Africa or Australia

Lofty goals but aiming for anything less is what they've already achieved.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:57 am
Sounds like a ripper match I didn't get a chance to watch any of it but was more surprised when I heard BD lost the first Test than when I heard they had won the second.

This Bangladesh side is going through a 'Golden Era' with Sakib, Tamin, Musfiq etc all at the peak of their powers. I still remember us having heated 'discussions' about BD prior to the WC in 15. I really didn't rate the side and actually though they had gone backwards in 2014 but they played 2 really good games in the WC against England and NZ and since then haven't looked back.

When they lost 2-1 in the ODI's to England people were actually surprised which has shown how far they have come. I'd really love to see them play India or Pakistan in Bangladesh to see how they would go against another big SC team. It's one thing to beat England and Australia at home when the conditions give them such a great advantage but if they could beat India or Pakistan that would be an even greater feat IMO.

Away form is also crucial but even India struggle in South Africa and Australia but I think this current bunch of players can possibly win a test away from the SC if they play regularly enough.

This should be Bangladesh's short term goals with this side

1- Win the test series against Australia ( test wins over SL & England were great but no test series win )

2- Win a home Test against Pakistan or India

3- Win a Test in either England, South Africa or Australia

Lofty goals but aiming for anything less is what they've already achieved.
Yes I agree totally.

To be frank, I would rate beating England and Australia as bigger achievements than beating Pakistan at home. The reason is, Pakistan are a notoriously inconsistent side. Just take the Champions Trophy as an example. No one - including myself- gave them a rat's ass chance of winning. They were the bottom ranked side entering the competition. Once they won - albeit by THRASHING the likes of SA, ENG, and IND - quite a few people have them pencilled in among the contenders for the 2019 WC. I'm not so sure. They are just one scandal or match-fixing investigation away from losing key players and it will be interesting to see how they go.

Asides from that, I think PAK will struggle quite a bit in Tests now that Misbah and Younis have retired. They had been bailing the team out the past few years just like Sanga and Mahela did with SL. Now I don't expect PAK to struggle as SL are now, but I wouldn't rate PAK too much higher than BD, if at all.

I don't think we have the firepower to beat India anywhere right now. We would need Taskin and Mustafiz to develop more.

I don't know when we are scheduled to tour England next, but when we do, I will probably make the trek across the pond to be there. We may find out how the new Test league will work in greater detail next month as I think the ICC has a meeting in October.

We are touring SA in about 4 weeks time. Going to be a massive series for us as we will be thoroughly tested.

We are scheduled to tour Australia exactly a year from now...which means we'll be playing in Darwin and Cairns. Still officially a tour "to" Australia and will be another tough one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah I see what you mean and Australia and England have so much history so it's a great achievement to beat them. But the conditions favoured BD so much I wasn't surprised BD won as I expected them to win, but if they could beat a 'big side' when the conditions suit both sides that would be another great achievement.

So far BD has won 4 Test against Zimbabwe when conditions suited BD not Zim

1 win over Zim in foreign conditions great achievement for BD

2 wins over West Indies in conditions which suited both

1 win over Sri Lanka in conditions which suited both

And the wins over England and Australia where they had favourable conditions.

I'm not trying to take anything away from BD I'm looking at where they should be setting their next targets

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The tour of South Africa will be a tough one for BD as although they have found some decent seamers these guys wouldn't have played on many hard and fast decks like they'll get in South Africa.

I think they'll learn some hard lessons but it will be good for their growth and put them in good stead for the Australia tour.

What a shame it's another 'Top end Test series' BD deserve to play at some of the famous Australian grounds. They've earned that right.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm
The tour of South Africa will be a tough one for BD as although they have found some decent seamers these guys wouldn't have played on many hard and fast decks like they'll get in South Africa.

I think they'll learn some hard lessons but it will be good for their growth and put them in good stead for the Australia tour.

What a shame it's another 'Top end Test series' BD deserve to play at some of the famous Australian grounds. They've earned that right.
Even the Lankans have played at Darwin and Cairns off season in the 2000s. But this FTP was written up back in 2014 I believe, and Bangladesh only started winning Test matches 10 months ago.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:38 pm
Yeah I see what you mean and Australia and England have so much history so it's a great achievement to beat them. But the conditions favoured BD so much I wasn't surprised BD won as I expected them to win, but if they could beat a 'big side' when the conditions suit both sides that would be another great achievement.
I agree. Shakib and Tamim stated before this series that winning against England and Australia is special given how seriously they take Test cricket.
So far BD has won 4 Test against Zimbabwe when conditions suited BD not Zim

1 win over Zim in foreign conditions great achievement for BD

2 wins over West Indies in conditions which suited both

1 win over Sri Lanka in conditions which suited both

And the wins over England and Australia where they had favourable conditions.

I'm not trying to take anything away from BD I'm looking at where they should be setting their next targets
The first Test in 2014 with ZIM actually had a bit for the seamers...let me dig up the scorecard:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1155 ... est-Series

The ZIM seamers took a total of 12 wickets for 205 @ 17 per wicket in that Test. It was actually a nice bouncy surface with a bit of lateral movement which is unusual for the Mirpur wicket.

The other two Tests the ZIM seamers took another 12 wickets for 512 @ 43 runs per wicket (I inculded Chigs but excluded Hammy who took 3 wickets with his medium pace). So the Khulna and Chittagong pitches were markedly different as they were flatter surfaces with no assistance for quicks and a bit of turn from days 4 and 5.

The win in 2013 in Harare was memorable because we had been absolutely butchered in the first Test (ZIM could have won by an innings if they had asked us to follow on as our combined innings total was less than the ZIM 1st innings score). It was also against a ZIM team that had Taylor, Jarvis, Cremer, and Meth who was swinging the ball a mile and a half.

The Windes side in 2009 was a third string. It had Darren Sammy and Kemar Roach but no one else who was probably even first class standard. Still it was perhaps a decent showing because Tamim, Shakib, Mushy were all 20-22 years old and it was overseas.

The SL win I'm not sure what to make of now given how they've played vs ZIM and now India. But they also had just beaten Australia 3-0 who then went on to beat India on a raging turner in Pune by 300+ runs. So I'm still scratching my head trying to figure that Chinese riddle out.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I really liked that pitch and that test match in 2014 and I think if Zimbabwe were smarter with their team selections they could have won that game.

Playing Tinashe, Chatara, Kamungozi & Nyumbu all hopeless batsman gave them no tail at all and considering they were planning on bowling Chigs so much it's hard to understand how the Great Mangongo got his selections so wrong. He played and extra batsman in the next two tests that were actually good batting wickets, he should have done that in the first test :lol:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The top end test series is still great for BD but I'm sure these guys would have dreamt about playing at The MCG & SCG not Cairns or Darwin.

I think BD would do ok at the SCG

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:33 am
I really liked that pitch and that test match in 2014 and I think if Zimbabwe were smarter with their team selections they could have won that game.

Playing Tinashe, Chatara, Kamungozi & Nyumbu all hopeless batsman gave them no tail at all and considering they were planning on bowling Chigs so much it's hard to understand how the Great Mangongo got his selections so wrong. He played and extra batsman in the next two tests that were actually good batting wickets, he should have done that in the first test :lol:
Mushfiqur or Mahmudullah I think remained not out in that match. Mahmudullah was the one that was dropped by Vusi (or was it someone else) and the score would have been 20-5, chasing 101. But Rahim has become a killer with the bat of late. He really started to come into his own after the 2011 World Cup which is incidentally when he got the captaincy.

I wonder what the lowest defended total is in Test history and if anyone has ever defended a target of 101 or less.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 am
The top end test series is still great for BD but I'm sure these guys would have dreamt about playing at The MCG & SCG not Cairns or Darwin.

I think BD would do ok at the SCG
Beggers can't be choosers. We haven't played in England since 2010, in Australia since 2003, or South Africa since 2008. And we were probably lucky to get those tours when we did. Now we deserve them, but these things usually take time.