ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by pariah »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 am
I just watched bits and pieces of this Steve Smith - Mitch Marsh partnership. Surely, this is the ugliest pair of cricketers to watch? I mean there is really no room for class there anywhere, no finesse, no caressing,... It's just all about moving inexplicably around the delivery and bludgeon with extravagance, even if it is for a single ultimately.

May be I'm too old, but I'd rather pay and watch a day long session of a Sangakkara / Laxman artistry than this utterly disdainful murder of cricketing class. This Ashes basically seems like the Aussie disdain vs English pusillanimity more than any cricketing depth really...
Before I agree, talk us through your feelings on those countless Kallis-Kirsten partnerships first. :|

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Smith was told his technique won’t hold up , former players slammed him , fans laughed at how he looked when he batted. The guy now is the best test bat in the world by a long shot and is so control of his game , todays knock was class people are so ungrateful saying it’s ugly on the eye and rather watch Laxman. If it’s ugly and it works it still works , he’s a freak and may well Be Australia’s 2 nd best bat in history by the time he retires . What your seeing even if you don’t like what your seeing is a future all
Time great and a current legend.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Right, just to make myself clear, I never said I rate Smith lower than others or whatever just because his approach to batting seems ugly. He is indeed a modern day great, all I said is I don't feel like watching him ahead of a Sangakkara or a Laxman because I prefer watching such, poetry in motion, instead of meaningless moving around and bludgeoning. In fact, I don't like Kohli too, because he has a similar game on the leg side at least - extravagant unnecessary bludgeoning. Would rather prefer a Rahul or a Rohit Sharma.

Having said that, I was a massive fan of Steve Waugh and never really fancied watching Mark Waugh, who definitely played his cricket with more finesse compared to the former. But with Steve, the ruthlessness still came with some remarkable timing and shot selection and an array of shots that were all executed differently as required by that shot. With Smith (and Kohli), every shot has the same trigger movement, extravagant bat swing, and an air of disdainful nonchalance that I really don't fancy.

Just my preference, nothing to do with their effectiveness anyway.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 pm
Right, just to make myself clear, I never said I rate Smith lower than others or whatever just because his approach to batting seems ugly. He is indeed a modern day great, all I said is I don't feel like watching him ahead of a Sangakkara or a Laxman because I prefer watching such, poetry in motion, instead of meaningless moving around and bludgeoning. In fact, I don't like Kohli too, because he has a similar game on the leg side at least - extravagant unnecessary bludgeoning. Would rather prefer a Rahul or a Rohit Sharma.

Having said that, I was a massive fan of Steve Waugh and never really fancied watching Mark Waugh, who definitely played his cricket with more finesse compared to the former. But with Steve, the ruthlessness still came with some remarkable timing and shot selection and an array of shots that were all executed differently as required by that shot. With Smith (and Kohli), every shot has the same trigger movement, extravagant bat swing, and an air of disdainful nonchalance that I really don't fancy.

I apologise if I came across as rude , bit of a soft spot of mine . I really appreciate a bat like smith and how he has proved a lot of a**holes wrong who doubted him. I appreciate a attractive player on the eye myself , I just love how unorthodox he is and would have been a coaches nightmare yet you can’t coach making runs.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

So 3-0 for the second straight Ashes series here in OZ.

At least in the last Ashes here the Aussies played at such a high standard where compared to this series I think it’s more a case of England playing so poorly.

Will we ever see another Ashes series like 2005 ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Andybligzz wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 am
I apologise if I came across as rude , bit of a soft spot of mine
No issues mate, he is indeed mighty effective, irrespective of how it looks while watching, and has been instrumental in wresting the Ashes back. Best wishes...

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Yeah Smith is painful to watch and so are Root and Kohli (to lesser extents). Could watch Tendulkar or even a Vusi bat for days tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 am
So 3-0 for the second straight Ashes series here in OZ.

At least in the last Ashes here the Aussies played at such a high standard where compared to this series I think it’s more a case of England playing so poorly.

Will we ever see another Ashes series like 2005 ?
It’s also case of a relentless bowling attack and probably one of Australia’s all time best . I know it’s early but every bowler offers something different and there is never any easy periods. Just remember Starc was the leading wicket taker in Sri Lanka , haZelwood has a 7 for in India and Nathan Lyon is test crickets leading wicket tacker this calendar year . Yes England are playing poor but the aussies have gone for the throat at the key moments .
England’s bowling attack is a joke though , if Aus can find another young bat to replace Shaun Marsh and bring back renshaw , with Mitch Marsh hopefully becoming the player we know he can this team looks very dangerous and will challenge every side.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Andybligzz wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm
It’s also case of a relentless bowling attack and probably one of Australia’s all time best . I know it’s early but every bowler offers something different Starc haZelwood Nathan Lyon
Smacked around by Duminy and Bavuma(couple of times), plus single-handedly outbowled by a very very young Rabada http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1061 ... -1st-test/

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

pariah wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 pm
Andybligzz wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm
It’s also case of a relentless bowling attack and probably one of Australia’s all time best . I know it’s early but every bowler offers something different Starc haZelwood Nathan Lyon
Smacked around by Duminy and Bavuma(couple of times), plus single-handedly outbowled by a very very young Rabada http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1061 ... -1st-test/
This argument is useless , Aus now have the big 3 playing together and they gel as a unit . Rabada bowled exceptionally well and so did Abbott. Australia’s attack is now superior to South Africa’s and you will see when the aussies tour there soon. Remember last time Cummins went there as a 18 year old ? Had Jacque Kallis on a string , now he’s a much smarter bowler and has Starc and the best pace bowler in the world in haZelwood to back him up. Mitch Marsh getting more game time will only strengthen this attack add Nathan Lyon and boy it’s a scary prospect for any side . Now with all this quota crap going on on it’s not allowing South Africa to pick there best team . The aussies record in South Africa is very very good , can see them winning the series