2018 Asia Cup (in UAE)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: 2018 Asia Cup (in UAE)

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm
Hong Kong on the verge of causing an upset against India!
So close!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Seriously if Hong Kong can run India this close there is no reason for Zimbabwe not to do well against the big boys. They've got to believe.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 am
Seriously if Hong Kong can run India this close there is no reason for Zimbabwe not to do well against the big boys. They've got to believe.
India were missing quite a few key players. But yeah HK really outdid themselves to get this close. Especially after being rolled by Pakistan a couple days earlier.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

So India hammer Pakistan and Afghanistan hammer Bangladesh!!!!

Afghanistan just keep getting bigger & better !!!!

I doubt we will ever win a series against them now
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:21 pm
So India hammer Pakistan and Afghanistan hammer Bangladesh!!!!

Afghanistan just keep getting bigger & better !!!!

I doubt we will ever win a series against them now
Afghanistan are competing and doing it without playing at home. They are definitely a quality side. That being said, they are prone to losing to the likes of PNG or Nepal.

As for BD, there are serious concerns about the lack of young players stepping up. I only realized it recently, but because Tamim-Mushy-Shakib-RIyad have been so consistently good over the past several years (Tamim and Mushy are genuinely world class batsmen and Shakib is a world class all rounder), that the young players haven't gotten many chances. And then when they do like today, they are undercooked and overawed as Nazmul and Mosaddek proved today.

Things wouldn't have been as bad if the BCB had arranged quality A team tours for these young players, but they have next to no exposure to anything apart from BD's domestic scene (which is albeit healthy in terms of the number of matches played per season).

I hope the return of Mushy and Fizz allows us to beat Afghanistan in the coming days but now I'm not so sure.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Afghans are scary good these days

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

They almost defeated Pakistan as well! The lack of quality fast bowlers seems to be hurting them. Aftab Alam and Gulbadin Naib went for a lot of runs yesterday. They have Wafadar Momand in their squad who can consistently bowl in the late 130s and hit early 140s on occasion, but he's not ready for international cricket yet.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Afghans are mighty impressive and they continue to impress day after day.

In a way it is good that teams like Scotland and Zimbabwe had beaten Afghanistan during WCQ, Scotland have again shown that against England that they are no pushovers anymore. All this means there is life outside of top 8 and once again reiterates the point that the ICC are terribly wrong in reducing the WC to 10 teams. If ever there was a time to increase the teams in a WC, it was now.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:53 am
They almost defeated Pakistan as well! The lack of quality fast bowlers seems to be hurting them. Aftab Alam and Gulbadin Naib went for a lot of runs yesterday. They have Wafadar Momand in their squad who can consistently bowl in the late 130s and hit early 140s on occasion, but he's not ready for international cricket yet.
Gulbadin is clocking up to 138...which shocked me. Yes he's jacked, but I thought he was a 125 k trundler.

AFG are doing all this without their best fast bowler, Dawlat. Hats off to them. I really think they are favorites going against BD today, and would probably be favorites even if both teams had fully fit squads.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Missed the games today.

Afghanistan continue their reputation as the next Bangladesh (dangerous side that all too often suffers incredible heartbreaks in the final over of games). 2nd game in a row the Afghans lost a game they dominated for 90+ overs.

BD vs PAK is now a virtual semifinal for who gets to take on India.