Proteas XI for Zimbabwe Test

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Proteas XI for Zimbabwe Test

Post by jaybro »

Really interested to see what the Proteas selectors do with their squad selections for the Boxing day Test.

With Steyn, Philander, ABDV & Morkel missing a lot of cricket recently SA have debuted a lot of new players some have done very well, this coupled with the Quota system It will be very hard for the selectors to fit all this talent in one side whilst also meeting their Quota.

Ever since Kallis retired they've been searching for the right combination to replace him, but since he was a once in a life time All-rounder the Proteas are finding it hard to replace him with just the one player.

They continue to switch between 7 batters & 4 bowlers to 6 batters & 5 bowlers, the lose of form and retirement of JP Duminy has also hurt as he was the only Batsman who could bowl.

At the moment they're playing with 6 batsman and 5 bowlers but with De Villiers ready to return who do they drop ??

Elgar is a lock opening and Markam did very well on debut, plus I doubt AB will open anyways, that leaves either Amla, Faf or Bavuma making way for him. Faf is the captain and Amla is well 'Amla' so the logical move is to drop Bavuma as he hasn't really put enough runs on the board despite looking promising. The problem there is by dropping Bavuma for AB you're swapping a Black African for a White which effects the quota target.

You could play AB as an extra batsman which makes more sense but then you have to pick 3 Fast bowlers out of Steyn, Philander, Morkel or Rabada, again Rabada is safe for the quota and Philander too so you have to choose from dropping either Steyn or Morkel the two highest wicket takers in the side.

Morkel, Philander & Steyn all have injury clouds hanging over them so who knows maybe none of them will play and Phehlukwayo will be in the side so they can drop Bavuma for AB??

Either way it will be very interesting to see how the Proteas lineup against Zimbabwe or more interestingly how they select against India & Australia, they can probably afford to 'jig' the side around to accommodate the Quota target against Zimbabwe but against India & Australia they'll need the BEST XI on the pitch.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Flakeman

Re: Proteas XI for Zimbabwe Test

Post by Flakeman »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:16 am
Really interested to see what the Proteas selectors do with their squad selections for the Boxing day Test.

With Steyn, Philander, ABDV & Morkel missing a lot of cricket recently SA have debuted a lot of new players some have done very well, this coupled with the Quota system It will be very hard for the selectors to fit all this talent in one side whilst also meeting their Quota.

Ever since Kallis retired they've been searching for the right combination to replace him, but since he was a once in a life time All-rounder the Proteas are finding it hard to replace him with just the one player.

They continue to switch between 7 batters & 4 bowlers to 6 batters & 5 bowlers, the lose of form and retirement of JP Duminy has also hurt as he was the only Batsman who could bowl.

At the moment they're playing with 6 batsman and 5 bowlers but with De Villiers ready to return who do they drop ??

Elgar is a lock opening and Markam did very well on debut, plus I doubt AB will open anyways, that leaves either Amla, Faf or Bavuma making way for him. Faf is the captain and Amla is well 'Amla' so the logical move is to drop Bavuma as he hasn't really put enough runs on the board despite looking promising. The problem there is by dropping Bavuma for AB you're swapping a Black African for a White which effects the quota target.

You could play AB as an extra batsman which makes more sense but then you have to pick 3 Fast bowlers out of Steyn, Philander, Morkel or Rabada, again Rabada is safe for the quota and Philander too so you have to choose from dropping either Steyn or Morkel the two highest wicket takers in the side.

Morkel, Philander & Steyn all have injury clouds hanging over them so who knows maybe none of them will play and Phehlukwayo will be in the side so they can drop Bavuma for AB??

Either way it will be very interesting to see how the Proteas lineup against Zimbabwe or more interestingly how they select against India & Australia, they can probably afford to 'jig' the side around to accommodate the Quota target against Zimbabwe but against India & Australia they'll need the BEST XI on the pitch.
Good post Jaybro !

It is an interesting one for sure. I just can’t see them dropping Bavuma though, despite being the obvious candidate. I think they will start “resting” players more to accomplish quotas in these lesser games, so that they can field the best XI in big series.

Let’s tell the truth here, Phelukwayo is not a test cricketer. His FC stats are abysmal and it’s in plain sight. He should be embarrassed at getting selected.

I would honestly be worried if I was young Wiaan Mulder, he is setting the Sunfoil Series alight at the moment with massive performances every time he takes the field, and he’s just 19. He is a far superior cricketer to Phelukwayo but I doubt will get to ever move above him in the pecking order. It’s madness. Another is Dwaine Pretorius who has by far the best all rounder record in the land.

I think they’ll rest either Elgar or Amla to accommodate AB when they play us. I think we will shock them if we go with this 11 -

1. Mire
2. Chamu
3. Ham
4. Craig
5. BT
6. Williams
7. Raza
8. Regis/Malcolm wk
9. Cremer
10. Jarvis
11. Chatara

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Tell us more about these players with "excellent" FC stats?

TESTS
Hardus Viljoen
Stiaan van Zyl
Heino Kuhn
Dane Vilas
Theunis de Bruyn
Stephen Cook
Chris Morris
Johan Botha
Andrew Hall
Dewald Pretorius

ODIS
Colin Ingram
Morne van Wyk
Albie Morkel
David Wiese

EDIT: This Dwaine Pretorius talk makes no sense. None whatsoever! He's almost 29 years old, and has shown nothing whenever he's played for SA to suggest that he's worth investment. Recently he flopped badly for SA A in ENG, and at home against IND A.

Andile is just 21 years old. Name five under-22 seam-allrounders as good as him in world cricket right now. He didn;t bowl much, but bowled beautifully against Bangladesh. He even outbowled the highly overrated Duanne Olivier a fronltine seamer.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 pm
Name five under-22 seam-allrounders as good as him in world cricket right now
Sam Curran
Wiaan Mulder
Tom Curran
Hardik Pandya

All I could think of

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 pm
Name five under-22 seam-allrounders as good as him in world cricket right now
Andile Phehlukwayo First Class averages

Batting 20

Bowling 37

http://m.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/c ... 40316.html

Doesn’t really back up your argument Hhm

Compared to Wiaan Mulder

Batting 43 ( 2 hundreds )

Bowling 21

I’m sorry but Andile Phehlukwayo being picked before Wiaan Mulder is not right at all.

I’d like to see how you explain this selection on ‘merit’

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Andile is just 21 years old. Name five under-22 seam-allrounders as good as him in world cricket right now. He didn;t bowl much, but bowled beautifully against Bangladesh. He even outbowled the highly overrated Duanne Olivier a fronltine seamer.
I wouldn't say he outbolwed Olivier...he got one wicket. Olivier has genuine pace up around 140 kph, Phelukwayo was bowling around 130. Can't really compare the two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

You can't compare Wiaan, Sam and Tom to Andile. No ways! :lol:

By the way Kriterion, I wasn't talking about pace.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 am
You can't compare Wiaan, Sam and Tom to Andile. No ways!
In what respect? You asked to name as good an allrounder at the same age. The names I mentioned are better.

I like Andile in the ODI set up. He bowls decent wobbly medium pace and looks like he can hit the ball pretty hard.

Mulder is without a doubt the future though.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
I agree with Hhm, you can’t compare those other guys because they’re genuine international quality players.

Whilst Andile Phehlukwayo is a quota player

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:52 am
pariah wrote:
I agree with Hhm, you can’t compare those other guys because they’re genuine international quality players.

Whilst Andile Phehlukwayo is a quota player
Good point :mrgreen: