Sussex return to business

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Sussex return to business

Post by maehara »

How long has Goodwin been playing for Sussex now? As I understand it, 5 years' residence in the UK qualifies you for British citizenship by naturalisation (or 3 if you're already married to a British citizen) - I'd have though he would have met that requirement by now, in which case claiming citizenship should solve the problem. Could be issues if he's been playing out of the country for more than six months at any one time, though.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:How long has Goodwin been playing for Sussex now? As I understand it, 5 years' residence in the UK qualifies you for British citizenship by naturalisation (or 3 if you're already married to a British citizen) - I'd have though he would have met that requirement by now, in which case claiming citizenship should solve the problem. Could be issues if he's been playing out of the country for more than six months at any one time, though.
He played for Western Australia for a long time.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Murray first played for Sussex in 2001.

Sadly, he spends less time resident in England than outside as he is based in Australia during the winter and now, of course, his visits to India for ICL matches.

His wife is actually Australian, so that cuts out that little loophole as well.

As i said before, i have no idea exactly what he is classified as now, presumably still Zimbabwean with Australian citizenship through his wife.

Confusing or what .......

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Train Driver wrote:As i said before, i have no idea exactly what he is classified as now, presumably still Zimbabwean with Australian citizenship through his wife.
Probably shouldn't mention that it's illegal for a Zimbabwean to hold dual citizenship (as the law stands at the moment, you can't claim Zimbabwean citizenship unless you have proof that you've legally renounced any other entitlements). I suspect there's a certain amount of fingers in the ears & la-la-la'ing going on when it comes to Murray's nationality... :)

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Good afternoon everyone, not had a lot of chances to follow Zim too closely recently but i have been keeping up with the results in Bangladesh.

It's really good to see that the bowling is continuing to progress, if only Mupariwa had been able to keep up his form for this series now that Rainsford is back .....

As for the batting :? , i'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, it must get better, they can't all stay out of touch like this, surely.

I thought that some of you may be interested in this link

http://www.muzza.vokins@home.co.uk/contact-us/

The great man certainly deserves this benefit year for what he has done here for Sussex, we are all hoping for a sunny summer for him, especially for the game against Australia in june.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Sorry guys, i'm not sure what i've done wrong with the link.

If you put 'muzza 335' in google you will get the benefit site.

:oops: