ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
pariah
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by pariah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 am

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 am
@Pariah
Why’s you delete your picture comments?
I think maehara misunderstood something. That's the situation right now...

ImageImage

pariah
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by pariah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Aussies, any info on this Jake Weatherald fellow? What's he about? http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 81285.html

Anyway in analysing him a bit I came across Cameron Bancroft opening the batting, scoring 228, then also keeping wicket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8043 ... ield-pura/

Surely if Australia could pick Shaun Marsh who opens in Shield cricket to bat at 6, they could have made Bancroft keep and either kept faith in Renshaw or brought in another player. Not a waste to pick both Paine and Bancroft? After all, Australia have been struggling to get a decent keeper batsman(emphasis on the batting aspect).

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by ZIMDOGGY » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 am

pariah wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 pm
Aussies, any info on this Jake Weatherald fellow? What's he about? http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 81285.html

Anyway in analysing him a bit I came across Cameron Bancroft opening the batting, scoring 228, then also keeping wicket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8043 ... ield-pura/

Surely if Australia could pick Shaun Marsh who opens in Shield cricket to bat at 6, they could have made Bancroft keep and either kept faith in Renshaw or brought in another player. Not a waste to pick both Paine and Bancroft? After all, Australia have been struggling to get a decent keeper batsman(emphasis on the batting aspect).
Weatherald played for the strikers last season I think. Seemed very athletic, can’t remembee much else. Didn’t stand out like a Chris Lynn (who has been unbelievable good) but yes he’s ok.

Good pickup regarding Bancroft. Never heard that discussed in the media.

I don’t know what the problem is with Aussie batting lately. They are all capable. They have all dominated shield, they dominate the BBL,IPL and english PL, in LOI they grow a lot of confidence and hit centuries for fun. Then lose it at test level. Maybe they are too used to batting quickly and hitting boundaries ?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

User avatar
Andybligzz
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes threads

Post by Andybligzz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:27 am

pariah wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 pm
Aussies, any info on this Jake Weatherald fellow? What's he about? http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 81285.html

Anyway in analysing him a bit I came across Cameron Bancroft opening the batting, scoring 228, then also keeping wicket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8043 ... ield-pura/

Surely if Australia could pick Shaun Marsh who opens in Shield cricket to bat at 6, they could have made Bancroft keep and either kept faith in Renshaw or brought in another player. Not a waste to pick both Paine and Bancroft? After all, Australia have been struggling to get a decent keeper batsman(emphasis on the batting aspect).
Weatherald is a dashing opening batsman who plays for the red backs ( south Australia ) he’s a classical player who has all the shots , he’s very young and will definitely be a future test cricketer. He’s young , confident and plenty of class. I’ve said it for years Bancroft is not a test cricketer , maybe 30 years ago but his technique is not good at all and always has to have bat on ball , he struggles to rotate the strike as well. I think renshaw is the same but he knows how to bat long and play a test match innings , yes Bancroft got that 220 not out but
From what I’ve seen renshaw being only 21 at the time and batting for long periods in India Is a sign of someone who can play.bancroft was just a selection because he was in form at the time and renshaw wasn’t . Ashes cricket means everything to cricket fans in Aus , it’s the pinnical.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Zero76
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Zero76 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 am

Weatherald is a seriously promising opening batsman, I also believe he is good enough to play for Australia in the future. Originally from Darwin, has played for the Redbacks in Adelaide for a couple of seasons now. Attacking left handed batsman, especially brutal on anything with too much width.

As for the Bancroft v Renshaw debate, that is an interesting one. Renshaw probably has the greater long term potential but lost form at the worst possible time. Bancroft has shown enough to be worth persisting with for the rest of the Ashes at least.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 6855
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by jaybro » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Renshaw is so out of form it’s not funny he would have been no challenge for the poms

I think they’ve gotten the side right imo
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Zero76
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Zero76 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 am

jaybro wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm
Renshaw is so out of form it’s not funny he would have been no challenge for the poms

I think they’ve gotten the side right imo
Yeah the side is mostly right, Renshaw wouldn't be able to make many Ashes runs in current form. But the one unequivocal blunder is to consider recalling Mitch Marsh. Can think of a good 10-15 guys at domestic level who are more deserving to bat at six than him, needs to play a lot more Shield cricket before he should come into Test calculations.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 6855
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by jaybro » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 am

Zero76 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 am
jaybro wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm
Renshaw is so out of form it’s not funny he would have been no challenge for the poms

I think they’ve gotten the side right imo
Yeah the side is mostly right, Renshaw wouldn't be able to make many Ashes runs in current form. But the one unequivocal blunder is to consider recalling Mitch Marsh. Can think of a good 10-15 guys at domestic level who are more deserving to bat at six than him, needs to play a lot more Shield cricket before he should come into Test calculations.

There aren’t many good seam bowling allrounders in oz
And the selectors want one to bat 6.

Cartwright - Not much of a bowler

Faulkner - more of a limited overs bowler

Henriques - Really good first class batsman and decent bowler but seems to have ‘hit his ceiling’ as a player. Has player 4 Tests in Asia so maybe deserves a chance at Home.

My memory may have failed me here but I can’t think of any other seam bowling allrounders going around ?
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

pariah
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by pariah » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 am

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 am
Weatherald played for the strikers last season I think. Seemed very athletic, can’t remembee much else. Didn’t stand out like a Chris Lynn (who has been unbelievable good) but yes he’s ok.

Good pickup regarding Bancroft. Never heard that discussed in the media.

I don’t know what the problem is with Aussie batting lately. They are all capable. They have all dominated shield, they dominate the BBL,IPL and english PL, in LOI they grow a lot of confidence and hit centuries for fun. Then lose it at test level. Maybe they are too used to batting quickly and hitting boundaries ?
Andybligzz wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:27 am
Weatherald is a dashing opening batsman who plays for the red backs ( south Australia ) he’s a classical player who has all the shots , he’s very young and will definitely be a future test cricketer. He’s young , confident and plenty of class. I’ve said it for years Bancroft is not a test cricketer , maybe 30 years ago but his technique is not good at all and always has to have bat on ball , he struggles to rotate the strike as well. I think renshaw is the same but he knows how to bat long and play a test match innings , yes Bancroft got that 220 not out but
From what I’ve seen renshaw being only 21 at the time and batting for long periods in India Is a sign of someone who can play.bancroft was just a selection because he was in form at the time and renshaw wasn’t . Ashes cricket means everything to cricket fans in Aus , it’s the pinnical.
Thanks guys.

By the way, my talent-spotting powers are not limited to ZIM and SA alone :D

viewtopic.php?p=26241#p26241
hhm wrote:
Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 am
No doubt the side Aus A have sent shows that Aus' future is secure (albeit not the immediate future), and in my opinion, the status quo will soon return and they'll be dominant again. Of all the Full Members their transition to the next generation of world-beaters is clearly more stable and assured. Which is why everyone else in world cricket appears more hypocritically worried about Aus' future than Aus themselves are. However, some of the guys are right, we definitely have to agree that the SA A-side is stronger. I would have preferred facing them for our four day games as opposed to this Aus side. Aus have sent rookies, but SA have sent a more experienced&polished side in terms of talent, maturity and mental toughness. These guys have more FC and List A experience compared to these Aus youngsters. Believe me when I say this, SA's domestic competitiveness is streets ahead of Aus right now. If any of the guys in the SA A-side were to be selected for the Proteas in either the Test or ODI teams right now, few would complain. It's just that other countries are less brave than Aus to field youngsters and less experienced players, but truly speaking, many of the guys in the Aus side are a little undercooked to hold down a spot in the Aus side. Of the Aus batsmen I only truly rate Shaun Marsh(omitted) & Starc as ones to be stars, while Ferguson&Paine are close. The rest are ok. So yes, saying this Aus-A side can beat the current side is a stretch - the Test arena is for men, it's not a breeding ground. In a nutshell, I can see the SA side annihilitating us if they click well, but I can only see the Aus side outplaying us not embarrassing us like the SA side potentially can if they choose to.

For the record, after Zim, Aus are my favorite. I don't really like the SA sports sides. Can't wait for the millenium when the Sables give the Boks a 48-3 hiding!!
Last edited by pariah on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Andybligzz
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Andybligzz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am

jaybro wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 am
Zero76 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 am
jaybro wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm
Renshaw is so out of form it’s not funny he would have been no challenge for the poms

I think they’ve gotten the side right imo
Yeah the side is mostly right, Renshaw wouldn't be able to make many Ashes runs in current form. But the one unequivocal blunder is to consider recalling Mitch Marsh. Can think of a good 10-15 guys at domestic level who are more deserving to bat at six than him, needs to play a lot more Shield cricket before he should come into Test calculations.

There aren’t many good seam bowling allrounders in oz
And the selectors want one to bat 6.

Cartwright - Not much of a bowler

Faulkner - more of a limited overs bowler

Henriques - Really good first class batsman and decent bowler but seems to have ‘hit his ceiling’ as a player. Has player 4 Tests in Asia so maybe deserves a chance at Home.

My memory may have failed me here but I can’t think of any other seam bowling allrounders going around ?
Ben cutting ( old and done now pretty much ) Marco stoinis ( had a chance before the ashes but didn’t make much or get any wickets ) other than that there’s not a hell of a lot to choose from and I would say if Mitch can get his average with the bat up to around 30-35 he’s the player Aus is after. The talents there for sure for Mitch but he was chucked in the deep end early and had the hard way to learn. I think he will come good though , anyone’s who can hit 140 kmh on his day and and make hundreads in fc cricket in Aus is a seriously dangerous and amazing talent . Hope he comes good in the test stuff , be great for the game .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests