Best Australian XI from the last decade

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Best Australian XI from the last decade

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It's tough, but I'll give it a shot:

1. J. Langer
2. M. Hayden
3. R. Ponting
4. M. Waugh
5. S. Waugh (capt)
6. M. Clarke
7. A. Gilchrist (vice capt/wk)
8. S. Warne
9. B. Lee
10. J. Gillespie
11. G. McGrath

Langer and Hayden are comfortable selections, as is Ponting. The Waugh brothers were both mainstays of the Australian team in the 90's and early 00's. Number 6 was a tough choice, it could have gone to either Clarke, Martyn or Hussey. Martyn never did much for me though, and Clarke's record is slightly better than Martyn's. Clarke is also a match winner, if not with his fielding, with his bowling. So he has the edge over Martyn. Making this list a year ago, I would have put Hussey in ahead of Clarke, but since then Clarke's return to fantastic form has coincided with Hussey's drop in form.

Gilchrist has been the only wicket keeper of the last decade, so no worries there. Lee has really come on in the last year or so and would be among the best bowlers in the world. Kasprowicz, Bichel, Fleming, etc... while all good, aren't as good as Lee or Gillespie. McGrath is an automatic selection.

12th man would probably be Damien Martyn, and the next choice bowlers would be Michael Kasprowicz, Stuart MacGill and Stuart Clark, probably in that order.

Detective RDS

Re: Best Australian XI from the last decade

Post by Detective RDS »

AUSTRALIA BEST 11

1.Justin Langer
2.Mathew Hayden
3.Ricky Ponting(CAPT)
4.Mark Waugh
5.Damien Martyn
6.Steve Waugh
7.Adam Gilchirst(V-CAPT+WK)
8.Shane Warne