Ervine axed

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Ervine axed

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/austral ... 48166.html

He still has his Hampshire contract, so he's probably not overly worried. Ervine struggled to get a game for WA's first class matches, although he was a regular in the one-dayers and Twenty20's. If I recall - he was miked up for one of the Twenty20 games - he has a bit of an injury during the 2007-08 season too.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Ervine axed

Post by Train Driver »

He played for Hampshire in the Friends Provident 50 over competition yesterday against Somerset.

Looks like he batted fairly well with a 36 ball 55* containing 2 sixes and 4 fours, his bowling was a disaster though with figures of 10-0-88-1, Greg Lamb took 9-0-47-4.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Sean is not having a very good season so far.

After having been selected for only one of the 3 Hampshire Championship matches so far he managed just 16 with the bat in his only innings and a total of 1-137 from 24 overs. In the Friends Provident 50 over games he has played in all 4, scoring 85 @ 28.33 with the 55* from the 1st game but has the rather sad looking bowling figures of 26-0-206-3 with an economy rate of 7.92.

After being very much a 2nd XI player Greg Lamb has been given a run by Hampshire this season.

Greg has played all 3 Championship games and has so far managed 38 @ 12.66 with a highest of 26* and 4 @ 63.75 with the ball. In the Friends Provident he has again been a permanent fixture and has 107 @ 53.50 with a top score of 84. His bowling figures are 28.3-0-190-5 with that 4-47 in the opening game.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Now that WA have axed him, if Hampshire were to follow suit, I'd say a return to Zimbabwe might be on the cards (election results playing a part I expect). I doubt Sean Ervine, a bloke who has made an ODI century, would settle for playing club cricket in England.

BABAR SHAH

Post by BABAR SHAH »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:http://content-www.cricinfo.com/austral ... 48166.html

He still has his Hampshire contract, so he's probably not overly worried. Ervine struggled to get a game for WA's first class matches, although he was a regular in the one-dayers and Twenty20's. If I recall - he was miked up for one of the Twenty20 games - he has a bit of an injury during the 2007-08 season too.
well zimbabwe cricket has the last say in these guys back in the fold so the time will tell but hapefull the election result will do so good things for these players. :D

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

I managed to spend a couple of days at Arundel watching the Sussex v Hampshire county championship match.

Sean had a pretty average match taking 1-64 and scoring 17 & 14 batting at no 5 in the Sussex 10 wicket win. I'm not sure whether it's his character or whether the Warne era Hampshire ethos has affected him, but he was not giving off very happy vibes. The Hampshire side are pro's i know and are currently bottom of division 1, but their general attitude sucks, they question every decision, argue every catch and have tantrums when given out, about the only player that seems to have any spirit is John Crawley. It just shows that somebody like Rod Bransgrove and his money can't just make a winning side.

Greg Lamb ended 54* in the 1st innings after 2 hours at the wicket and gave his wicket away for 19, after an hours graft, with a dreadful shot just before the close of the 3rd days play in the 2nd innings. With the ball he was clouted for 46 from 5 overs. Greg looks like a trier but did not show anything to suggest why he has a place in a county 1st XI.

The other Zimbabwean on show was the sublime Murray Goodwin. Murray scored 184 from 336 balls and rescued Sussex from big trouble after they had gone from 24-0 to 25-4 on the 1st morning, he took Carl Hopkinson under his wing and saw him through to his maiden 1st class 100 in a partnership of 194 and then added another 102 with Robin Martin-Jenkins and finally 74 with Corey Collymore for the 9th wicket. Colleymore is a complete non batsman who has put in a lot of time in the nets since he joined us this year, he is now able to hold his end up and hung around with Murray for 72 minutes equalling his career highest 20. It shows that any bowler, however bad a bat, can put some effort in and at least be able to hang around if there is a batsman at the other end. Murray, once again, talked to him regularly and gave him the confidence to stay out there.

In the championship so far Sean now has 253 runs @ 23.00 with 2x50s and 9 wickets @ 46.88 from 6 games, Greg has 272 @ 20.92 with 1x50 and 8 wickets @ 71.37 from 9 games. Murray, meanwhile, has 729 @ 56.07 with 3x100's and 3x50's.

I look forward to seeing the superb Murray in action again shortly in the next championship match, for Sean and Greg there is a lot of very hard slog ahead of them, unless Hampshire find some spirit from somewhere they are going to be a 2nd division side next year.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Graeme Hick still solid for Worcs, 369 at 33.54, 1x100, 1x50. Highest of 101. In total, a lazy 40792 runs from 522 First Class matches. Averaging 52.09 over 25 years. Legend.