[Series Thread] Bangladesh in South Africa 2017

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

[Series Thread] Bangladesh in South Africa 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

With such a poor squad selected - I am struggling to remember a squad worse than this one in the last 14 years - I am almost hoping for 2 massive innings defeats. At least that way we can finally rid the team of idiotic selections like Sabbir and Imrul and Rubel.

Perhaps the only interesting thing to watch would be which of the 4 seamers wins the audition for #2 quick bowler for home Tests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Re: [Series Thread] Bangladesh in South Africa 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Steyn may miss the entire series and Philander looks to be sure to miss at least the first Test. Opportunities for the BD batters perhaps...

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Who's not in the squad that should be mate?

I actually like Imrul Kayes, always have done. Sabbir is also a good player of what I saw a while ago in NZ. Just me though.

Hope Bangladesh continue their development here and keep pushing to beat the big boys.

Are there any exciting prospects coming through which you are aware of? Anybody to really keep and eye out for? Need a good solid leg spinner If you ask me

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:36 pm
Who's not in the squad that should be mate?

I actually like Imrul Kayes, always have done. Sabbir is also a good player of what I saw a while ago in NZ. Just me though.

Hope Bangladesh continue their development here and keep pushing to beat the big boys.

Are there any exciting prospects coming through which you are aware of? Anybody to really keep and eye out for? Need a good solid leg spinner If you ask me
Well I think the management is just shuffling shit around hoping something works out which would be ubderstandable if we had an inexperienced side or had our customary 12 month haitus from the game. But none of those are true which begs the question why dont we know what the fuck we ought to be doing?

Firstly, I dont believe Sabbir is a Test player. A top of score of 64 from all his ODIs leads one to believe he doesnt have the temperament/ability to score big. He gets a pass due to his swagger and resemblence to Virat Kohli. If he can score by playing proper cricket shots, fine have him bat at #6 or 7.

Imrul is a decent opener but only on flat wickets. He has himself admitted #3 is not his job yet the dumbass coach insists on batting the edgey bloke there. Soumya has talent and I have been a fan up till now but he is our Vusi, may not have the temperament to score consistently.

Selecting Rubel was a joke, the guy averages 80 after playing 20 Tests.

My first choice WK would be Nurul Hasan who many rate as the best gloveman in the country. He batted quite well on a sporting deck in Christchurch. But I understand the Liton Das selection, although personally I would have a taller WK like Nurul (6'0").

Mahmudullah doesnt belong in the squad either but with both Shakib and Mosaddek out, I wont bitch about him for this series.

Upcoming players, we have Nazmul Hossain Shanto who scored heavily vs county 2nds this month. I am looking for Ibadat Hosain the right arm quick to start contending for the senior sides as he cant possibly be worse than a Rubel.

We dont have any wrist spinners although Jubair Hossain has been selected for the series vs Ireland A next month.

Another promising seamer is Yasir Arafat Mishu who will be playing U-19 cricket and also got drafted in the BPL (probably wont play much). Cant think of too many other players at the moment.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

The National Cricket League started last week( & round 2 starts tonight). I didnt see either Nasir Hossain Shanto or Ibadat in any squad in Rd 1. Considering both were in the tour squad to NZ earlier, what sort of encouragement is given to them? Are they both injured? Or did I overlook them?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion doesn't like Sabbir which is understandable due to his obvious talent but little returns, he said Soumya might be their Vusi but Sabbir is doing his best to earn that label.

Watching him bat he has all the tools and ability but plays so many stupid shots, I said I think he could be a very good No.3 in all formats and I stand by that but he needs to grow a 'cricketing brain' before he can be.

The way he got out against Australia in the 1st innings of the second Test was abysmal, how you can get out stumped trying to pull a off spinner defies logic. That dismissal summed him up perfectly, not enough respect for his wicket.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

cricket_22001 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 am
The National Cricket League started last week( & round 2 starts tonight). I didnt see either Nasir Hossain Shanto or Ibadat in any squad in Rd 1. Considering both were in the tour squad to NZ earlier, what sort of encouragement is given to them? Are they both injured? Or did I overlook them?
Shanto and Ibadat were both in the HP Squad tour to England. They will both be in action form the next round of matches barring injuries. I don't know if Shanto has graduated from the U-19 team yet, if not, then he will be playing vs Afghanistan U-19s next month. But I think Shanto having already made his Test debut, is no longer wanted in the U-19 setup.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:28 am

Watching him bat he has all the tools and ability but plays so many stupid shots, I said I think he could be a very good No.3 in all formats and I stand by that but he needs to grow a 'cricketing brain' before he can be.
Most of the time - not always - but most of the time when a batsmen plays stupid shots its because they lack the ability to play proper shots and score consistently. Granted 3 of the 4 innings in which Sabbir batted, the pitches were absolute minefields...so you can give him some benefit of the doubt. But...Mushfiqur Rahim batted on the same pitches against the same bowlers and looked in TOTAL control - because he is a VASTLY superior batsman. Mominul batted on the same pitches against the same bowlers and looked in control for the most part - because he is a significantly superior batsman. Sabbir kept reverse sweeping the spinners, because he had no freaking clue what to do and was scared shitless.

During their recent Test in SL, I remember saying that the Zimbabwe batsmen's excessive reverse sweeping was not a good sign. It happened to work that day and they set a target of 390, which was relatively easily chased in the end. The point being the reverse sweep should not be your go to shot due to the immense risk of playing it. Even a conventional sweep (paddle or slog) is a much safer and controlled shot, yet should still only be used sparingly.

Its not that dislike Sabbir. I like him, but only for the ODI and T20 team. The only value he brings to the Test team is that he's a gun fielder and athlete.
The way he got out against Australia in the 1st innings of the second Test was abysmal, how you can get out stumped trying to pull a off spinner defies logic. That dismissal summed him up perfectly, not enough respect for his wicket.
That dismissal was actually probably his best one. The ball from Lyon turned miles and he missed - which can happen to anyone. Since he threw the kitchen sink at it, he also lost his balance and fell down - again can happen to anyone as gravity doesn't care about talent. I don't have a problem with that dismissal. Lyon is a class bowler anyways.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You don't get out stumped playing a pull shot, that's just a terrible way to be dismissed.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:10 am
You don't get out stumped playing a pull shot, that's just a terrible way to be dismissed.
He lost his balance due to either the amount of turn. Lyon is an offie and Sabbir is an RHB and the ball turned too far down leg, meaning he had to swivel even further on the pull than you normally would. Lost his balance thereafter. That was far from his worst dismissal of the series. Remember he reviewed a clear edge in the first innings, and in the final innings of the series he could have been out 10 times playing the ungainly reverse sweeps.

Bottom line is, he isn't quite up to the mark for this level. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but thats my assessment of him at the moment.