South Africa Watch

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: South Africa Watch

Post by sloandog »

They just aren't picking the right batters in my opinion. Guys like Smuts and Van Biljion are not savvy selections. They're in their 30's and won't be around for a huge amount of time. They might come off every now and then but it won't be enough. There's boat loads of young batting talent in the South African FC system right now, young lads who should be getting picked, much like De Kock did in 2012/13 against New Zealand.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Faf has to go, he is a liability at this stage. Even Markram could score more runs at this point.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:54 pm
Faf has to go, he is a liability at this stage. Even Markram could score more runs at this point.
SA are lucky to have a player of Markrams talent.
Jannaman Malan, Markram, De Kock and (can’t believe I’m having to eat humble pie here but) Temba Bavuma is a spicy top order if they all click, in LOI’s. Then throw in Breetzke in a a year perhaps and then filter in Klassan as often as possible. The talent is indisputably there, the brains in the selection room isn’t

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

SA had that team in 2015 that should have wont the WC and they didn't really have a plan after. The plan was probably quotas and that's never ever been a good plan. It was the reason they lost that cup.

Since then, they just seem to have no idea and everyone is pulling in different directions. Even this talk of AB coming back is not ideal. He's a great player, but what purpose will it serve for SA long term. If he does not perform, then they are just holding back a youngster and the process of fixing things gets delayed even further.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Heinrich Klaassen played a great innings today. Also good to see David Miller scoring some runs, he has a lot of talent but has never really fulfilled his potential.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Klassen is a real tough cookie, a guy with real grit.

Verreynne looked good for his 48.
Malan Jnr had a stinker, good ball up front.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I think the SA selectors have seen my posts about including Verryene and Malan 😁😁

eugene

Post by eugene »

I hope J Malan gets another shot. I remember the great Western Province opener Andrew Puttick got bowled for a duck by Shane Bond in his first ODI in 2005 and never got another shot at international cricket again.

http://www.clubcricket.co.za/latestnews ... e-proteas/

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

A guy like Malan who averages 50 in list A cricket will be fine.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:41 am
A guy like Malan who averages 50 in list A cricket will be fine.
Sloan I read you don’t rate ngidi? He has taken wickets against Australia in the last couple of ODIs. Luck or good bowling?