The Ashes

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

The Ashes

Post by jaybro »

Well guess ill tee off 1st getting pretty excited about the 1st test and confident with Watson and Rogers opening there is a lot of experience and bit more solidarity plus Warner coming in @ 6 will give the Aussie that aggression they've misses since Gilly retired

I am concerned for England though with Compton being dropped how are they goin to legally field a team without filling their quota of 4 South African born players in their XI ?????

:D :D :D
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: The Ashes

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Ashton Agar has really burst on to the scene. There's a lot to like about him... his batting aside, he looks like a very confident spinner and he's bowled better than his figures suggest. I don't think I've seen this much promise in a young Australian player in their first Test since Michael Clarke in 2004.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah Agar has really come from no where I was surprised when Lyon was dropped but after watching Agar bowl you can already see he is goin to take plenty if wickets .....

What an exciting match can't believe no one us talking about it ????

zimfan93

Post by zimfan93 »

As someone who's fairly neutral, albeit an Australian, I'm really looking forward to this evening- I wouldn't write off Australia yet. This really has been a fantastic advertisement for test cricket. What has everyone else thought about the umpiring? I've written an article about it, basically I feel that the criticism has been a bit harsh. http://ramblingsofapoliticsstudent.word ... ce-of-dar/

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Great competitive match -- let's hope it continues as the series progresses. Anderson hunting for the last wicket as I write.

Ashton Agar, what a find for Australia!

Who can really blame any kid from Zim who aspires to play in this?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

foreignfield wrote:Great competitive match -- let's hope it continues as the series progresses. Anderson hunting for the last wicket as I write.

Ashton Agar, what a find for Australia!

Who can really blame any kid from Zim who aspires to play in this?
Well to be fair the finish to this match is a bit like the finish to the New Zealand Test in Bulawayo a few years ago. Zimbabwe have the potential to play in tight games like this... but in front of crowds of that size, or with the same sort of regularity or job security... probably not.

Australia need 20 runs to win with 1 wicket in hand, it's lunch right now. It's been a very intriguing game, I still think England hold the advantage but if these two bat for another 30 minutes then Australia will win because these two haven't really held back at all.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Some match that. Had a feeling this morning that only Anderson could bail England out on form, and that he did, in a spectacular way.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
foreignfield wrote:Who can really blame any kid from Zim who aspires to play in this?
Zimbabwe have the potential to play in tight games like this... but in front of crowds of that size, or with the same sort of regularity or job security... probably not.
Yeah, I didn't mean a tight contest like that but the Ashes in general -- the stage, the history, interest all around the cricketing world ... and of course it pays a lot better too ;) .

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Well we might see a couple of Zimbo's facing off in future Ashes series with Gary Ballance certain to play for England and with the Aussie's struggling to find new batting talents maybe Googly's boy Brundle may get a chance ..... with Khawaja certain to play the next test if he can hold his spot there will be an opening in the middle order for Queensland in the Sheffield shield ..... If he can make the QLD team he is halfway there .......

@ Googly do you know if he will get a QLD contract this summer ???

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

There is talk that due to the Pietersen injury Ballance might play in the 3rd Test.