Namibia

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Namibia

Post by sloandog »

What's the deal with Namibia these days. They seem to have a good influx of under 19's players in their side and all of them have good batting and bowling averages.

They seem to have got rid of the 'old guard' in Bjorn koetze, Gerry Snyman, Jan Berrie Burger, Sareal Burger etc, and brought in guys like Raymond Van Schoor (who i have bowled i might add ;) ) and Jon Davies, who is a genuine 90mph bowler.

They have recently won the T20 series against Kenya aswell, so are these guys a team to look out for in the future or what...

r@ndom

Re: Namibia

Post by r@ndom »

yeh i was also wondering about Namibia. They very nearly qualified for the world t20 in Sri Lanka (won the qualifying group but overwhelmed in the latter stages) they are also starting to have more black cricketers come through, granted not many but it's a start. They play matches in South Africa's first class structure i think and they were beating Kenya quite regularly until this series just gone so the future looks bright. What's their earliest opportunity to attain ODI status? i think they'll overtake Canada soon in terms of quality though i havn't seen much footage.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

r@ndom wrote:yeh i was also wondering about Namibia. They very nearly qualified for the world t20 in Sri Lanka (won the qualifying group but overwhelmed in the latter stages) they are also starting to have more black cricketers come through, granted not many but it's a start. They play matches in South Africa's first class structure i think and they were beating Kenya quite regularly until this series just gone so the future looks bright. What's their earliest opportunity to attain ODI status? i think they'll overtake Canada soon in terms of quality though i havn't seen much footage.
Canada are simply dire. They've only ever had 4 decent batters in Ian Bilcliffe, John Davison, Geoff Barnett and Ashish Bagai, and nobody else, nor do they have anone coming through. Namibia seriously do have some talent coming through their ranks, and have a healthy under 19's system

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If Zimbabwe ever completely disintegrates, Namibia is my back-up team. Namibia seems relatively stable (a few land issues) and infact the white population has increased since independence which is evidence of the stability.

One famous Namibian cricketer was Rudie van Vuuren who represented the country at both the cricket and rugby world cups.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:One famous Namibian cricketer was Rudie van Vuuren who represented the country at both the cricket and rugby world cups.
Very average bowler, not sure about his ability in rugby, but in cricket he was an average player...though he did take 5 wicket against England :lol: I remember watching him bowl as a kid to Darren Lehman and he got destroyed in the last over.

Gavin Murgatroyd and Dan Keulder were very good batters, they pro'd in our league not long ago.
And they have some decent fast bowlers coming through their ranks now. Certainly a team to watch for the future

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Oh certainly his fame was the fact he was a dual international, not that he was a Namibian Shoaib Akhtar.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I've always felt Namibia is a solid side.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:I've always felt Namibia is a solid side.
There's not enough TV coverage of them though which is a bit of a shame. They have some real class in their line up. I watched Craig Williams bat against Afghanistan and he made that left arm fast bowler look very average!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think they are on the up. They are close to being better than Kenya and joining the front rank of the associates.

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

They gave England a really good fright in their 2003 CWC group match. At one point they were 3-174 chasing 273 in the 38th over, and would have won had it rained. http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65252.html