South Africa Watch

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: South Africa Watch

Post by sloandog » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Players who need to be being looked at, in my opinion, can be found below.

Future batters of South African Cricket:
. Aiden Markram - Obviously been bedded in nicely, but has to be stuck with. His ODI stats are dreadful but he'll get there. So talented, stupidly in fact.
. Zubayr Hamza
. Raynard Van Tonder
. Kyle Verreynne
. Jannamen Malan
. Matthew Breetzke
. Bryce Parsons (Simply remember this kids name).
. Andrew Louw
When in doubt, listen to Oasis chaps....

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 pm

jaybro wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:02 am
With the Proteas getting their arses handed to them over in India it’s probably a good time to have another look at this thread. A lot of what I said in my first post has been pretty accurate, the player drain has continued and has started to take its toll on results big time.

Honestly Zimbabwe wouldn’t do much worse than what South Africa are dishing up in India, in fact I reckon they’d do better. This South African side has folded like a deck of cards, seriously lacking leadership out there.

Imagine how bad it will be in 10 years time ?
SA competed fairly well in the first Test - showed some fight at least. But they totally lost the plot after that. Its difficult to imagine that India are as good as these scores look or that SA are as bad. Here's the question, though...would England have fared much better? How about Australia? Australia you reckon would have surely done better than SA here.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

jaybro

Post by jaybro » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm

I’d be very confident in saying both England & Australia would have done much better than what South Africa have done, that 2nd Test pitch wasn’t a dust bowl, in fact all the pitches have been fair. They just don’t have a good side atm and will only win Tests at home where their fast bowling unit can rip a team apart for a low score, even then their batting is a worry and will likely fall to pieces as well.

They’ve lost their last 5 tests two of which were at home to Sri Lanka
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 pm

You've got to think that SA just have no idea what their best is or how. No one really stands out to me as being part of a core. A few individual players who can perform when they want to, but as a unit, it is all over the place.

jaybro

Post by jaybro » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 am

They're missing their 'banker' in the middle order, all good sides at least one or two. It's no surprise that NZ have shot up the rankings on the back of Williamson, Ross Taylor and even Nicholls now can be counted on for runs, India obviously have Virat & Pujara and Australia have Smith (who almost counts as two players he's that good).

It's no surprise England have struggled of late as Root has declined whilst the other nations all rely on different guys putting their hands up to do the job from innings to innings. Looking at South Africa they had three bankers in their side with Amla, Kallis & AB all in the one side, but Kallis retired then AB and now Amla so they're left with Faf, who to be honest isn't in the same calibre and can't be relied on for runs when the rest fail.

Faf is a great player and a really good leader (although in this series he's been average in both areas) but the side needs that one guy at least, who can average 55-60 in Tests. Looking at their side they have a pretty good opening partnership in Markram & Elgar despite the recent dip in form for Aiden, in comparison to the other opening partnerships around the world I'd say that's a good one. But their middle order is pathetic, they haven't been able to replace Kallis, Hash or AB at all, De Bruyn looks a decent player but he can't make runs, Bavuma is a quota player and Hamza is still unproven.

They have a lot of the key ingredients to a good side, as I said they have a good opening partnership, a good captain and a really good pace attack, but they're lacking that banker in the middle order and some leadership.
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:36 am

Sad state for SA, but hope they build from here with the inexperienced squad getting the exposure from here on. Only Maharaj looked like he belonged in the league (even with the bat), toiling away despite the toss disadvantage for him, and Rabada and Elgar looked good in patches. Batting a massive letdown.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:19 am

Will be interesting to see what the fallout is. This is a tour where Faf looks as though he's lost the dressing room. And it seems to be an unhappy dressing room. I'm trying not to read too much about the Rabada/de Kock incident in the 2nd test but it wasn't a good look.
The morale reminded me of the 12/13 Aussie tour of India which was the death knell for Micky Arthur.
They probably won't want to change things too much given there's a big home series against the Poms.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:09 am

jaybro wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 am
They're missing their 'banker' in the middle order, all good sides at least one or two. It's no surprise that NZ have shot up the rankings on the back of Williamson, Ross Taylor and even Nicholls now can be counted on for runs, India obviously have Virat & Pujara and Australia have Smith (who almost counts as two players he's that good).

It's no surprise England have struggled of late as Root has declined whilst the other nations all rely on different guys putting their hands up to do the job from innings to innings. Looking at South Africa they had three bankers in their side with Amla, Kallis & AB all in the one side, but Kallis retired then AB and now Amla so they're left with Faf, who to be honest isn't in the same calibre and can't be relied on for runs when the rest fail.

Faf is a great player and a really good leader (although in this series he's been average in both areas) but the side needs that one guy at least, who can average 55-60 in Tests. Looking at their side they have a pretty good opening partnership in Markram & Elgar despite the recent dip in form for Aiden, in comparison to the other opening partnerships around the world I'd say that's a good one. But their middle order is pathetic, they haven't been able to replace Kallis, Hash or AB at all, De Bruyn looks a decent player but he can't make runs, Bavuma is a quota player and Hamza is still unproven.

They have a lot of the key ingredients to a good side, as I said they have a good opening partnership, a good captain and a really good pace attack, but they're lacking that banker in the middle order and some leadership.
Amla is not in the same class as Kallis and AB, IMHO. A very good player but I get the feeling he was a home track bully. A South African Mahela Jayawardene (also a fine player, but not in the class of a Sangakkara or Dravid).
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

jaybro

Post by jaybro » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 am

Mate look at his record he was class

Find it funny how you under rate good players like Root & Amla yet you’ll put Mushy up with Kohli etc