Ireland confirm Pakistan as first Test opponents

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Ireland confirm Pakistan as first Test opponents

Post by pariah »

I'm so looking forward to this match... :D

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -opponents
Ireland's first Test match will be against Pakistan in May 2018 after the two countries came to an agreement during the ICC meetings in Auckland this week.

Ireland, along with Afghanistan, were elevated to Test status earlier this year.

"We are excited to welcome Pakistan to Ireland for our inaugural Test match next year," CEO Warren Deutrom said. "It has been our wish to make our Test debut in front of our own fans within 12 months of becoming a Test nation, and against a big team, so I'm delighted."

Pakistan's trip to Ireland will come before their two-Test tour of England which begins in late May. The date and location for the Ireland match will be confirmed in the coming months.

"There is a lot of work to do from now to ensure that it will be an occasion to remember but we, and I'm sure our players and fans, can't wait to rise to it," Deutrom said.

"We would like to thank the Pakistan Cricket Board most sincerely for agreeing to be our first opponent in Test cricket, the Pakistan team has been a regular visitor to our shores in recent years, and their agreement to be our opponent on this important occasion for Irish cricket is further evidence of their terrific support."

Bangladesh were the previous team to join the Test ranks when they played their first match against India in November 2000.

"Test cricket is the pinnacle of our sport and I know how much this game will mean to not only the players but all involved with Irish cricket. It'll be another step on what has been an incredible journey for our sport in a relatively short passage of time," William Porterfield, the Ireland captain, said.

"It's sure to be an incredible and emotional experience for all involved. I know how much this will mean to all the players and just how much we all will forward to our dream of being Test cricketers realised. I'm certain there will be an incredible atmosphere from both sets of fans who will be keen to witness a piece of history."
My prediction: Pakistan will lose!

Who volunteers to go to such a place with the kind of batsmen they have.

pariah

Re: Ireland confirm Pakistan as first Test opponents

Post by pariah »

How is Irish weather like in April?

pariah

Post by pariah »

Dublin in April...
IrishWeatherApril - Copy.png
IrishWeatherApril - Copy.png (32.93 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Dublin in May...
IrishWeatherMay - Copy.png
IrishWeatherMay - Copy.png (33.2 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

pariah

Post by pariah »

In Ireland, everyone talks about the weather. Whether it's discussing the direction of the rain from a supermarket doorway, or musing that it's 75°F in March from a bar counter.

Irish weather can be unpredictable, so we like to discuss it. A lot.

In spring (February to April), the average highest temperatures range from 46 to 54°F, with April considered particularly pleasant. In summer (May to July), the averages for highest temperatures are between 64 and 68°F.
:|

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Irish weather: much the same as English. (Source: I live here.)

If this is in Belfast (Stormont), I'll make a point of being there for at least part of it. Suspect they'll want to show off their new national cricket stadium in Dublin (Malahide), though. And Belfast got the inaugural ODI, so fair exchange etc. Malahide's also got the best capacity of the 3 international grounds here - 11,500 vs around 5,500 for Stormont and 3,200 for Clontarf.

pariah

Post by pariah »

maehara wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 am
Irish weather: much the same as English. (Source: I live here.)

If this is in Belfast (Stormont), I'll make a point of being there for at least part of it. Suspect they'll want to show off their new national cricket stadium in Dublin (Malahide), though. And Belfast got the inaugural ODI, so fair exchange etc. Malahide's also got the best capacity of the 3 international grounds here - 11,500 vs around 5,500 for Stormont and 3,200 for Clontarf.
How many Pakistanis do you reckon you have in Ireland?

SA is overrun with Bangladeshis(plus Pakistanis) and they all live in the township containers(shipping), rooms and office space they rent to sell groceries no one knows where they stock from.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

pariah wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am

SA is overrun with Bangladeshis(plus Pakistanis) and they all live in the township containers(shipping), rooms and office space they rent to sell groceries no one knows where they stock from.
We "ovverun" the UK as well. Far less so in Ireland, but we have a presence there as well. Lots of Bangladeshis at the recent tri series in Ireland. I'm sure Pakistanis have similar numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)