Ireland Vs Namibia Intercontinental Cup

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Ireland Vs Namibia Intercontinental Cup

Post by maehara »

...and a 9-wicket win gives Ireland the "three-peat" (awful American word, but fits here!). Cricket Ireland had stated a while back that they were looking for Test status within 10 years (8 years left, if my memory serves), and the ICC aren't ruling the idea out yet. If they can win the one-day World Cup Qualifiers and keep their hands on the Intercontinental Cup for a few more years, they might even get there.

One stumbling block, though, would be the requirement currently in the ICC rules for prospective Full Members to have a fully self-financing first class competition. There's not a cricketing nation in the world where the first class competitions aren't heavily subsidised by other tourneys, so that rule seems tailor-made to prevent anyone else getting Full Member status...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:One stumbling block, though, would be the requirement currently in the ICC rules for prospective Full Members to have a fully self-financing first class competition.
I've never understood that... does it mean their competition can have First Class status too? Or does it just have to be a domestic multi-day competition played under First Class rules, but not in the record books as such?

At the moment, I think Kenya is the only country that would even get close to setting up their own First Class tournament... and even they struggled to get a 3-day league going. It is a strange requirement indeed.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I've never understood that... does it mean their competition can have First Class status too? Or does it just have to be a domestic multi-day competition played under First Class rules, but not in the record books as such?
As I read it, they must a) have a domestic multi-day competition that's recognised as a First Class competition, and b) that that competition must be profitable in its own right, without any subsidy / financial support from any other tournaments played. Which is nearly impossible to prove.

Ireland has neither domestic First Class nor List A at the moment - List A comes from Ireland's place in the Friends Provident Trophy (where there record is far from distinguished, sadly), First Class through the Intercontinental Cup. But we already have the required provincial structures in place (Northern, North-West & Leinster) that domestic competitions could be organised around. "Just" need to work out the funding.
At the moment, I think Kenya is the only country that would even get close to setting up their own First Class tournament... and even they struggled to get a 3-day league going. It is a strange requirement indeed.
Kenya's domestic structure is collapsing, to be honest - there are a number of their provinces that have seen no competitive cricket this season, and I don't think the 3-day league was completed. Definite problems there...