Pietersen Throws Toys Out of Pram

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Pietersen Throws Toys Out of Pram

Post by maehara »

BBC Sport reports that Kevin Pietersen has resigned as England captain after the ECB refused to bow to his demands to sack coach Peter Moores:
"Pietersen gave an ultimatum to the ECB saying 'sack the coach or I go'," BBC sports editor Mihir Bose told 5 Live. "The ECB has said 'we value you as captain but we don't take dictation from you'. So they accepted his ultimatum and he has suffered."
There's now speculation that Pietersen will turn his back on international cricket in favour of a lucrative IPL contract. It's not the first time he's thrown a wobbler with his board - he quit South Africa to play in England after Cricket South Africa selectors didn't take notice of his as quickly as he wanted them to. Ironically, it looked (and still looks) likely that Moores will also be out of a job shortly - if he'd just kept his mouth publicly shut he could have got his way and kept his post - but his ego just didn't seem to allow that.

While Pietersen undoubtedly has talent, his ego is large enough to really be an issue. He clearly believes his own press a little too much...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Pietersen Throws Toys Out of Pram

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I've never been a fan of Pietersen. If he quits, it just makes the Ashes easier for Australia so I'm not complaining.

Andy Flower might be the temporary coach in the West Indies, I guess that is something to keep an eye on. It would take a lot of things to happen, but maybe one day he will return to Zimbabwe. He would walk straight into the head coaching position.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:If he quits, it just makes the Ashes easier for Australia so I'm not complaining.
...and the way things are going for Oz at the moment, you may just need the help.. :twisted:
Andy Flower might be the temporary coach in the West Indies, I guess that is something to keep an eye on.
Well, England have already had one Zimbabwean work magic for their form, no harm in seeing if lightning can strike twice!

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Well well well,I am a big fan of Kevin Pietersen.I like his batting and aggressiveness.Seeing Pietersen I can explain him like that, 'He is a person who thinks himself very important.He thinks that he can hv everything going as he wants'.

He said to the ECB that, 'Sack the coach or I go'.He shouldnt hv written like that.It can be called a threat.Well,the ECB definitely will not tolerate threats from the captain Pietersen!!!They would think that Pietersen is under their control but not they are under Pietersen's control.

I know,a very bad relation is going between Kevin Pietersen and Peter Moores.Pietersen shouldnt give threat to the ECB but he could talk with them or E-mail them by writing the logic of sacking the coach Peter Moores and why he can't work with him.If he did so,the ECB wouldnt come into temper and could find any way of solving the problem.

The controversy was started for the subject picking Micheal Vaughan in the squad.Kevin Pietersen thought that as the team isnt winning enough games in the tests,then England need Micheal Vaughan.England is struggling with the no 3 batting position in the tests by the failing of Ian Bell.Micheal Vaughan used to bat in this position.Moreover,Vaughan was the captain of England when England won the Asheas 2005.So,Vaughan's experience will be benifited for the team.Logical!!!Pietersen wasnt present when the squad of England was picked.But Pietersen did tell coach Peter Moores to pick Vaughan in the squad.But Peter Moores didnt response that in the selection table.The relation between Pietersen and Moores wasnt good either previously and this time Pietersen got very angry seeing the squad without Vaughan. :evil:

Well,Pietersen has resigned from the captaincy.I think,Peter Moores will not remain either.He didnt give the team many success.His previous coach Duncan Fletcher was very successful especially in the test level as England was 2nd in the ranking then.

Zimbabwe's Andy Flower will probably be the coach of the team who is currently the batting coach of England.Indeed,If Andy Flower comes to Zimbabwe,he will definitely be the coach of Zimbabwe.But it's much unlikely after he wore the black armband.If he allowed to come back in Zimbabwe,then it's also can be thought that Zimbabwe will get their former players back who hv quit Zimbabwe or thrown away by ZC.

While the future of Pietersen and Moores uncertain,cricinfo has named six possible candidates for the captaincy post.They are:

From cricinfo:

1) Andrew Strauss:

Positive note: A senior player with previous captaincy experience, respected by his team-mates.His previous short spell as captain, in 2006, brought an impressive series win against Pakistan.

Negative Note: Not part of the one-day or Twenty20 set-up.

2) Alastair Cook:

Positive Note:A long-term pick which would allow planning for the future.

Negative Note:Like Strauss, only a Test certainty and still very young.

3) Andrew Flintoff:

Positive Note:A chance for him to prove he can lead a team after the Ashes whitewash would be a motivation.

Negative Note:He's too important to the team and already has enough on his plate.Struggled very much while his captaincy period.He lost the Asheas by 5-0 in Australia.

4) Robert Key:

Positive Note:A new face would bring new ideas, and at the same time would freshen up a batting order that has become stale.

Negative Note:Would have to justify his place with runs at the same time as learning international captaincy.

5) Paul Collingwood:

Positive Note:A tough character for tough times, possibly as short-term solution.

Negative Note:Wasn't quite up to it previously and is seemingly always fighting for his place.

6) Micheal Vaughan:

Positive Note: Been there, done that and won the Ashes.

Negative Note:Has had his time and no chance to prove any batting form.

My opinion:

Micheal Vaughan resigned as captain himself after he struggled to manage victory and struggled to get into the batting form.He has retired from the ODIs.I dont think,ECB will make him again the test captain.He can be needs to find his form but not selected for the team.

Paul Collingwood also resigned from the ODI captaincy himself in the same day when Vaughan resigned saying that his captaincy is creating pressaure in his batting and fielding.Even now,Collingwood is seen to fight for his position by making runs more than dominating.So,it's very unlikely that he will become the captain.

I dont think,Robert Key has got a chance in the captaincy.First he has to make a place for him in the team.

In my opinion,Andrew Flintoff shouldnt given the captaincy.He has to perform equally both with the bat and bowl.He has struggled in the captaincy very badly losing the Asheas by
5-0 in Australia.

Alastair Cook is very young.Though he is regular in the tests but yet to make a mark in the ODI level.He has got many time to be selected for this post in the future.

Andrew Strauss did well in his captaincy period.In my opinion,Strauss should be given the captaincy.He has won the series against Pakistan.But his negative point is that he isnt in the plan of the ODI or Twenty-20 setup.But he can be given a chance to make a comeback in these format.

But England should stick with Kevin Pietersen.But if not possible,then Andrew Strauss is my first choice as the captain.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

I think the pedalo incident ruined Flintoff's chances of ever being captain again. There's also something to be said for keeping your best players away from the captaincy - combining the two either ruins a player's form or ruins their ego.

Probably end up having to split the captaincy again, with Strauss as Test captain and Collingwood reinstated as one-day captain.

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

Despite his talent, Kevin is a drama king, i think he got issues to sort out. Whether he stays or leaves, i feel England can do without him. He can go and bury his head somewhere, i lost respect for the guy.