IPL player auction of 2009

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Detective RDS

IPL player auction of 2009

Post by Detective RDS »

The players are being sold for IPL 2009.The following players are being bought:

1.Kevin Pietersen(ENG)-Bangalore Royal Challengers ($1.55 million )
2.Jessy Ryder(NZ)-Bangalore Royal Challengers ($160,000)

3.Andrew Flintoff(ENG)-Chennai Super Kings ($1.55 million)
4.Thilan Thushara(SL)-Chennai Super Kings ($140,000)
5.George Bailey(AUS)-Chennai Super Kings ($50,000)

6.Jean Paul Duminy(SOU)-Mumbai Indians ($950,000)
7.Kyle Mills(NZ)-Mumbai Indians ($150,000)
8.Mohammad Ashraful(BAN)-Mumbai Indians ($75,000)

9.Tyron Henderson(SOU)-Rajasthan Royals ($650,000)
10.Shaun Tait(AUS)-Rajasthan Royals ($375,000)

11.Paul Collingwood(ENG)-Delhi Daredevils ($275,000)
12.Owais Shah(ENG)-Delhi Daredevils ($275,000)

13.Ravi Bopara(ENG)-Kings 11 Punjab ($450,00)
14.Jerome Taylor(WI)-Kings 11 Punjab ($150,000)

15.Fidel Edwards(WI)-Hydrebad Deccan Chargers ($150,000)
16.Dwayne Smith(WI)-Hydrebad Deccan Chargers ($100,000)

17.Mashrafe Mortaza(BAN)-Kolkatta Knight Riders ($600,000)

This 17 players were bought by the IPL teams authorities.Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff both have become the most expensive player of IPL.That brings the end of the player auction.

Link:
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ipl2009 ... 89462.html
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/breakingnews/ ... /ipl_2009/

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: IPL player auction of 2009

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I don't like the look of things here. My home team of Bangalore getting Peitersen, and what's more Mallya might sack Dravid as captain and give it to KP too. We all know his power hungry history. Jesse Ryder, who has a weakness for the bottle joining liquor baron Mallya's team is also not encouraging. Things are going from bad to worse for the Royal Challengers.

Another thing I cannot comprehend is the buying of Ashraful ahead of Shakib. Baffling to say the least. Fidel Edwards for T20? Give me a break. Why not Andre Nel?

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

My opinion is that Kevin Pietersen should be made the captain of Bangalore Royal Challengers.Rahul Dravid had a very disappointing IPL tournament last year both with the bat and captaincy.So,he should be removed from captaincy.

If I amnt wrong,Adam Gilchirst will be captaining Hydrebad Deccan Chargers this year.This is a very good move indeed after sacking VVS Laxman.

I am also suprised that Mohammad Ashraful is bought in the IPL but no buyers for currently world's no 1 ODI allrounder Shakib al hasan.This is very strange!Both Mashrafe and Ashraful are shoked with no selection of Shakib.I dont know what's the IPL teams are thinking about.They have really really did a mistake picking Ashraful not Shakib.Ashraful is talented and did score an extra-ordinary ODI against Australia in Cardiff.Everyone thinks Ashraful like this,a brilliant stroke player.Even people from Bangladesh also thinks that if Ashraful is out,Bangladesh will also loose the match.But the reality is that after the dismissal of Ashraful a batsman comes into bat in the 5th position and he is Shakib al hasan.Shakib is very responsible batsman not like Ashraful.Ashraful is very inconsistent with the bat though he sometimes fires but very often.I think,Shakib is more unknown to the world inspite of his brilliant performance.I will say its not Ashraful but Shakib al hasan is the best batsman of Bangladesh.The world must rely on it.Shakib averages 33 in ODI and 26 in tests,both can be improved in the future.While Ashraful averages 23 in both tests and ODIs.So,who is the better!I think,Mumbai Indians could had a benefit if they bought Shakib al hasan in the same base price which they spent for buying Ashraful.Shakib is a complete cricketer.A very good aggressive batsman,very economical left arm spinner and a very athletic fielder.

Fidel Edwards can be expensive in the T-20 arena.Andre Nel was with Mumbai Indians in the last year.But his recent form is not that well.I think for this reason he is left out.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Some more information about the IPL teams.

Link:

(How the teams stack up)
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ipl2009 ... 89500.html

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Detective RDS wrote:Rahul Dravid had a very disappointing IPL tournament last year both with the bat and captaincy.So,he should be removed from captaincy.
I agree that the team composition Dravid went for was not right, but his personal performance was not as bad as it is being made out to be. But the irresponsible media was blaming him for anything and everything. Look at the records here: Dravid was the top scorer for the team with 371 runs (Avg: 28.5 SR: 124.5). There was no firepower in the team to back him up.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Rahul Dravid did well but not well enough to save his team.Even the striking rate of some IPL batsmen is over 150.So,Dravid needs to improve his striking rate too I think.But he wasn't on top in the fact of captaincy which ended up a disappointing performance of Bangalore Royal Challengers,7th in the table only ahead of Hydrebad Deccan Chargers.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I heard that there is still a chance for the unsold players to play in the IPL season 2.They can be bought by the IPL team owners as a replacement player.As we know there is also international cricket to be played after sometime along with IPL.But I strongly suspect,people will watch international cricket infront of exciting Twenty-20 match of IPL!