ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Zero76

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Zero76 »

England were equal if not slightly ahead for the first part of the Gabba test. But they then capitulated batting in the second innings, and Australia made light work of a small target.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Combined ashes 11 after the two tests;

1 Warner
2. STONEMAN
3. Vince
4 smith
5 root
6 marsh
7 bairstow
8 Ali
9 Broad
10 starc
11 Overton
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:36 pm
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 am

Steve Smith is being touted by Ponting himself as the modern games greatest bat. Who was the last guy to aveage 60+ for more than 20 Tests?

Tendulkar's aveage never touched 60...ever. neither did Ponting. Or Lara. Or Kallis. Or Dravid.

Smith has been carrying 60 for quite some time now.
You don't have to go back too far: Adam "The Don" Voges

The way Smith is going, one day he could be as good as Voges though.
Voges didn't average 60 after 100+ innings. Maybe he could have, but at his age, it was highly unlikely.

Hussey too averaged 80 for a good long while, but by the time he played as man Tests as Smith has now, his avsraged dropped to barely above 50.
I think BRM's comment was tongue-in-cheek :)

A fair way to look at it is to list the great bowlers Ponting, Lara, Kallis and Dravid faced, and compare them to Smith.

The only thing I don't want to see is a situation where one player pulls away from the rest. We saw it a lot in NBA - KAJ, MJ, Kobe, Lebron, it's getting better now. That era of batsmen was competitive. Even the likes of Sanga slightly after them had the likes of Amla with them. Smith pulling away from Williamson, Kohli, Pujara and Root is a concern for me. He is so good even the Warners are looking average. Handscomb can be a 50 avg player alongside him but look average too. It's tolerable in a team, but not in an art/profession. Cricket cannot be reduced to individual sports like swimming or athletics.

Having Messi/Christiano has affected football too in a way. Before guys could take time to appreciate the Bergkamps and Riquelmes alongside the Zidanes and Figos. But who notices an Isco or a Neymar alongside that Portuguese and Argentinian? Some. Cricket is helped by rivalries an dbackgrounds e.g. Indians will love Kohli and default to AB while sidelining Smit.

But in truth Steve Smith is a genius! And half the time his face and demeanor say I "haven't even hit 2nd gear" or "I have no idea what I'm doing". In a perfect situation, he would be universally acknowledged as peerless and be the face of the game.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Test cricket and test only smith is the worlds best bat and has scored tons pretty much everywhere he has played , except maybe Bangladesh ? He’s a pure hardworking and determined batsman who has his own class compared to the old greats . He looks confused and his technique dodgey as a alleyway at night time but he’s always assured in his own head. He’s proved a lot of people wrong and shut a lot of critics up yet amazed people at how good he has become. It’s great for the game to have legendary players like himself Virat , Williamson, Warner and to a smaller extent joe root.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I also forgot Ab devilliers ! Complete freak and a pleasure to have watched over the years. I remember watching him at the waca when he was a young pup opening the batting. He had a average series but I’m sure he got a 50 against the likes of McGrath ,lee and Warne.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

This game is 50/50 now. Smith should have enforced the follow on (too timid).

7 wickets in hand, 186 runs to win. This feels very much like the SL vs Zim Test a few months ago. I reckon England will win.

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Not enforcing the follow on seems like a substantial blunder in hindsight, England have been brought right back in to the game. If Australia want to win they need to remove Root as soon as possible.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Australia wins easily in the end

IMO of the Ashes series I’ve seen these sides are both the LEAST talented sides I’ve seen either side put out.

Australia’s pace attack is quality maybe the best in the world and Lyon is bowling very well but apart from Smith and Warner the batting lineup is very inconsistent

As for England they really are crap I can’t believe they have picked a top order with 3 players yet to score a century and average low 20’s. With no Stokes they’re struggling for X factor and their bowling attack lacks penetration. Broad and Anderson aren’t the same bowlers they were a few years ago and to be honest only ever take wickets in bowler friendly conditions
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Surely this isn’t the best attack England can put out?

I can see these guys going well in county but literally not one 140 plus pacer this Test. Bowling wise this is man against boys stuff
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY