WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008.

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Detective RDS

WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008.

Post by Detective RDS »

Recently,two of Australian newspapers hv published their World Test 11 of 2008.Here it is:

WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008 (Sydney Morning Herald)

1.Graeme Smith(SOU)
2.Gautam Gambhir(IND)
3.Hashim Amla(SOU)
4.Kevin Pietersen(ENG)
5.Shivnarine Chanderpaul(WI)
6.AB De Villiers(SOU)
7.Mahendra Dhoni(IND) WK+Capt
8.Mitchel Johnson(AUS)
9.Dale Steyn(SOU)
10.Muttiah Murailitharan(SL)
11.Ajantha Mendis(SL)

WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008 (Herald Sun)

1.Graeme Smith(SOU) Capt
2.Gautam Gambhir(IND)
3.Ricky Ponting(AUS)
4.Sachin Tendulker(IND)
6.AB De Villiers(SOU)
7.Mahendra Dhoni(IND) WK+V-Capt
8.Mitchel Johnson(AUS)
9.Dale Steyn(SOU)
10.Ishant Sharma(IND)
11.Muttiah Murailitharan(SL)
Kevin Pietersen(ENG) 12th men.

What's ur one will be?You can post here that.

Detective RDS

Re: WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008

Post by Detective RDS »

WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008 (My)

1.Graeme Smith(SOU) Capt
2.Virender Sehwag(IND)
3.Gautam Gambhir(IND)
4.Kevin Pietersen(ENG)
6.AB De Villiers(SOU)
7.Mahendra Dhoni(IND) WK+V-Capt
8.Mitchel Johnson(AUS)
9.Dale Steyn(SOU)
10.Ryan Sidebottom(ENG)
11.Ajantha Mendis(SL)
Hashim Amla(SOU) 12th men

Graeme Smith is the captain of this team as his best success as a captain has come by winning the test series against Australia in Australia.Smith and Sehwag is the opener of this team.Smith is in great form.Sehwag is a very aggressive player who can turn the match from the opposition and a useful offspinner too.Christopher Gayle is missed out from the opening position.Gayle is a fantastic player but Smith and Sehwag has beaten him.

1 down batsman Gambhir has scored more than 1000 test runs at 76 and he is an automic selection for his form.Ricky Ponting and Hashim Amla is missed out from the 3rd position.Though Ponting has scored 3rd highest runs in tests in 2008,but I think he sometimes finds an edge to the fielders.Amla is a very good player in no 3 but Gambhir has beaten him.

Kevin Pietersen is in the 4th position.Sachin Tendulker is missed out from 4th position.Tendulker scored an unbeaten century while chasing 387 in Chennai and he has the highest test runs.But I think,Tendulker has struggled in his career with his form,injury and age at times.I will go with Kevin Pietersen.Pietersen is a fantastic player.I hv never seen him struggling with form.

I think,everyone will agree that Chanderpaul should bat at no 5.He is in tremondus form and often gives his wicket away.

AB De Villiers is in the 6th position.He is a fine young batsman and a fantastic fielder like Jonty Rhodes.He has scored a century 106* in the historic run chase 414 against Australia in WACA,Perth.

Mahendra Dhoni is the best wicket-keeper batsman.He is the vice captain of this team.Dhonis captaincy is impressive especially his strategy always works against the opportents.Kumar Sangakkara and Mark Boucher hv missed out from this wicket-keeper position.

I hv 3 pacers as its clearly seen from the statistics that this year pacers hv dominated more than the spinners.Mitchell Johnson is in great form,has 8 wickets in an innings against South Africa.Dale Steyn is the best pacer in the world right now and holds some bowling records for South Africa.Ryan Sidebottom has taken many wickets this year and even has done well in the subcontinental pitches with his swing.

Mysterious spinner Ajantha Mendis is in the side.He has 26 wickets in 3 tests and can bowl 6 types of delivaries.Though Murailitharan is taking wickets,the batsmen hv started to play him by reading his 'DOOSRA'.So,I will go with Mendis.

This is my WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008.While many players hv done well in 2008 but the place is limited and this will be the best side in my opinion.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008.

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

1. Gambhir
2. Smith
3. Amla
4. Tendulkar
5. Pietersen
6. de Villiers
7. Dhoni
8. Johnson
9. Steyn
10. Sharma
11. Mendis

Murali close, Dhoni wicket keeper, Smith captain.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Today cricinfo has announced their World Test 11 of 2008.I am giving it here:

CRICINFO'S WORLD TEST 11 OF 2008

1.Graeme Smith(SOU) Capt
2.Virender Sehwag(IND)
3.Gautam Gambhir(IND)
4.Sachin Tendulker(IND)
5.Kevin Pietersen(ENG)
6.Shivnarine Chanderpaul(WI)
7.Mahendra Dhoni(IND) WK
8.Zaheer Khan(IND)
9.Dale Steyn(SOU)
10.Ajantha Mendis(SL)
11.Ishant Sharma(IND)

Near misses: AB De Villiers(SOU),Andrew Flintoff(ENG),Daniel Vettori(NZ)

By
Sidharth Monga
January 3, 2009
Sidharth Monga is a staff writer at Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

Monga sounds Indian, i smell a slight....err massive Indian bias...or maybe not? cough

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

zimdan wrote:Monga sounds Indian, i smell a slight....err massive Indian bias...or maybe not? cough
Yes, I agree. It is very Indian heavy. Certainly, I think Mitchell Johnson was hardly done by.

Zaheer Khan took 27 wickets at 36
Johnson took 63 wickets at 29 and averaged nearly 23 with the bat.

How is having Khan in the team justified?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:How is having Khan in the team justified?
Many people are talking about Zaheer as the best fast bowler in the world right now. I find it hilarious.

I would have had Amla in place of Tendulkar, and Johnson in place of Zaheer. Gambhir is clearly the Indian player of the year...