Non-Asian sides in Asia: why the sudden success???

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Non-Asian sides in Asia: why the sudden success???

Post by Kriterion_BD »

First Zimbabwe beat Bangladesh, then England won a freakin series in Sri Lanka, and New Zealand are in a relatively comfortable position in the UAE. How did non-Asian teams suddenly start competing in Asia???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Non-Asian sides in Asia: why the sudden success???

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:57 am
First Zimbabwe beat Bangladesh, then England won a freakin series in Sri Lanka, and New Zealand are in a relatively comfortable position in the UAE. How did non-Asian teams suddenly start competing in Asia???
I think it's a bit early to say the NAS (Non-Asian Sides) are all of a sudden 'competitive' in Asia from these results, but it's a nice surprise to see the results as these sides have really struggled in recent times.

For me the toss is so important in the sub-continent more so than in the Southern Hemisphere countries and England, the pitches are designed to break up and spin so much on days 4 and 5 so it makes it so much harder to win batting 2nd, this was the obvious reason why Zimbabwe beat Bangladesh not taking anything away from the boys but they got the better of the conditions early and took advantage of it, same could be said for the 2nd Test as well.

Looking at England although it pains me to say they've really got a good side at the moment despite the fact it looks more like an ODI side with Stokes batting 3 and up to 4 guys who can be classed as allrounders along with the 3 wicket keepers in the squad. I still think they need to find a proper No.3 and with all these 'counter attacking' batsman they could get found out every now and then, but they've got so many options bowling wise at the moment which you need in Asia.

Looking at the side they bought out in the 2nd Test they bat down to 9 but still have 3 spinners (who can all bat) plus Joe Root. They also have 3 seamers (2 can bat) which gives them the 6 front line bowling options !!!! They also have a number of guys who weren't in that XI who are gun players like Broad, Woakes & Bairstow.

Obviously there are still a few question marks over their top 3, Burns and Jennings have done ok but the jury is still out on them plus as I mentioned they don't have a No.3 but I think the flexibility they have from having so many allrounders makes them dangerous anywhere in the world.

I think the fact the ICC has started punishing the likes of India & Bangladesh for doctoring pitches has also helped
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Here's my opinion.

I don't think Pakistan and Sri Lanka have really replaced the players of the early 2000's, the players that really made them invincible in their own back yard.

This is definitely more the case with Sri Lanka. Murali, Sangakara, Jayawarneda, Dilshan, Attapatu, De Silva, Vaas, Samaraweera all came from the same generation and made Sri Lanka great. They have some talent in their squads right now but there's no stand out quality, apart from Angelo Matthews. I'll conceded that they've found three genuine 90mph bowlers in Kumara, Chameera and Rajitha, with Lakmal being an excellent test bowler, but they're raw and wild.

Pakistan are in a similar position in the sense that they have a crop of stupidly exciting players right now, but lack the experience. The retirements of Misbah and Younis Khan dented their batting, perhaps why Haffeez was recalled. Pakistan are in a better position that Sri Lanka right now in terms of filling the void of past players, but they aren't the side of the late 90's and early 2000's. Wasim, Waqar, Sami, Akhtar, Zaid, Saqlain, Mushy, Mohammed Akram, Arshad Khan (what a talented spinner this guy was), Inzamam, Younis, Mohammed Yousuf, Saeen Anwar....the list is endless.

I think right now two subcontinental sides are in a state of transition, while Bangladesh are still doing their best to become a half decent test side.

India are just shit hot

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Anyone saw NZL beating Pakistan by 4 runs today? That was plain ridiculous, 29 runs needed 6 wickets in hand and Pak still lost by 4 runs!!!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm
Anyone saw NZL beating Pakistan by 4 runs today? That was plain ridiculous, 29 runs needed 6 wickets in hand and Pak still lost by 4 runs!!!
Bangladesh style epic choke job! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The last wicket...had it been given not out, PAK might have won!

The beauty of umpire's call!!!

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:46 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm
Bangladesh style epic choke job! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your team would have won it from that stage for sure mate!! :lol

Being a kid of the 90s and a die hard fan of Wasim Akram, I do feel sad for Pakistan. From the days of Inzamam, Saeed Anwar (how he tortured us with his batting), MoYo, Younus, Salim Malik, Miandad ... To this day when they can barely produce a half decent batsman.. sad.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yes fellas I tuned in for the last session yesterday just to watch Babar Azam bat but ended up staying up and getting treated to a great finish!!!!

Typical New Zealand never say die attitude and typical Pakistan brain explosion !!!!

Great result for the Black Caps and credit to them for never giving up but really the truth of it was that Pakistan threw it away, the run-out of Babar was unnecessary then the shots that followed by Bilal & Hasan Ali were dreadful, poor old Micky Arthur was beside himself.

Great result though and adds some interest to a series I dare say not many people were interested in.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Mickey Arthur is so expressive :lol: He's all over the place when he's in the changing rooms

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 am
Mickey Arthur is so expressive :lol: He's all over the place when he's in the changing rooms
I felt bad for Micky & Grant when the collapse was happening