Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Making this thread as I think we've picked the absolute best possible side we can - not something that usually happens although our selectors have been pretty good overall for a long time.

Biggest news is perhaps that Rubel Hossain has seemingly been vindicated of the rape allegations thrown his way by some model he was banging when she found out he was messing around with other girls as well.

Pretty young squad for us as well...average of 24.6.

Our group fixtures are:

vs AFG
vs AUS
vs SL
vs SCO
vs ENG
vs NZ

I would say we are most likely to upset SL and ENG, and I'd back us to win at least 1 game against the top 8 with the side we've picked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

Post by grant »

I'll have to admit it's a pretty good squad.
And you're right, BD is most likely to upset SL and ENG.

But I'm sure AFG too would be planning to upset a few teams....
In fact, BD would be their primary target ;)
Kriterion_BD wrote:Biggest news is perhaps that Rubel Hossain has seemingly been vindicated of the rape allegations thrown his way by some model he was banging when she found out he was messing around with other girls as well.
:lol:

But I'm not sure if Tamim would be able to cope with the conditions in Aus & NZ. He became very edgy at times in the Zim series against the seamers.
And Nasir is back- he's always been one of my favorite BD batsmen.

grant

Post by grant »

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I highly doubt BD will be able to upset any of the top 4 nations in their group, Aus, NZ and Eng are all in favourable conditions whilst Sri Lanka play a one day series in Aus every 2nd year it seems and always play well, compared to Bangladesh who have never even played on these grounds before .....

I feel Pakistan and the West Indies are the most vulnerable of the big 8 .......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:I highly doubt BD will be able to upset any of the top 4 nations in their group, Aus, NZ and Eng are all in favourable conditions whilst Sri Lanka play a one day series in Aus every 2nd year it seems and always play well, compared to Bangladesh who have never even played on these grounds before .....

I feel Pakistan and the West Indies are the most vulnerable of the big 8 .......
We've knocked off India, South Africa (then #1 ranked in ODIs), and England in the last two WCs. Our squad is significantly stronger this time around with zero deadweights on the team - except Mahmudullah and even then he has earned his spot on the team. Most BD fans think this is a very good squad, and I'm in the significant minority who thinks its the best possible squad. Only player I don't like in the squad is Mahmudullah. It now appears that Rubel will most likely not make it, and even then his replacement Shafiul Islam is a pretty decent bowler.

My view is the conditions in AUS won't be that hazardous. India are raking up big scores along with the Aussies and thus the pitches will be flat. We will also see drop in pitches on most grounds, I think. At any rate, the ICC is in charge of pitch curation and will generally make flat wickets with little swing or seam. There may be the odd track that hinders batting.

Even without Rubel, our seam attack is quite good - best we've ever had by far. Spinners, as always are our strength, and I can see England struggling. We match up well with Sri Lanka...even in 2014 they narrowly avoided defeat at least a few times. They've played 19 ODIs in 3 months before the WC and with a team with an average age of 65, you can expect some injuries and poor form.

AUS and NZ have already been written off.

PAK and WI are most vulnerable, but they are not in our group.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Do u really think you can beat England in Aus conditions ???

Yes BD have own games against big nations in the last two world cups but Caribbean pitches and Bangladeshi pitches are nothing like Aussie pitches, I just can't see BD progressing with the pool it has been dealt .....

Let's not compare Indian batsman to Bangladeshi batsman lol Virat Kohli has four test tons this series against Aus I can't think of any BD batsman who could score one. You must remember none apart from Sakib have played in Aus !!! I don't think some people realise how big a disadvantage this is .....

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

If Sean Williams is expected to single handedly reverse an 8-0, I dont see why not. But Yeah I'd do think BD can beat England in AUS. we've beaten the ATG Australia side with Ponting, Hayden, McGrath in England before and England in England as well. We don't have to beat England per set, we have SL in our group as well. Also a fellow Asian side. We can beat any side in limited overs in any condition. Overseas we will probably require a good day with the opposition having a 'bad' day. Fortunately England mostly have bad days in ODIs.

Are we likely to beat them, no. However, there's no reason to be fearful of mythological greentops that don't exist. This is an ICC tournament and the pitches won't be acting crazily. If we lose it won't be due to the pitch conditions, it will be due to poor execution at key points in the game...ie having the opposition at 80-4 chasing 260 and letting them off the hook. Maybe throw in an umpiring howler. But it won't be because the ball was swinging around like crazy or even because yorkers are bouncing over our heads.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I still don't think they're a snow balls chance in hell .....

Seam attack isn't very good ......

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Seam attack is the best we've had, however good that is.

Mashrafe is a class limited overs bowler, and world class if finishes his spell inside 45 overs (terrible death bowler). Al Amin has shown potential by bowling at the death. Then there is Taskin who I'm already predicting is going to be our first truly good quick. Rubel and Shafiul are adequate as the 4th string seamer.

If, and its a decent sized if, the seam attack plays to potential, it will be one of the top 5 seam attacks at the world cup. Especially if the pitches are green as you are predicting.

Its entirely possible we lose to AFG or SCO, and thereby miss the quarterfinals. But then we are just as likely to beat one of ENG or SL.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Rubel is out on bail again and will be training with the squad.