Pat Cummins

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Post Reply
sloandog
Posts: 6931
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos
Location: Manchester UK

Pat Cummins

Post by sloandog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 am

To me he's lost pace. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but when he burst onto the scene in 2011 against South Africa, aged just 18, he was bowling absolute rockets. Seriously fast, like 95mph stuff. Now he's averaging 85mph.
Adam Milne from NZ is another case in point. He also came on the scene as an 18 year old and bowled a 154kph thunderbolt to Ahmed Shazad, and now he really has to strain to get anywhere near that.
Why's this the case? Surely as they get stronger they should have been able to bowl a lot faster.
When in doubt, listen to Oasis chaps....

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Pat Cummins

Post by Kriterion_BD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm

sloandog wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 am
To me he's lost pace. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but when he burst onto the scene in 2011 against South Africa, aged just 18, he was bowling absolute rockets. Seriously fast, like 95mph stuff. Now he's averaging 85mph.
Adam Milne from NZ is another case in point. He also came on the scene as an 18 year old and bowled a 154kph thunderbolt to Ahmed Shazad, and now he really has to strain to get anywhere near that.
Why's this the case? Surely as they get stronger they should have been able to bowl a lot faster.
95 mph is pretty much the top speed humanly possible. When anyone does that, let alone an 18 yo, they are putting tremendous strain on their bodies and a couple of injuries later they aren't there. It also indicates that as fast as these guys are, it isn't there "natural" pace in the sense that they were always bending their backs. Compare with Brett Lee. That guy was bowling 150 at age 35 because it came naturally to him.

But you expect these guys to bowl 150 every game? Even Shoaib didn't bowl every ball at 155 or even 90 mph. He had plenty of deliveries in the low 140s.

This thread seems like those threads on Pakistani forums about some 12 yo from some village in Punjab who is bowling 115 kph and they think at age 24 he should double his pace to 230 km, lmao.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Pat Cummins

Post by jaybro » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 am

I don't think Cummins was ever "Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar fast' he was quick but not that quick, he
s also had about 3 or 4 back injuries since he was 18.
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Pat Cummins

Post by Kriterion_BD » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:23 am

jaybro wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 am
I don't think Cummins was ever "Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar fast' he was quick but not that quick, he
s also had about 3 or 4 back injuries since he was 18.
No he wasn't. But Cummins was still an express quick. In fact as recently as a year ago he was clocking high 140s and hitting 150, IIRC. Thats plenty of pace.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

sloandog
Posts: 6931
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Pat Cummins

Post by sloandog » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 am

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:23 am
jaybro wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 am
I don't think Cummins was ever "Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar fast' he was quick but not that quick, he
s also had about 3 or 4 back injuries since he was 18.
No he wasn't. But Cummins was still an express quick. In fact as recently as a year ago he was clocking high 140s and hitting 150, IIRC. Thats plenty of pace.
Now he's high 130's with the odd ball into the 140's. Real shame.
Oshane Thomas is the new kid on the block. Lets hope we can really kick on and utilize that natural pace and bounce he ca extract
When in doubt, listen to Oasis chaps....

User avatar
Andybligzz
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Pat Cummins

Post by Andybligzz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Pat Cummins can rev it up to 145-147 when it’s his day and he’s pissed off ( rarely ) as he’s a genuine awesome chilled bloke . Since all his injuries yes he has lost pace and he had to remodel his action , otherwise the cricketing world would not get to see him . I still think he bowls best with the new ball , like he did in India . He’s a freak talent and if he stays injury free he will have a amazing career , especially in test cricket .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Pat Cummins

Post by Kriterion_BD » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:27 pm

sloandog wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:23 am
jaybro wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 am
I don't think Cummins was ever "Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar fast' he was quick but not that quick, he
s also had about 3 or 4 back injuries since he was 18.
No he wasn't. But Cummins was still an express quick. In fact as recently as a year ago he was clocking high 140s and hitting 150, IIRC. Thats plenty of pace.
Now he's high 130's with the odd ball into the 140's. Real shame.
Oshane Thomas is the new kid on the block. Lets hope we can really kick on and utilize that natural pace and bounce he ca extract
I think it’s a disservice to fast bowling when we downplay guys who consistently bowl around 140. I am HIGHLY skeptical of reports and fangirls claiming Thommo bowled 175 or that Shoaib averaged 150 every game. Shoaib prolly didn’t even average 150 over a spell longer than 5 overs.

145-150 is plenty of pace if you have swing and or accuracy.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests