The World T20 Qualifiers ...

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

The World T20 Qualifiers ...

Post by foreignfield »

... also known as the World T20 Pre-Qualifying School are under way to decide which six sides will join Zim and BD when the real World T20 Qualifying starts. I won't go into the ICC's infinite wisdom on show here (imagine a World Cup without the hosts in it), but rather take a look at who we are likely to meet at the next stage.

Four teams will most likely finish in the top 6: Ireland, Afghanistan, Netherlands, UAE (as hosts). This leaves two places open for a number of sides like Kenya, Namibia, Scotland, Canada, Bermuda, Hongkong, Nepal and PNG. All those teams can beat each other on any given day. I would love to see some new faces in BD, so I won't root for Kenya, although they have experience on their side. Nepal's bowling looks strong while their batting is a concern, but the team I'm really fancying this year is PNG. Having beaten Ireland in the warm-ups the Barramundi are riding on a high and are about to thrash the Dutch today: Having posted 193/3, they have the Dutch struggling at 47/5 after 7 overs.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: The World T20 Qualifiers ...

Post by Jemisi »

PNG are doing well

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, impressive from PNG. Is Paul Strang already on board? It is looking all downhill for our neighbours though, Kenyans and Robin Brown aren't enjoying their time there.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Nepal also going well

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Ireland are really dominating at this level (ok, they did not have to face Afghanistan) the way Zim bossed the ICC Trophy before Test status. I suppose Ireland will be put in our group now and, honestly, with the batting they have and our tendency to mentally disintegrate at major events I would make the Irish slight favourites in this shortest of formats.

Kenya are sinking further, not even among the best 10 associate sides in this tournament. PNG have a mountain to climb from finishing fifth in their group, but a lot can happen in the play-offs. Nepal have a golden chance now to qualify for a first senior World Cup, they'll be up against a surprisingly strong Hong Kong in their first play-off shot at qualifying.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Well done Nepal. What joy for the players and the fans. :D

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

So this is it: We will face Ireland, UAE and the Netherlands, the toughest possible draw imo.

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

foreignfield wrote:So this is it: We will face Ireland, UAE and the Netherlands, the toughest possible draw imo.
The UAE are not much of a challenge, given their absymal fielding standards and possible loss of a key player, Nasir Aziz, due to chucking claims. Ireland will certianly be a challenge, and a full strength Dutch side, with Ryan ten Doeschate, Tom Cooper, Dirk Nannes and Timm van der Gugten, will be one too. IMO, it could be a three-way race between these three.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Im guessing only one side goes through ??

This is a real challange for us Im also thinking big prize money is at stake ??

One thing in our favour is BRMT, Hammie, Chigs, SRB, Vusiand Sean Williams have recently played in BD where the other nations havent had much exposure ..
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I meant "toughest possible" in the circumstances, i.e. Ireland is better than Afghanistan, UAE better than Nepal, the Dutch better than Hong Kong.

It will be interesting to see whether Tendo wants to highlight his international T20 journeyman profile once again and make himself available. But as you said, the three fake-Dutch Aussies would also be a factor. At "full strength" the Netherlands are just a travesty of international cricket.

Ireland have the batting to scare the s*** out of every team in the top flight in this format on any given day. With the amount of cricket we are currently not playing, I'd make us second favourites. We should have the better bowling resources though, but then again our bowlers have mainly impressed in the longer stuff recently. Vitori (and Chatara?) will be absolutely crucial with the new ball.