IPL now List A cricket. Huh?

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

IPL now List A cricket. Huh?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I can't believe this article glossed over it...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/conte ... 38416.html
... The BCCI's working committee also voted to classify the IPL as List A cricket at its meeting today in Kolkata and stated their opposition to the new sports bill being promulgated by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
One line in the entire article.

Why would a Twenty20 tournament such as the IPL be List A? That just makes no sense to me. Traditional List A cricket has included 40 to 65 (?) over games where batsmen can properly build an innings. If you lump T20 in with that the statistics are going to be absolutely meaningless; strike rate, average, economy, etc will be impacted heavily. What a bizarre and utterly terrible decision. Why not class T20Is as ODIs as well? :roll:

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: IPL now List A cricket. Huh?

Post by maehara »

I suspect the statisticians will have a few words to say about that - they're very protective of keeping the figures meaningful, and if they collectively decide "List A? No it bloody well isn't..." then what BCCI says will be pretty much meaningless. See: the ICC's Australia v ROW matches as precedent.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:I suspect the statisticians will have a few words to say about that - they're very protective of keeping the figures meaningful, and if they collectively decide "List A? No it bloody well isn't..." then what BCCI says will be pretty much meaningless. See: the ICC's Australia v ROW matches as precedent.
Hopefully, it would make a mockery of cricket statistics if this decision went uncontested.

By the way, congratulations on Ireland's win in the International Rules last night. Australia were never in it, it would take something pretty extraordinary for us to come back and win the series from here :(

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

That is dumb. :x

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

IPL sucks. Cricket will be better off once it has died, probably another 5 or 10 years away.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes