Bangladesh: The Beginning of the End of the Shakib Era

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Bangladesh: The Beginning of the End of the Shakib Era

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The BCB has granted Shakib paternity leave for the NZ white ball tour - which is understandable. But Shakib has requested and received approval to skip the Test tour of Sri Lanka in order to play the IPL (Mustafiz has also been given permission to skip the SL Tests).

The BCB has come out and admitted that it makes no sense to force Shakib to play Tests when he doesn't want to. Shakib is almost 34, and with his family based in the US, he spends most of his free time Stateside. I can't see Shakib playing even 10 more Tests, although he is still making himself available for white ball cricket, and stated in the past his goal is to play up to the 2023 World Cup.

Personally, I think Shakib quitting Tests is a good thing. It opens up room for young players like Mosaddek or Shanto to fit into an XI while Tamim and Mushfiq are still around to guide them. It prevents all the seniors exiting stage left all at the same time.

I think the following lineup should be persisted with and allowed to gel after a long break in Test cricket:

1) Tamim
2) Shadman
3) Shanto
4) Mominul
5) Mushfiq
6) Mosaddek
7) Liton
8) Miraz
9) Taijul
10) Jayed
11) Ebadat

Nayeem, Shoriful, Khaled, and Yasir would be the current backups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Re: Bangladesh: The Beginning of the End of the Shakib Era

Post by sam_ahm »

Lost all respect for Shakib, he is either injured or banned or attends the birth of his child, or prefers to play in T20 leagues... Anything but playing for his country works for him.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:16 pm
Lost all respect for Shakib, he is either injured or banned or attends the birth of his child, or prefers to play in T20 leagues... Anything but playing for his country works for him.
Disappointing for sure but at this stage BD needs think about what lies beyond the Big 3.

If this was Tamim and Mushy I would be much more upset, but Shakib was never one of my favorite players although I always rooted for him.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Greatest Bangladeshi cricketer of all time?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:44 am
Greatest Bangladeshi cricketer of all time?
Easily I think. By far the best bowler across formats and one of the best batsmen. Not many true two-in-one players.

He wasn’t even my top 5 favorites tho.

Bangladeshi_Fan

Post by Bangladeshi_Fan »

Bangladesh are going downhill. Things are quite bad now.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Why are they going down hill

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Have we seen the last of Shakib? He is bashing his own cricket board left right and center, despite getting the NOC to play the IPL. It seems BCB are now reconsidering his NOC, Which might mean him retiring and playing only T20 leagues.

Meanwhile CSA has released all the IPL bound players to play the IPL over the T20 and ODI series against Pakistan.

This is depressing.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Shakib Al Hasan's NOC for IPL could be reconsidered - BCB cricket operations chairman

Cricket operations chairman Akram Khan makes claim after Shakib hits out at criticism

The BCB may reconsider the No-Objection Certificate (NOC) for Shakib Al Hasan to play in this year's IPL, according to Akram Khan, the board's cricket operations chairman. The news comes less than 24 hours after Shakib had accused the BCB, and particularly Khan, of misrepresenting him about his decision to skip the Tests against Sri Lanka.

Khan, who spoke shortly after a meeting at the BCB president Nazmul Hassan's residence in Dhaka, said that discussions about Shakib's NOC will be held in the next couple of days, after Shakib had said in an interview on Friday that he never wrote in his letter to the BCB that he didn't want to play Tests.

"I heard that he said that I didn't read his letter," Khan said. "Perhaps I misunderstood his letter. He wants to play Tests, from what he has said. In the next couple of days we will discuss about his NOC. If he has interest, he will play Tests in Sri Lanka. We will decide about the rest after hearing the whole interview."

Khan confirmed that he read Shakib's letter where it was mentioned that he wanted to skip the Sri Lanka series to play in the IPL. "Shakib wrote in the letter that he wants to play the IPL instead of the Test series in Sri Lanka," he said.

Shakib said on Friday that Khan has continued to mention his desire not to play the Test series even though he wrote to the board that he wants to play in the IPL - where he has an Rs 3.2 crore ($438,000 approx) contract with Kolkata Knight Riders - to prepare for the upcoming T20 World Cup.

"Those who keep saying that I don't want to play Tests, I am sure they didn't read my letter," he said. "I didn't mention anywhere in my letter to the BCB that I don't want to play Tests. I wrote that I want to play the IPL to prepare myself for the World Cup.

"Akram bhai especially has repeatedly said that I don't want to play Tests. I think he said it again in an interview yesterday. I guess he never read the letter. People should have a clear idea that I wanted to play the IPL even if ODIs were scheduled during this time.

"I want to take advantage of playing in the same grounds and against the same players who I will face in the World Cup T20 four months later. I can share the same experience with my Bangladesh team-mates," Shakib said.

Shakib also pointed the finger at the former cricketers who are in the BCB currently, and said that the BCB's player development process, particularly the high performance programme, hasn't produced enough good cricketers in the last five years.

Naimur Rahman, the high performance programme's chairman and a former Bangladesh captain, said that Shakib's comments were surprising.

"In the last five years, a number of our Under-19 cricketers have come through the HP to play for the senior team," Rahman said. "They recently beat Ireland Wolves. So this is a surprising comment. I don't know if there's anything behind it."

Rahman added that Shakib's point about respecting Bangladeshi cricketers was contradictory as he himself isn't respecting the former cricketers in the board. "He also spoke about respecting players, so did he respect the former cricketers in the board?" he said.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/shak ... an-1256042

Looks like things are only getting worse between the BCB & Shakib
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 pm
Shakib Al Hasan's NOC for IPL could be reconsidered - BCB cricket operations chairman

Cricket operations chairman Akram Khan makes claim after Shakib hits out at criticism

The BCB may reconsider the No-Objection Certificate (NOC) for Shakib Al Hasan to play in this year's IPL, according to Akram Khan, the board's cricket operations chairman. The news comes less than 24 hours after Shakib had accused the BCB, and particularly Khan, of misrepresenting him about his decision to skip the Tests against Sri Lanka.

Khan, who spoke shortly after a meeting at the BCB president Nazmul Hassan's residence in Dhaka, said that discussions about Shakib's NOC will be held in the next couple of days, after Shakib had said in an interview on Friday that he never wrote in his letter to the BCB that he didn't want to play Tests.

"I heard that he said that I didn't read his letter," Khan said. "Perhaps I misunderstood his letter. He wants to play Tests, from what he has said. In the next couple of days we will discuss about his NOC. If he has interest, he will play Tests in Sri Lanka. We will decide about the rest after hearing the whole interview."

Khan confirmed that he read Shakib's letter where it was mentioned that he wanted to skip the Sri Lanka series to play in the IPL. "Shakib wrote in the letter that he wants to play the IPL instead of the Test series in Sri Lanka," he said.

Shakib said on Friday that Khan has continued to mention his desire not to play the Test series even though he wrote to the board that he wants to play in the IPL - where he has an Rs 3.2 crore ($438,000 approx) contract with Kolkata Knight Riders - to prepare for the upcoming T20 World Cup.

"Those who keep saying that I don't want to play Tests, I am sure they didn't read my letter," he said. "I didn't mention anywhere in my letter to the BCB that I don't want to play Tests. I wrote that I want to play the IPL to prepare myself for the World Cup.

"Akram bhai especially has repeatedly said that I don't want to play Tests. I think he said it again in an interview yesterday. I guess he never read the letter. People should have a clear idea that I wanted to play the IPL even if ODIs were scheduled during this time.

"I want to take advantage of playing in the same grounds and against the same players who I will face in the World Cup T20 four months later. I can share the same experience with my Bangladesh team-mates," Shakib said.

Shakib also pointed the finger at the former cricketers who are in the BCB currently, and said that the BCB's player development process, particularly the high performance programme, hasn't produced enough good cricketers in the last five years.

Naimur Rahman, the high performance programme's chairman and a former Bangladesh captain, said that Shakib's comments were surprising.

"In the last five years, a number of our Under-19 cricketers have come through the HP to play for the senior team," Rahman said. "They recently beat Ireland Wolves. So this is a surprising comment. I don't know if there's anything behind it."

Rahman added that Shakib's point about respecting Bangladeshi cricketers was contradictory as he himself isn't respecting the former cricketers in the board. "He also spoke about respecting players, so did he respect the former cricketers in the board?" he said.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/shak ... an-1256042

Looks like things are only getting worse between the BCB & Shakib
This is potentially the biggest "beef" between Shakib and BCB yet. Lets see what happens...