The Sri Lanka question

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
zimfan93

The Sri Lanka question

Post by zimfan93 »

For anyone interested in my blogging (and just because I'd find it cool to get some hits from Zimbabwe :D ), here's a link to a piece I've done about the moral dimension of sporting contact with Sri Lanka, which is quite pertinent given issues in Zimbabwe. I'd love it if you'd have a read

http://ramblingsofapoliticsstudent.word ... t-cricket/

Cheers :)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: The Sri Lanka question

Post by foreignfield »

An interesting read and some valid points raised, although my understanding of SL politics, society and history is but superficial and I probably would be more careful with applying the terms "apartheid" and "genocide". But hypocrisy is indeed the word.

Nice to have you on board, zimfan93. :)

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

foreignfield wrote:An interesting read and some valid points raised, although my understanding of SL politics, society and history is but superficial and I probably would be more careful with applying the terms "apartheid" and "genocide". But hypocrisy is indeed the word.

Nice to have you on board, zimfan93. :)
Cheers, thanks for taking the time to have a look :) I'd like to think they aren't terms to use lightly, but given what I've read they do seem applicable here, given the deliberate targeting and killing of civilians on a racial basis (genocide) and institutionalised discrimination (a trait of apartheid). Thanks again for having a look, it means a lot to me :)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

A tad off topic but a telling tale of SL cricket in these days:
Take a bow, Mr Priyath Bandu, who made his first-class debut for Sri Lanka Ports Authority CC against Colombo last week. It was, it has to be said, a rather inauspicious start. Bandu batted at No10, making two from 23 balls, and bowled just 10 overs (out of 134) for 33 runs. But then, he is 39 years old. Exactly what could have inspired the Ports Authority selectors to give a debut to a man of that age? Bandu just happens to be the Chairman of the Sri Lankan Port Authority, which owns and runs the team. Rumour has it that the august executive is planning to run for a position in the Sri Lankan Cricket Association. Coincidentally, the electoral regulations stipulate that any and all executives must have taken part in a relevant tournament as a player.
Taken from the Guardian's Spin cricket e-mail.

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

I don't know what sillier- the regulation itself or the bizarre effort to satisfy it!

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I imagine a few people would be lining up to bowl at Makoni.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yep, bit of short stuff might be good.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sick of sri lankans.

literally flooding australia with illegal boats. Some of which were donated by us.

a month ago a few decided they wanted to go to new zealand instead and wanted to use perth as a pitstop.

if only i was prime minister.....
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Perhaps a few more illegal immigrant compounds will be needed in the desert?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:sick of sri lankans.

literally flooding australia with illegal boats. Some of which were donated by us.

a month ago a few decided they wanted to go to new zealand instead and wanted to use perth as a pitstop.

if only i was prime minister.....
I have a post abou that too... ;)

http://ramblingsofapoliticsstudent.word ... ane-sight/