ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by pariah »

Andybligzz wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am
Ben cutting ( old and done now pretty much )[/quote]Could hit a lon ball MoreT20/ODI fnisher than Test.
I would say if Mitch can get his average with the bat up to around 30-35 he’s the player Aus is after. The talents there for sure for Mitch but he was chucked in the deep end early and had the hard way to learn. I think he will come good though , anyone’s who can hit 140 kmh on his day and and make hundreads in fc cricket in Aus is a seriously dangerous and amazing talent . Hope he comes good in the test stuff , be great for the game .
Langer said he must ay the next Test.

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

I understand the logic of the M Marsh selection, they want a good fifth bowling option as the WACA tends to be an absolute road these days. But he simply isn't even in the top 10 batsmen in the country, not by a long way. For someone with his past failures at Test level, the bar should have been set a hell of a lot higher for him to regain his place.

But on the other hand, one day cricket is a different matter, his record there is more than solid.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Zero76 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm
I understand the logic of the M Marsh selection, they want a good fifth bowling option as the WACA tends to be an absolute road these days. But he simply isn't even in the top 10 batsmen in the country, not by a long way. For someone with his past failures at Test level, the bar should have been set a hell of a lot higher for him to regain his place.

But on the other hand, one day cricket is a different matter, his record there is more than solid.

It hasn't helped that we haven't had a keeper who can score runs since Haddin, maybe now with Paine there it will take some pressure off Marsh.

I totally forgot about Marcus Stoinis but he's definitely a limited overs player
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Would love to be proven wrong, but I simply can't see Marsh doing any better than his last crack at test cricket. Worryingly I get the feeling his brothers good form counted in his favour at the selection meeting.

As for Stoinis, he recently took a couple of games off from Shield cricket due to the death of his father, understandably national selection may not have been at the front of his mind at the time.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Marsh has been in the top ten for Sheffield shield runs this year though , he has also been captain and lead from the front . I remember in school cricket he scored 300 against us at Newman college here in wa. Never seen such a rare young talent live, got hit for 5 sixes by him :lol:
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Andybligzz wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 am
Marsh has been in the top ten for Sheffield shield runs this year though , he has also been captain and lead from the front . I remember in school cricket he scored 300 against us at Newman college here in wa. Never seen such a rare young talent live, got hit for 5 sixes by him :lol:
Looks like I may need to eat some humble pie, Marsh has just made a top notch century. Yeah the pitch is fairly docile, but that was still a brilliant innings. Was especially impressed by some of the technical adjustments he has made. Where as previously he would tend to push at the ball with hard hands in defence, today he was getting his feet to the pitch of the ball and playing it more softly. Well played.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Zero76 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Looks like I may need to eat some humble pie, Marsh has just made a top notch century. Yeah the pitch is fairly docile, but that was still a brilliant innings. Was especially impressed by some of the technical adjustments he has made. Where as previously he would tend to push at the ball with hard hands in defence, today he was getting his feet to the pitch of the ball and playing it more softly. Well played.
He has hunger to improve and has always stated he wants to be remembered as a test player not just a short format player . The talent is there and hopefully now this is the new Mitchell Marsh the world is seeing. Serious talent and potential to be a class all rounder . Can’t beat a genuine all rounder
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Andybligzz wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 am
Zero76 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am
Andybligzz wrote:
He has hunger to improve and has always stated he wants to be remembered as a test player not just a short format player . The talent is there and hopefully now this is the new Mitchell Marsh the world is seeing. Serious talent and potential to be a class all rounder . Can’t beat a genuine all rounder

I sure hope so as well, this test is certainly a good start. Hopefully this leads to more consistency, a bloke who can score centuries with the bat and hit 140kph with the ball is invaluable to any team.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I just watched bits and pieces of this Steve Smith - Mitch Marsh partnership. Surely, this is the ugliest pair of cricketers to watch? I mean there is really no room for class there anywhere, no finesse, no caressing,... It's just all about moving inexplicably around the delivery and bludgeon with extravagance, even if it is for a single ultimately.

May be I'm too old, but I'd rather pay and watch a day long session of a Sangakkara / Laxman artistry than this utterly disdainful murder of cricketing class. This Ashes basically seems like the Aussie disdain vs English pusillanimity more than any cricketing depth really...

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 am
I just watched bits and pieces of this Steve Smith - Mitch Marsh partnership. Surely, this is the ugliest pair of cricketers to watch? I mean there is really no room for class there anywhere, no finesse, no caressing,... It's just all about moving inexplicably around the delivery and bludgeon with extravagance, even if it is for a single ultimately.

May be I'm too old, but I'd rather pay and watch a day long session of a Sangakkara / Laxman artistry than this utterly disdainful murder of cricketing class. This Ashes basically seems like the Aussie disdain vs English pusillanimity more than any cricketing depth really...
You don’t enjoy Smith’s technique Crimson ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement