Bangladesh: have they secured a quality top order ?

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Bangladesh: have they secured a quality top order ?

Post by sloandog »

As i watched the Asia cup yesterday, two things struck me about the Bangladesh top order. a: how mature they played against some of the best bowlers in the ODI game, and b: how classy they looked.

The young keeper Anamul Haque looked as good as any right hand batter in the world, with those silky drives and pull shots.
Mominul Haque is probably has the biggest pedigree so far in terms of bursting onto the scene. Three test centuries already to his name, and he just emphasized his class with an easy 51.
Everyone knows the class both Rahim and Shakib Al Hasan possess with the bat, and have done since the 2007 world cup in the West Indies.
Then there's young Nasir Hossain, who has had a quite time of it so far, but again played superbly against New Zealand in test cricket.
Throw in Tamim Iqbal and Imrul Kayes, and Bangladesh actually have a world class batting line up. And they're all very young. Rahim, who started in 2004, is till only 25! I must say as much as i support Zimbabwe, I do love watching these fearless young Bangladeshis bat, especially when young, exciting players are coming through the system.

All they need now is a couple of genuine fast bowlers.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Bangladesh: have they secured a quality top order ?

Post by foreignfield »

sloandog wrote:All they need now is a couple of genuine fast bowlers.
But where to find them? Are there any fast bowling prospects coming through the system, Kriterion_BD?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Taskin Ahmed is the big hope ......

But even spinners are a problem for BD Gazi seems to have stagnated and there doesnt seem to be any one else coming through ....

Way too dependent on Shakib when it comes to bowling .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

totoro

Post by totoro »

I find it strange that they don't have may older players in their domestic competition. Where do they go? It seems to be improving, with the established players sticking around; maybe it was just due to pay in the past.

They certainly have some promising batsmen though, as you've mentioned. :)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

foreignfield wrote:
sloandog wrote:All they need now is a couple of genuine fast bowlers.
But where to find them? Are there any fast bowling prospects coming through the system, Kriterion_BD?
What happened to Shahadat Hossain ?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

yeah Shahadat Hossain showed real promise and had some good performances but his form of late has deteriorated dramatically .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The current top order is by far their best in terms of talent since they got test status. And they are young too. So, they can only get better. Shahadat was more like our own Mpofu - brilliant on occasions, and taken apart on others. They need more consistency. Initially, I thought they were on to something really impressive with Mortaza and Tapash Baisya. Both has a series of injuries that hampered them. Baisya for example, could have been the Kulasekara for BD.

syedmahm

Post by syedmahm »

Thanks for taking part in a wonderful discussion. You guys really keep your eyes on the Bangladeshi players a lot! I think Bangladesh's main concern is fast bowling as always with spin department is added to the list lately. Razzak is around the end of his career and Shakib is looking out of form with the bowl. Gazi has loosen his grip as well. I have not seen Bangladesh's spin department looking so bad and ineffective in a long time. I think it's something to do with proper guidance. BCB is not using Saqlain properly and there is none other Spin bowling coach at this moment. As far as fast bowling goes, it remains Bangladesh's weakest area. But it never looked this bad because spin department always filed up the gap, and now it does not. After Al Amin, there is Taskin Ahmed who is in the pipeline. But traditionally BCB has very little to offer for the pace department.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Razzak should still be around for a while shouldn't he?

syedmahm

Post by syedmahm »

Jemisi wrote:Razzak should still be around for a while shouldn't he?
Honestly I would love to see him stay in the team for another couple of years. But it looks like he has lose his determination! Hope he proves me wrong.