Will Pucovski

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Will Pucovski

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 am
What about Austin Waugh, Jaybro?
Can't say I've too much of young Austin but I know he bats and bowls a bit, only played the 1 game at the Under 19's WC against India where he looked to have a nice technique but got out early. Obviously he's one we're all keeping our eyes on and would love to see the name Waugh back in the Australian Test Side.

NSW have shown recently they're happy to give the young guys a chance with Sangha & Edwards both playing every Sheffield Shield game so far this season, so hopefully we will see more of Austin in the next year or so.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Will Pucovski has been overlooked for the 1st Test XI to play Sri Lanka, Kurtis Patterson from NSW has been brought into the squad and into the final XI after scoring unbeaten centuries in both innings against Sri Lanka in the warm up game

Probably better off this way IMO, will be good for young Will to finish the Sheffield Shield season and maybe go on an A Tour before playing Test cricket

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Sadly Will Pucovski has once again had to step away from the game due to his battles with mental health, since we last touched on this thread he'd asked to leave the Aussie camp during the 2nd Test v Sri Lanka in Canberra, and now after another promising start to the Sheffield Shield season the CA selectors picked him in the Aus A side to play Pakistan.

During this game young Will has again needed to take time away and ruled himself out of selection for the 1st Test, where he was almost certain to be picked. You can't help but feel CA are pushing him too much and should really just back off and let him play Shield cricket.

I'm obviously not a doctor so my opinion doesn't hold much weight here, but it seems to me every time this kids' name gets mentioned in the media regarding selection it triggers his mental health issues. Listening to former players such as Damien Martyn & Brad Hodge talk about the pressure of being dropped, overlooked or having your name in the papers as the guy under pressure, I just don't see how any of this will help Pucovski.

IMO we should leave the kid in Victoria where he's surrounded by his friends and family where he feels comfortable, yes there is pressure to perform in Sheffield Shield, but the media doesn't scrutinise you as much. Also the idea of this kid being on a long difficult tour in hostile countries like England, India & South Africa also doesn't sound like the right place for Will, again listening to former players they say they can feel very alone and it's almost as if their hotel rooms become jail cells.

Hope he can sort out his issues and have a successful test career, but if it's not meant to be a good career at home for Victoria is still ok.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

He’s talented but too weak. Needs to be discarded.
It’s not going to work. He hasn’t even faced any adversity from a career perspective.

I wonder what his mental issues are.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 pm
It’s not going to work. He hasn’t even faced any adversity from a career perspective.

Seeing as he is not the only one from CA who has pulled out from mental health issues, I would say it's not a him only issue, but rather something bigger.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Seeing as he is not the only one from CA who has pulled out from mental health issues, I would say it's not a him only issue, but rather something bigger.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Agreed.

I hope the guy sorts out his issues, but clearly he's not up to international cricket. What happens if he breaks down on day four of a crucial test match?
Too risky, and as much as CA will say all the right things publicly I reckon behind closed doors they'll be saying the same thing as us.

On a separate note, I do find it a little bit disconcerting that he thinks he can just withdraw from what was looking to be a pretty likely test selection. That rubs me the wrong way a bit, almost like he's saying "I'll play when I'm good and ready - not when you tell me to". Think of the thousands of people who would do anything to represent their country, who would walk through fire to have the opportunities he's had.

Funny how this only seems to happen in western countries too. You don't hear about too many young Indians turning the BCCI down and forgoing the chance to set themselves and their families up for life.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Some of these responses in relation to something such mental health come across as archaic and destructive as opposed to beneficial.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 am
I didn't mean to be callous, I'm not a mental health denier or anything like that. It's absolutely a legitimate issue.

I don't know about this guy, but I think it's fair to say more and more young people use it as a crutch in the absence of real problems (like I said, this seems to be a western phenomenon).

And it's these people - and particularly sportspeople I might add, how many times have AFL players used mental health as a cover for a night out on recreational drugs - which devalue mental health issues for people that legitimately have depression.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

BRM must be a tradie because he keeps hitting the nail on the head.

Firstly, I don’t think he should be discarded NOW, but I think he needs to be given a very short leash from here. 1.5 seasons to sort it out, or discarded.

Sometimes (often) pussyfooting around these issues just exarcerbates and enables this type of mentality. Like a social disease in a way, that’s why it’s a western thing and as you said, pakis and Indians or saffers aren’t doing the same.

Relegating him might be the jumpstart wake up call ‘this is life’ moment he needs.
This might sound so random, but I have been looking at a flight for a few days trying to get a good deal, but today, as soon as flights went up I realised how good it was and I had it yesterday so jumped on the one remaining deal that resembled something from yesterday. Snapped me into gear. Same thing. Psychological effect.

Secondly, and more pointedly,
Cricket especially is a sport that’s completely built on mental toughness. More than any other sport.
Might not be said out loud but ongoing Depression and anxiety that stops you from playing is equivalent to not being highly talented. Otherwise why wasn’t Vusi Sibanda averaging 50?in.
In cricket it is all about mental resilience and copping blow after blow and if he hasn’t got it, I don’t care how good his eye is. He’s not made for it.
If this was the NFL he would have just been cut and discarded, never to be seen again.
Ten big exception to all this is if his issues are related to a specific life problem. A family death, a break up etc I don’t think so though as this has been ongoing over a few years as oppose to months, and as Jaybro said, pops up with selection issues.

Thirdly, and I’m getting personal here for perspective. I had the same shit growing up. I was a talented record breaking athlete but I couldn’t handle the nerves. I would vomit at the thought of competing in public. No matter how calm my head was my body was naseuous. A lot of sports I couldn’t go further because I would be a wreck.
Even now when I go out to bat I’m nauseous but I can control it.
How did I get over it to the point I could compete? I realised I didn’t mean shit. No one gives a fuck. All eyes aren’t solely focused on me, who am I to think my own importance matters at a track and field meet, Rugby rep or cricket match? See point 1. Ripping the band aid off.
But more than anything, I could never dream of being an international cricketer with my lack of starch in sport. I can deliver a speech in front of hundreds but hard to battle this whilst maintaining fitness, endurance, puffing out etc

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.