The West Indies World Cup Side

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

The West Indies World Cup Side

Post by sloandog »

So there's been a lot of speculation over the past 5 weeks or so regarding the West Indies. Are they going to click, are they going to flop at the CWC 19?
So lets discuss. Name your best, current, most appropriate one day side for the tournament.

1. Chris Gayle
2. Evin Lewis
3. Shai Hope
4. Darren Bravo
5. Nicholas Pooran
6. Shimron Hetmyr
7. Kieron Pollard
8. Jason Holder
9. Keemo Paul
10. Kemar Roach
11. Oshane Thomas/Alzarri Joseph

12th man: Roston Chase

13. Devendra Bishoo
14. Marlon Samuels
15. Carlos Brathwaite

In that line up, you have a fantastic amalgamation of blunt force trauma up top in Gayle and Lewis (Gayle more hit and miss now days, but still has that destructive innings which can totally flatten a game). Hope is the best batter in the West Indies right now, there's no doubt about that, and then Darren Bravo can act as the anchor. Pooran and Hetmyr provide that 5th gear needed in the middle to latter overs, and then Pollard, Holder and Paul act as adequate back up. There's pace in the bowling and options throughout, although a spinner would perhaps come in depending on the wicket.

jaybro

Re: The West Indies World Cup Side

Post by jaybro »

Is everyone available ??

If so this is me

Gayle
Lewis
Bravo
Hope
Hetmyer
Pollard
Holder
Russell
Narine
Roach
Thomas

Samuels
Bishoo
Joseph
Powell
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Shit I forgot about Russell; Narine I think is massively overrated.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:04 pm
Shit I forgot about Russell; Narine I think is massively overrated.
Narine is actually their most effective ODI bowler in recent times, lol. His problem is that he's ignored due to issues with his bowling action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

He's not even played an ODI for 26 months, and made himself unavailable for both the India tour and the Qualifiers. He has impressive stats in ODI cricket but he's not been the same bowler since he had to change and remodel his action.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:07 pm
He's not even played an ODI for 26 months, and made himself unavailable for both the India tour and the Qualifiers. He has impressive stats in ODI cricket but he's not been the same bowler since he had to change and remodel his action.
Statistically he was a beast, key word was. He's the caribbean Ajantha Mendis.

And I'd have Joseph in the XI ahead of Russell. Russell is just a bits and pieces all rounder his bowling is not good enough to make an impact and his batting is just like Kieron Pollards, one dimensional big hitting only. God forbid he has to come in before the 40th over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'd love to see an Oshane Thomas/Alzarri Joseph opening combination on a spicy green english deck. Yikes! That would be a nasty opening spell

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Great to the Windies pick 4 seamers and rip through England for 77 !!!! Is there a better sight in the game than a Windies pace attack ripping through a side??

Holder what a star !!!! 220*

18 wickets in Day 2 then zero wickets on Day 3 😳😳😳 it’s anfunny game sometimes
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Bring on England!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've only just come to terms with what these lads have achieved here in beating England. This is some serious undertaking of the West Indies.
All the lads I mentioned at the top of this thread are gelling and winning games (test matches!) for their country. 2-0...who'd have thought that?!
The arrogance of England is blatantly obvious - I support England but I've been barracking for the Windies in this series.

Every single player in the side has put up their hand, every single one of them.
Jason Holder is just a fantastic leader. Clearly commands respect and his batting and bowling in this series has been exceptional.

And can we all just appreciate something....how fantastic has it been, seeing Holder, Joseph, Roach and Gabrielle rip through England! You have the pace and aggression of Joseph and big Shannon (both breaking the 90mph barrier) and then the test quality and control of Roach and Holder.

Honestly I haven't stopped smiling. England are a fantastic side, and they have a ridiculous plethora of talent in their wings, but equally so do the men from the Caribean. The world needs a strong West Indies test side, and i dearly hope they're moving towards that. They unequivocally have the talent, more so than previous sides of the past 20 years. Harness it, and blow the English away!

I also hear Oshane Thomas is lining up for a test debut....jesus, all he best lads