Australian TV rights

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
zimfan93

Australian TV rights

Post by zimfan93 »

Of interest to those of us in Australia- apparently Channel 10 could well take the rights from 9 after 30+ years. If it means more free to air cricket, it can only be a good thing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/c ... 34611.html

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Australian TV rights

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I hope 9 retain it, if Channel 10 get it they'll do it on the cheap. I remember when they did the IPL a few years ago the big drawcard on their commentary team was Ryan Campbell.
Liz Ellis and Luke Darcy would probably end up as part of the commentary rotation...

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

That was a cheap and nasty setup, wasn't it?

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

I know, but I really miss having domestic one dayers on free to air. I have many fond childhood memories of lazy Sundays spent watching them until 9 stopped showing them, so if Ten were to get the rights and show them on One, I really don't care who's commentating.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, me too. Weekend day time cricket that was just on was great. Beats the dodgy alternatives most of the channels stick on.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I remember looking forward to the World Series Cricket ODI Tournament every summer, free-to-air on TV3 in New Zealand in the 90s. Unfortunately SKY got the rights in the late 90s and I was reduced to listening on the radio. That 94/95 series with Australia, Australia A, England, and Zimbabwe was pretty awesome, particularly Australia A making the final against Australia and Zimbabwe defeating England in one of the matches and running them close in another.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

My best case scenario is that Ten takes the rights and also starts showing major overseas tours (eg. South Africa) like happened in the 90s

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

the problem with ch 9 is it gets complacent and run too much like a boys club. Alot of untouchables....

You see it alot with rugby league. Crickets a little different because we havent seen the alternative.

but as a creature of habit id rather the 9 setup.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

League commentary drives me up the wall.