Kane Williamson appreciation thread.

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Kane Williamson appreciation thread.

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Guy is more automatic than Smith or Kohli. IMO, Smiths average is the only thing preventing KW from being the best Test batsman in the world. Scores runs against all teams in all conditions.

Hats off to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Kane Williamson appreciation thread.

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:10 pm
Guy is more automatic than Smith or Kohli. IMO, Smiths average is the only thing preventing KW from being the best Test batsman in the world. Scores runs against all teams in all conditions.

Hats off to him.
He averages in the 40s against India, Australia, England & South Africa. I’m not knocking him I love KW but he’s well behind Smith & Kohli imo
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If Kane Williamson played for India, Australia, or England he would be deemed the best or second-best batsman in the world
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:10 am
If Kane Williamson played for India, Australia, or England he would be deemed the best or second-best batsman in the world
Why?

eugene

Post by eugene »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 am
eugene wrote:
Why?
Players from the big three receive more hype.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:34 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 am
eugene wrote:
Why?
Players from the big three receive more hype.
Definitely. KW is way better than Joe Root.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I agree KW is much better than Root, but does anyone actually claim the opposite ? I don’t think so

There are three great players of this generation Smith, Kohli & KW, but KW is definitely third in this list. As I said against the big teams he averages 40s where Smith averages over 100 v England and has a very good record v India as well

Kohli imo is the best limited overs batsman of the three, just behind Smith in Tests, although not by much. I love Kohli and his love for the fight and battle, best batsman of the three I believe

eugene

Post by eugene »

Is Kane Williamson the best captain? Also remember that Kane bats on New Zealand wickets which are more bowler-friendly.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:04 am
Is Kane Williamson the best captain? Also remember that Kane bats on New Zealand wickets which are more bowler-friendly.
I think that’s fair, Kohli is a great lead by example captain but I find Rahane a better tactician.

I don’t agree NZ decks are more bowler friendly, NZ always put on massive scores and all their batsman have highly inflated averages at home.

Apart from the odd green deck (which are still very flat) NZ decks are generally fairly flat, evenly paced & lack any real pace or bounce.

The NZ batters including KW were shown up last year in Aus where they couldn’t handle the pace and bounce of the Aussie attack. I was actually really disappointed how easily NZ were beaten last summer and that’s why despite their ranking I don’t see NZ as the No.1 Test side in the world.

I’d be very interested to see how they’d go in South Africa, usually the Proteas hammer them home & away, but surely this is the best NZ side & the worst RSA side? Maybe a more even contest ?

eugene

Post by eugene »

I too was disappointed by New Zealand's showing in Australia. We have often done well in Australia, last year was not one of those times.