Australia beginning to peak?

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Australia beginning to peak?

Post by sloandog »

Discuss

Are they starting to peak at the right time, and have they got a chance of a few upsets at the CWC?
They're currently hammering Pakistan in foreign conditions, and then there's the Smith/Warner factor to contend with.

The cricketing world needs a strong Australian and West Indies cricket team; WI have begun to make headway, have the Aussies?

jaybro

Re: Australia beginning to peak?

Post by jaybro »

100% they are !!!

They’ve beaten India in their own backyard without Warner, Smith, Starc & Hazlewood, that’s a good effort. The pain and suffering of getting belted in 2018 is starting to reap rewards with the side now full of options for the World Cup.

They’ve now got so many options with bat & ball I’m thinking they’re specials to make the semis and could possibly win the whole thing.

They have a choice of three really good openers in Finch, Khawaja & Warner

A choice of Handscomb, Shaun Marsh or Smith to bat 3 & 4 to do the accumulating during the middle overs

Then a choice of Maxwell, Stoinis & Turner to add the power hitting at 5 & 6 with Carey to do the keeping.

That batting lineup is as good as any on the World right now and they’re all in good form. The bowling attack is also full of options with Starc & Hazlewood to return with Cummins & Coulter-Nile the likely other two now that Jhye Richardson is injured.

Spin bowling is probably where they’re not as strong as India, England or South Africa, but Zampa is improving. Not so sure about Nathan Lyon as a ODI bowler but it looks as though he will
be in the squad.

Might upset a few here in the forum but the Aussies are back baby !!!!
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'm all for a strong Aussie side.
Cummins and Richardson are special, with Starc and Hazelwood being the obvious leaders.
I'm not too hot on NCT; I think he has something but I would much rather see a Billy Stanlake in the side.
Batting looks good, looks strong and has plenty of options moving forward.
I don't think they'll win the entire tournament, but I do think they'll push for a semi final spot.
I'm still backing an India England final - they're just too powerful in ever single department right now

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Australia have announced their 15 Man squad

Finch
Warner
Khawaja

Smith
Shaun Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey

Zampa
Lyon

Starc
Coulter-Nile
Cummins
Jhye Richardson
Berendorff

Handscomb, Hazlewood & Turner are the unlucky ones to miss out, still a question mark on Jhye so Hazlewood could still play some part.

The big question now is whether or not to play Khawaja @3 or Shaun Marsh, Khawaja has been dominant opening the innings but not so much batting first drop, Shaun Marsh has scored five centuries (I think) in the last 12 months, although they all came in losing causes.

Overall it’s a really good side and I think they’re a good chance to defend their title

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I just think there's more enterprising bowlers than Bahrendorff; he's an 83mph left armer. Get Stanlake in there! I know who I would much rather be facing

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Aussies look pretty good. IMO, either of England, India, or Australia will be the champs. SA and NZ would have outside chances, but SA are known chokers and they are too weak against even mediocre spin. NZ just lack the pedigree to go much beyond the semifinals, despite them having one of most well balanced sides in the entire tournament. India lost some points IMO by leaving out Rishab Pant. Also just realized they didn't pick Prithvi Shaw either. They really went with experience over youth.

I actually think spin will play a decent role in this tournament given that climate change means England isn't as seam and swing friendly as in years past. If the weather is as hot as it was last summer...pitches will dry out and with such a long tournament, there might be some wear and tear especially in the latter half the group stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:19 am
I just think there's more enterprising bowlers than Bahrendorff; he's an 83mph left armer. Get Stanlake in there! I know who I would much rather be facing
Can't agree mate, Berendorff might not look the part but he's a much better bowler than Billy right now.

For a Queenslander Billy is soft as butter, needs to harden up a bit