Cheating Australians

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Cheating Australians

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I think 12 month bans (and 9 for Bancroft) is an appropriate suspension.

It's not about the actual ball tampering (to anyone who says it's on par with match fixing, it's not - these idiots took actions to try and unfair win a game, whereas match fixers try and lose for money). It's about the Australian sense of fair play.

Australians hold their sporting teams in such high regard. We play hard, but we also play fair.

Smith and co. went too far. It's not about the actual sandpapering, it's about the outrage from the Australian public that went all the way to the prime minister.

Warner will never play again. Bancroft was a fringe member of the team, unestablished - there's probably too much baggage for him to play again (selectors won't consider him worth the effort).

Smith may return due to his batting average - the real question is will he be mentally up-to-it. That press conference he gave yesterday has given years of ammunition to every opposition player in the world. I'm not sure if he'll have the strength of character to work through all that.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I don;t think it will break his brain too much. There is a way back with genuine repentance. He appeared properly sorry and not just putting it on. There is heaps of ammo BRMT, for sure, but you can defuse that with runs and a 'yep. you're right.' Agreeing with the sledge takes most of the sting out of itm I think.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Warner is only 31, he can come back, and has the record to demand that. Smith will be back for sure. Tremendous player. I don't think him crying at the press conference will affect him at all when he comes back and gets sledged. Are men not supposed to cry ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 am
The only thing I called you out on FF was claiming Australian fans were delusional, and reading your first paragraph to me that’s what you were indicating am I wrong?

Another thing when I say “certain people here on the forum” that doesn’t mean everybody so I’m not “generalising” the entire forum. I noticed you and Sloan want Garry Brent as coach but there are people on the forum who just like sitting back after the fact and complain about all the things we did wrong without throwing up solutions.

I’ll start naming names now so not to offend the entire forum if you wish ?
It's all right, jaybro :) . I think what rubbed me off the wrong way was that you replied directly to my post (and I grant you the point) and so I had to assume you were still talking to me in the later, and longer part of your post.

There's one last thing I'd like to say on this subject, and that is that despite what I said above, and despite the fact that I have a different opinion of what "fairness" in cricket, and sport in general, is about, I have, on a different level, great respect for the reaction in Australia. It might sound like a contradiction, but to me this whole affair is a fascinating study in national psychology and so complex that, tbh, I struggle to put all my thoughts on the subject into cohesive English phrases ;)

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:06 am
I have, on a different level, great respect for the reaction in Australia. It might sound like a contradiction, but to me this whole affair is a fascinating study in national psychology
+1.

Also, I felt that Smith has realized the gravity of this after landing back home. That press meet looked very genuine and gut wrenching. He will come back a stronger human being and a player I'm sure. He now knows how easily he could have averted this and that fact is probably hurting him.

I can't say the same about Warner though. He's probably done.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

No harm done FF we’re still friends 🤗🤗🤗
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:11 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:06 am
I have, on a different level, great respect for the reaction in Australia. It might sound like a contradiction, but to me this whole affair is a fascinating study in national psychology
+1.

Also, I felt that Smith has realized the gravity of this after landing back home. That press meet looked very genuine and gut wrenching. He will come back a stronger human being and a player I'm sure. He now knows how easily he could have averted this and that fact is probably hurting him.

I can't say the same about Warner though. He's probably done.
Warner has his chance today 11:00am AEST he holds a press conference
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Warner is only 31, why is it so unlikely he'll ever play for Australia again? An average of 48 and a strike rate of 74 are surely irreplaceable even for a team like Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:26 am
Warner is only 31, why is it so unlikely he'll ever play for Australia again? An average of 48 and a strike rate of 74 are surely irreplaceable even for a team like Australia.
I think I remember reading that his relationship with the board isn't great. Also, if Australia are seeking a "new identity" then Warner probably doesn't fit in with what they're going for.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:24 pm
No harm done FF we’re still friends 🤗🤗🤗
Where do you get all those smilies from :?