Kenya v Nepal T20 series

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Kenya v Nepal T20 series

Post by CalZim »

Thought I’d put this here as I have been following this t20 series.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how good Kenya have been. Their batting has been a little flat but bowling has been great the last couple of days.

They should have won yesterday but let it slip with a couple of fielding mistakes at the end. Today they have won with a clinical bowling performance.

Facilities are great and the television streams have been good. Even decent commentators for the series.

Kenya seems to be reviving over the last few months, they battered the 3rd round of the challenge cup beating Jersey and Uganda along the way, it’s a shame they had a poor start to the competition and missed out in qualifying.

Key players for Kenya at the moment:

Batting:
Irfan Karim - they rely heavily on him for runs

Nelson Odhiambo - can hit the ball far but not a great temperament

Collins Obuya - I’m sure everyone remembers this name, great player in his prime, can still hold the bat

Bowling:
Lucas Oluche - he is seriously good, quick bowler who moves it around and he is handy with the bat as well, knocked it round the park for a 30 odd in game 1

Emmanuel Bundi - missed the first game with a niggle, handy fast bowler

Shem Ngoche - this guy doesn’t seem to age, still going strong and putting it in the right areas, doesn’t turn it much though

Key player:
Vraj Patel - This guy is seriously good and deserves to be mentioned on his own. He is only 20 I think, he turns the ball round corners, Nepal haven’t had a clue against him and they are used to Sandeep Lamichane!

Loving the series, good to see cricket in Kenya again, hope they can turn their fortunes around. I think they have been unlucky recently with the Rise of Uganda.

I can see why there is 2 spaces now for these sides in the world t20 qualifiers, Naimibia, Kenya and Uganda are all very competitive at the minute.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Kenya v Nepal T20 series

Post by secretzimbo »

Obuya is still playing?!?! Blimey.

Went to the Gymkhana Ground about 7-8 years ago when visiting Kenya, had a cracking curry there, blew my fucking head off!!! Sadly there was no cricket on. Great place - like the top sports clubs in Zim used to be.

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm
Obuya is still playing?!?! Blimey.

Went to the Gymkhana Ground about 7-8 years ago when visiting Kenya, had a cracking curry there, blew my fucking head off!!! Sadly there was no cricket on. Great place - like the top sports clubs in Zim used to be.
There are quite a few names in the squad you may recognise (odhiambo, oduya, ngoche, otieno), most of the team are above 30 sadly, but they do have some promising youngsters coming through.

It’s a place I have never been, but I’m sure I would if we ever play there again. I do remember the 5 match ODI series where Hamilton Masakadza hit like 600 runs or something stupid, I’d have to find it.

African cricket is on the rise at the minute, South Africa are looking good Namibia are competing against the big teams, Uganda keep getting better and better. Even Tanzania have got a few decent players!

My bias may take over though because I just love African cricket and follow everything :lol:

Sadly Nigeria have struggled recently and seem to be on a bit of a decline, maybe because others are improving.

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

This is it I think:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyan_ ... in_2009–10

Thought we played this series in Kenya, must have been mistaken.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Where does one find the streams of this series?

I have aways had a soft spot for Kenyan cricket, I hope they can one day rise again. Whatever happened to Seren Waters? Does he still play? They had a couple of white guys at one point.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

eugene wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:52 pm
Where does one find the streams of this series?

I have aways had a soft spot for Kenyan cricket, I hope they can one day rise again. Whatever happened to Seren Waters? Does he still play? They had a couple of white guys at one point.
I watch everything on bet365, stream is really good and with these games there is commentary as well.

They stream all international cricket, so that’s how I watched all of the challenge cup.

No white players in the current squad, although I think Peter Langat is mixed race (not in current squad against Nepal).

Waters hasn’t played for over 10 years now I think. I’m sure he is only 30 odd. Such a waste of a great talent, he was a decent bat.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

CalZim wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:38 pm
Thought I’d put this here as I have been following this t20 series.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how good Kenya have been. Their batting has been a little flat but bowling has been great the last couple of days.

They should have won yesterday but let it slip with a couple of fielding mistakes at the end. Today they have won with a clinical bowling performance.

Facilities are great and the television streams have been good. Even decent commentators for the series.

Kenya seems to be reviving over the last few months, they battered the 3rd round of the challenge cup beating Jersey and Uganda along the way, it’s a shame they had a poor start to the competition and missed out in qualifying.

Key players for Kenya at the moment:

Batting:
Irfan Karim - they rely heavily on him for runs

Nelson Odhiambo - can hit the ball far but not a great temperament

Collins Obuya - I’m sure everyone remembers this name, great player in his prime, can still hold the bat

Bowling:
Lucas Oluche - he is seriously good, quick bowler who moves it around and he is handy with the bat as well, knocked it round the park for a 30 odd in game 1

Emmanuel Bundi - missed the first game with a niggle, handy fast bowler

Shem Ngoche - this guy doesn’t seem to age, still going strong and putting it in the right areas, doesn’t turn it much though

Key player:
Vraj Patel - This guy is seriously good and deserves to be mentioned on his own. He is only 20 I think, he turns the ball round corners, Nepal haven’t had a clue against him and they are used to Sandeep Lamichane!

Loving the series, good to see cricket in Kenya again, hope they can turn their fortunes around. I think they have been unlucky recently with the Rise of Uganda.

I can see why there is 2 spaces now for these sides in the world t20 qualifiers, Naimibia, Kenya and Uganda are all very competitive at the minute.
I'm not following Kenya much, but I'm sure Rakep Patel is a pretty handy player too apart from the ones you mentioned.

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:53 am

I'm not following Kenya much, but I'm sure Rakep Patel is a pretty handy player too apart from the ones you mentioned.
You have got that right! He smashed 73 today against Nepal.

Kenya hit 156-2 in the 3rd t20, I can see them winning from here. Pitch isn’t great for batting.