Is Cheteshwar Pujara world crickets next up and coming star?

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Is Cheteshwar Pujara world crickets next up and coming star?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'll start off by saying that I haven't seen much of Pujara, but I am seeing his name more and more. He scored another century today which prompted me to post this topic.

What I like is that he's not one of these fly by night T20 heroes. His T20 record is pretty average, but his First Class record is exemplary. In 70 First Class matches he's scored 5307 runs at 57.68 with a highest of 302*. Currently in the middle of his 8th Test match his average is a remarkable 84.50, having scored 676 runs with a highest score of 206*. His List A record is very good too, averaging nearly 57.

His record outside of India isn't great, but he's very early into his career. And obviously you'd expect his Test average to fall, but considering he's averaging high 50's in First Class cricket there's definitely some pedigree there.

He's been a real find for India at number three, and with Tendulkar approaching retirement age it's not hard to see the weight of India resting on the back of Pujara pretty soon.

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Is Cheteshwar Pujara world crickets next up and coming s

Post by hhm »

He's got a great FC record, like almost all indian batsmen who hover in the 50s-60s! Most have been waiting for him to replace Dravid, and one of the placards in the current match today had "Pujara, The Wall under reconstruction".

I've seen a few of his innings. Played a decent knock against Australia on debut and I was impressed. It was in familiar conditions against an ailing Aus side(which nonetheless deserved to draw both games or win one of them). Pujara was rather awful here in SA. In pacey wickets against the likes of Steyn, Finn, Roach, Pattinson, Morkel Im sure he'll look ordinary and vulnerable against the quick short-pitched ball. Even the likes of Jimmy, Philander etc will give him a tough time in swinging conditions I think.

As you point out it's still early in his career. He's still young and developing, can only prove himself in those areas by actully playing in those conditions so we'll see.

He strikes me a solid player. Having said that he's not too exciting to watch, something you hint at by your T20 facts. A Manoj Tiwary(or a Rohit Sharma finding his form) coming in for Sachin means I can tolerate him being sandwitched between more elegant strokemakers.

I'm tipping Kohli to be the greater batsmen - if he already isn't a legend by ODI terms, but in answer to your question, he has the potential.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Pujara was being tipped as the next Dravid in the domestic circuit for the last few seasons, and he has begun very impressively indeed. Specially the way he has made it into the team, via the test team, is reminiscent of Dravid's entry too. Dravid was very solid, but unspectacular at the beginning of his career, and developed his armory so remarkably that he ended up with 10000+ in both Tests and ODIs, and had great T20 outings as well. So, if Pujara, who idolizes Dravid, keeps his head and continues to tread the path that Dravid took, then he certainly is destined for great things.

I quite like the Kohli example by hhm, and I believe Kohli and Pujara could complement each other and become the next Tendulkar - Dravid combo - Kohli the more of a superstar filled with flamboyance, while Pujara the solid unsung kind.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think it is good to see some guys playing tests with application. I'd love for Zim to have a 'Wall'.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Jemisi wrote:I think it is good to see some guys playing tests with application. I'd love for Zim to have a 'Wall'.
I agree, I like to see it to. For Zimbabwe, I think Tino "Rahul "The Wall" Dravid" Mawayo can step into that role :)
And his protégé in the lower order, if we need a tail-ender to bat for survival? Kyle "Tino "Rahul "The Wall" Dravid" Mawayo" Jarvis :)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:I think it is good to see some guys playing tests with application. I'd love for Zim to have a 'Wall'.
If I would have to stick my neck out and predict one person out of the current crop to try and achieve at least 1/10th of that, I would say Regis Chakabva. He seems to have the patience and the technique to try that.

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

Short memory guys? I thought Taibu for a period, proved a number of times that he was a wall for Zimbabwe!
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

More often than not, that wall came crashing down because of a mistimed reverse sweep :(

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:More often than not, that wall came crashing down because of a mistimed reverse sweep :(
Ya i was going to say he swept too much to be labeled the wall in my opinion

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

A lazy 352 from Pujara today in the pointy end of the Ranji Trophy. To follow up from his 203 not out in the last match. Clarke-esque scores.
I'm really excited by Pujara, at 24 he's still so young - I hope he just keeps getting better and better.

I know the decks in India are batting paradises, evidenced by no less than 5 triple centuries this season, but that takes nothing away in my view. A triple century at any level, on any surface, is worthy of high praise.