Will Pucovski

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Will Pucovski

Post by jaybro »

Australia has made a huge selection call by picking 20 year old Victorian Batsman Will Pucovski for their Test squad v Sri Lanka, a few of the interesting points of his selection

20 years old

Only 8 First Class Matches

Only 2 First class Hundreds

1st Australian to score 200 before his 21st birthday since Ricky Ponting

Has missed lots of cricket due to 2 or 3 concussions

Has also missed recent matches after suffering from Mental Health issues

It’s very unusual to see Australia make a selection like this, they’ve very much gone for safer options with players who have made lots of first class runs.

It’s also a big call to throw him in now with there only being 2 tests for Australia to play before the biggest stage of all the Ashes.

No doubting he’s a talented young player but I’m concerned about throwing a 20 year old with mental health issues into the fire that is test cricket, yes a home series against a modest Sri Lankan outfit does seem like a good time to blood such a player, but with the Ashes up next surely anyone playing in this series has 1 foot on the plane to England? This Ashes series will be a very hostile one for the Australians, and it will likely be a tough one, from listening to him about his issues I’m concerned how he will handle it.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Re: Will Pucovski

Post by sloandog »

I hope the bloke goes well. Indeed it'll be pretty damn tough but I reckon he's got the metal...they wouldn't thrust him in there

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

2 tons from 8 games isn't terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:15 am
2 tons from 8 games isn't terrible.
Didn’t say that at all, he’s had a very good start to his career and looks a great prospect.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 pm
I hope the bloke goes well. Indeed it'll be pretty damn tough but I reckon he's got the metal...they wouldn't thrust him in there
You’d think they’ve done their research and he’s be assessed and that they feel he will be able to handle the pressures of test cricket. But I’m still concerned about him handling a long hostile tour of England.

IMO they’re sending a vaunerable kid to the wolves because they’re panicking and because the cupboard is bare, hopefully I’m wrong but I’m worried if they take him to England it will do more harm than good.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:37 am
sloandog wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 pm
You’d think they’ve done their research and he’s be assessed and that they feel he will be able to handle the pressures of test cricket. But I’m still concerned about him handling a long hostile tour of England.

IMO they’re sending a vaunerable kid to the wolves because they’re panicking and because the cupboard is bare, hopefully I’m wrong but I’m worried if they take him to England it will do more harm than good.
The more I think about this, the more I tend to agree with you. Anderson and Broad in english conditions are still lethal after all these years, and then you've got the new kid on the blockin Sam Curran who's swing can be devestating.
I know the assuies has been a right set of arrogant bastards over the years but i loved them for it, and loved watching the winter series in the middle of the night when Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Hussey, Gilchrist, Lehamn even were playing. If they need to pick young, hungry lads who want to feel the fire and sink their teeth into the Aussie culture of cricket, then pick them; hoepfully it'll pay off.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The good times aren’t too far away for the Aussies once Smith & Warner come back they’ll lift the side a lot. There are also a few real good players coming through the system that look to be great players for the future

Here’s ‘tomorrow’s’ Aussie XI

Josh Phillipe: Western Australian Batsman only 21 years old, modest numbers so far but he has all the shots and recently took down the much vaunted South African pace attack on a bouncy WACA deck. Currently keeping wicket for the Sydney Sixers in the BBL take the chance to watch him if you can, he looks like Steve Smith & bats like him as well, I think he’ll end up a middle order player.

Max Bryant: Big hitting Queenslander only 20 years old he’s shot to fame in the BBL with his clean striking he’s managed to break up the ‘Bash Brothers’ Chris Lynn & Brendan McCullum opening partnership. Will need to refine his game for the longer formats, but not many players his age hit the ball so sweetly.

Jason Sangha: Anointed the next ‘Ricky Ponting’ Sangha looks to be the best of a very exciting young batch of Aussie batsman to hit the scene after becoming the the youngest player since the great Sachin Tendulkar to score a 1st Class Hundred against England. Captained the under 19’s side last year & is also a great 1st slip fieldsman it won’t be long till he’s pushing for higher honours.

Will Pucovski: Fast tracked into the national side after just the 8 1st class games he’s clearly a prodigious talent, concerns after his well documented mental health issues but the selectors think he’s ready for test cricket. Youngest player since Ricky Ponting to score a Sheffield Shield double hundred tells you how special he is and how talented, he was also a very talented Aussie rules player but chose cricket in the end.

Mackenzie Harvey: The youngest of the batting order but my personal favourite young Mackenzie Harvey is just 18 years old, a talented and stylish left hander also has great bloodlines being the nephew of former Australian all rounder Ian ‘the freak’ Harvey. Hasn’t been able to break into a very strong Victorian state side he’s shown his worth opening the batting for the Melbourne Renegades in the BBL.

Jack Edwards: Very talented but very raw Jack Edwards has fans and selectors excited with his range of shots and power he’s already hit a List A & 1st Class hundred this season at just 18 years old. Have my concerns how he will progress as he isn’t the most technical player going around, but his hitting power is irresistible, also a decent medium quick bowler & killer head of long curly blonde hair.

Harry Neilson: Son of former Australian coach Tim Nielsen young Harry is a dashing left handed wicket keeper batsman in a similar mould to current South Australian keeper Alex Carey. With Carey next in line to become the full time Australian keeper Nielsen will have time to hone his skills domestically before taking over from Carey at the perfect age.

Will Sutherland: Another promising player with a famous father, Will is the son of former CA CEO James Sutherland. Will is a very promising fast bowler very typical of Australian quicks who relies on pace and bounce more so than swing or seam. Currently unable to bowl due to a back injury he’s showing his skills with the bat scoring a ton v Sri Lanka in the Under 19’s.

Cameron Green: Much like Sutherland young Western Australian allrounder Cameron Green is a tall quick who can wield a bat also. With the depth in quick bowlers in the West it shows how highly regarded Green is that he’s already broken into the State side, can move the ball as well and is seen as a future leader.

Jhye Richardson: Already made his ODI debut and picked for the tour of South Africa young Jhye Richardson is probably the most exciting young quick running around in Australia at the moment. Another fast and furious one from the West he generates great pace without being particularly tall, has a vicious bouncer which has already claimed a few victims. I thought he might be unleashed on the Sri Lankans this summer.

Lloyd Pope: Maybe the most exciting prospect of them all? Young red headed leg spinner Pope shot to fame not only because of his eye catching hair but his heroics against England in the under 19 World Cup where he single handedly put Australia into the final after taking 8/35 against England to help defend a very modest total. He’s also hit the 1st class scene with a bang taking 7/87 for South Australia in only his 2nd game, at 19 he’s still very raw but in time he could become Australia’s next top leg spinner.

Other notable players Tasmanian quick Rielly Meredith bowls quick away swingers, Zac Evans is a strong young quick, Jake Doran is a good player although he’s still finding his feet, Baxter Holt exciting young keeper, left handed NSW opener Sam Fanning and young Tasmanian batsman Keegan Oates.

So I’d say to Eugene and the other ‘Aussie haters’ enjoy it while it lasts because the Aussies will be back bigger than ever very soon.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I have my reservations about this bloke.
With ‘mental issues’ he’s going to be part of this depression Brigade or do some crazy stuff or have a drug incident. There will be controversy and a lot of people feel sorry for him, but i fear it will be some circus st some point.

We need mental warriors. People that knuckle down in adversity and know life is tough and batting against the net of the best is tough.
I could well be wrong but it is my prediction it’ll play out this way.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What about Austin Waugh, Jaybro?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:44 am
I have my reservations about this bloke.
With ‘mental issues’ he’s going to be part of this depression Brigade or do some crazy stuff or have a drug incident. There will be controversy and a lot of people feel sorry for him, but i fear it will be some circus st some point.

We need mental warriors. People that knuckle down in adversity and know life is tough and batting against the net of the best is tough.
I could well be wrong but it is my prediction it’ll play out this way.
I have my concerns also about throwing him into Test cricket with his recent battles with mental health. A home series v Sri Lanka would seem the perfect time to blood him, but with the next Test series being an away Ashes series I'd be worried about how he would handle it.

Hopefully CA have done their due diligence and he will be ok