ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
User avatar
eugene
Posts: 6456
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:31 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by eugene » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:17 am

pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
Agreed, Andy Flower was better than anyone on either of these teams. All hail Andy!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Kriterion_BD » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 am

pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
Steve Smith is being touted by Ponting himself as the modern games greatest bat. Who was the last guy to aveage 60+ for more than 20 Tests?

Tendulkar's aveage never touched 60...ever. neither did Ponting. Or Lara. Or Kallis. Or Dravid.

Smith has been carrying 60 for quite some time now.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 6386
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by jaybro » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm

pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.

Smith was always a batsman the selectors were just desperate to find the next Shane Warne

There were stories coming through about this young batsman Steve Smith through age group cricket well before we saw his leg spin
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Jemisi
Posts: 6889
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 am
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Jemisi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 am

pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
The cricket was not poor. It was disciplined and challenging. It was a proper test match between teams that are close in quality.

pariah
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by pariah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 am

Jemisi wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 am
pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
The cricket was not poor. It was disciplined and challenging. It was a proper test match between teams that are close in quality.
I can't think of any challenging 10 wicket loss

User avatar
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator
Posts: 6976
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:22 pm
Contact:

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by brmtaylor.com admin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 am

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 am
pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
Steve Smith is being touted by Ponting himself as the modern games greatest bat. Who was the last guy to aveage 60+ for more than 20 Tests?

Tendulkar's aveage never touched 60...ever. neither did Ponting. Or Lara. Or Kallis. Or Dravid.

Smith has been carrying 60 for quite some time now.
You don't have to go back too far: Adam "The Don" Voges

The way Smith is going, one day he could be as good as Voges though.

Mr Twig
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Mr Twig » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 am

Great to see a whole heap of Barmy Army at the Adelaide Test in old Zimbabwe shirts.

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Kriterion_BD » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:36 pm

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 am
pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
Steve Smith is being touted by Ponting himself as the modern games greatest bat. Who was the last guy to aveage 60+ for more than 20 Tests?

Tendulkar's aveage never touched 60...ever. neither did Ponting. Or Lara. Or Kallis. Or Dravid.

Smith has been carrying 60 for quite some time now.
You don't have to go back too far: Adam "The Don" Voges

The way Smith is going, one day he could be as good as Voges though.
Voges didn't average 60 after 100+ innings. Maybe he could have, but at his age, it was highly unlikely.

Hussey too averaged 80 for a good long while, but by the time he played as man Tests as Smith has now, his avsraged dropped to barely above 50.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

Jemisi
Posts: 6889
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 am
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Jemisi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

pariah wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 am
Jemisi wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 am
pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Australia very fortunate to be staring at just 300 againnst a Stoke-less England with several batsmen and allrounders not contributing.

A case of a vastly more experienced Test attack versus one still growing. But all in all, extremely poor cricket by both sides.

A former legspinner head and shoulders above everyone else with the bat, not just in this Test but generally in world cricket, underlines the state of the game.
The cricket was not poor. It was disciplined and challenging. It was a proper test match between teams that are close in quality.
I can't think of any challenging 10 wicket loss
So for the sake of being contrary you are willing to demonstrate spectacular ignorance?

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: ZCF 2017/18 Ashes thread

Post by Kriterion_BD » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 am

Jemisi wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm
pariah wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 am
Jemisi wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 am


The cricket was not poor. It was disciplined and challenging. It was a proper test match between teams that are close in quality.
I can't think of any challenging 10 wicket loss
So for the sake of being contrary you are willing to demonstrate spectacular ignorance?
Well the match did end in a drubbing for England. A 10 wicket loss is never a close game. But the Test was well poised for the better part of 3 days. Even a well contested Test match can be decided by 100+ runs or 5-6 wickets.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests