Bangladesh tour of New Zealand 2021

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Bangladesh tour of New Zealand 2021

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:55 am
Just saw some overs here Bangladesh have dropped sitters and that too at crucial stages of the game, both Neesham and Lathan dropped, this is international cricket, you cannot be so abysmal in the field and win games.
Kiwis also dropped some sitters in the first innings. But NZ were still generally sharp in the field. Bangladesh have been decent by their standards, but far sloppier than NZ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I didn't see most of Bangladesh's batting, was able to catch the last few overs and thought they batted well.

NZL are clear favts, esp at home, Bangladesh have messed up their chances of a valuable win here, those two wickets of Latham and Neesham could have sealed the game.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:59 am
I didn't see most of Bangladesh's batting, was able to catch the last few overs and thought they batted well.

NZL are clear favts, esp at home, Bangladesh have messed up their chances of a valuable win here, those two wickets of Latham and Neesham could have sealed the game.
Its disappointing, but I'm just glad we didn't get annhilated like the first game. Bangladesh are capable of competing against any team in all conditions barring swinging/seaming ones like we had in Dunedin the other day. A win would also have likely meant no change in the squad for the final ODI.

Looks like Fizz has a niggle, and with Hasan already injured, Shoriful is almost sure to make his debut. Should have played ahead of Hasan to begin with - has the same pace (around 135), but taller and gets more bounce, plus can swing the ball better than Hasan can. Absolutely idiotic to not play him in Dunedin where the ball was moving all over the place.

Hopefully Soumya goes out for Shanto. I'd have liked to see Mosaddek bat at 5, but with Mithun actually doing a decent job, Mosaddek's career will likely end at age 25.

At any rate, 271-6 is a decent effort with the bat, but 30-50 runs short in the end, and Bangladesh's overly slow start in the first 15 overs cost them those runs.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Finally ODI and the think tank still persis with proven failures like Mithun and Soumya. And instead of giving a debut cap to Shoriful in helpful conditions they play Rubel, who is not a bad ODI bowler, but he's a known quantity.

Really hoping NZ put 400 on the board and win this game by more than 200 runs.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

BD 32 for 3 chasing 318 and heading for a whitewash here.

I thought BD bowled fairly well this series. Nothing spectacular, but with tighter fielding, their figures would look a little better. The batting, barring an OK performance in the 2nd ODI, was the real disappointment. Tamim's form has dipped from what it was in the 4 years between the 2015 and 2019 World Cups.

Hope Mushy can get a century here and pad his stats. He's got ODI hundreds in England (vs Australia) and South Africa, so getting one in NZ would really be good for his CV.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

This is an extremely dreadful performance by Bangladesh, somehow they seem to have lost confidence ever since that massive chase by Mayers and Bonner.

I agree, Bangladesh have given so many chances to Soumya and Mithun it's time they move on and try some youngsters. I'm OK with Liton, he seems.to have so much talent but he is not fulfilling his potential.

Taskin was their biggest positive from the series.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Bangladesh have been playing shit cricket since the end of the 2019 World Cup, so little to do with Mayers and Bonner IMO. That was just another example, not the cause.

The cause is manyfold. Poor planning from the BCB, lack of A team tours, lack of stability on the coaching front (new coach every 2 years, if he lasts that long), and last but not least, Minhajul Abedin is the most clueless selector we've ever had - and that is a high bar to clear.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Bangladesh have never won a game against NZL in NZL in any format! This stat was a bit shocking for me esp considering they have a good record against NZL at home.

I hope they can pull off one T20 atleast this time.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yea its been a disappointing series. Some fight shown in the 2nd ODI - which was probably the closest ODI we've played in NZ apart from the 2015 WC game, but pathetic displays in all the other games.

The team is going to have to improve markedly if they want to get some points from the upcoming Super League games vs Sri Lanka.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:15 am
Yea its been a disappointing series. Some fight shown in the 2nd ODI - which was probably the closest ODI we've played in NZ apart from the 2015 WC game, but pathetic displays in all the other games.

The team is going to have to improve markedly if they want to get some points from the upcoming Super League games vs Sri Lanka.
I think it's just 2 tests against SLN, no WSL games.